Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 'bargain' 24v

Well at a push, yes. But I will re gear my diffs when I put them on. Auto diffs will go into a manual quite nicely. And I have spares on the shelf.

C

And of course stick my spare Iron Man suspenders on it. with extended bumps stops.

I had 33" Insa Turbos on mine and they literally ate the wheel arches. I fear Jon is correct. Munch Munch.

C

Thanks Lads,food for thought there. Was gonna hold onto the Simex anyhow for when I eventually ruin the set on the Disco seeing as they're pretty hard to get your hands on these days! Will have to keep my eye open for something a little 'softer' for the 80. I'd imagine they tear the drivetrain up just as much as the wheelarches with the combination of power/weight/grip
I,for some reason assumed the auto diffs were taller on the gearing,so that's worth knowing,been down that road with LR's and it can get very costly!
Got me thinking now!

Another quick update,The 80 is now sporting a 2" lift with Ironman B's courtesy of another member(Thanks Andrew!) and Ive also ditched the centre silencer.
Original springs were showing thier age after nearly 300k/18 years,especially so when pulling my loaded flatbed trailer,to the point that the drop plate would all but scrape the floor and the front end pointed skywards.I messed about with drop plate height on the slider and tried positioning trucks further back on the trailer etc. to no avail,just made it very nasty to drive at anything over 45mph!
Im pleased to say that with the ironman kit on it carries the weight perfectly,unloaded the ride is a little firmer but nowhere near hard,Im very pleased. The noise without the middle box is a lot more fitting,fairly loud with the window open,louder when towing/pulling hard but not obtrusive. In fact its more like a V8 bellow! Did I mention Im happy?
Anyway a few more pics for your viewing pleasure,I like the way it sits,a little tail high(probably around 150kg or so in the back)
Only thing I could possibly complain about is that the 285's now look a little small in the arches? WP_20130503_007.jpgWP_20130503_006.jpgWP_20130503_005.jpgWP_20130503_002.jpgWP_20130503_001.jpg

Nice truck Captain, I have the same tyres as you and have been musing weather to have stock height or a lift when I buy new suspension. It does look good with what you've done. I think I know what I will do know as I have the same problem with the cattle trailer on. What did you replace the middle silencer with?

Cheers, Mark

Cheers Mark! I wasnt over fussed about lift,moreso wanted that bit more 'strength' in the springs but as its turned out Im very happy with. As a note it was the easiest suspension swop Ive ever done,took about 1.25 hours to do all four:icon-biggrin: I do like the way everything undoes on these things,makes a very refreshing change from LR's.
The centre box removal was a bit of a 'spur of the moment' decision and is actually piece of a 200tdi Disco downpipe stuck back in place,it had the right shape 'kink' in it and is same diameter as the Toyo system. I just sleeved both ends to join it back up and chopping the box either end and a bent piece of steel back up to the mount. So pleased with the sound I do kinda wish I did a nicer job! Didnt take any pics as I was a little embarrassed too, as everyone else posts pics of nice shiny stainless examples:cry:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If I had family/people to move around, or was planning a big trip/expedition then I'd have bought the vehicle voted the best ever 4x4, The mighty 80 series! :icon-biggrin:

But being on my own, and wanting a truck just as a toy to drive up and over the gnarliest terrain I can find then I think the 70 is perfect! At the moment an 80 would be too big for my needs. :icon-twisted:

But maybe one day! :icon-cool:

64k will be enough for anyone said Bill Gates :)
You'd be surprised how cool the 80 is for a 1 man band Ben! It'll happen i know it ;)

Beautiful truck there Dan... Very jealous!

Last edited:
These 80's are like LR's,apparently you cant just own one?
The damned things are breeding!

WP_20130629_001.jpg

285's looking small? You'll end up with 305's like me! :whistle: :doh:

They're OK but take a bit of turning and stopping. They certainly don't do consumption any favors.

Andy,what's the medication? buy a yard full so there's no more room?:icon-biggrin: Already got half a yard full of LR's that won't go away!

Clive,you noticed too? been trying to point this out to swmbo for weeks,thankfully you've just confirmed its a fact and its not me just being silly:lol:
Im thinking 315's though? especially as there's a bloke offering GG at2's at a spectacular price on Eblag at the min?
Consumption eh? thats crap already! Economy is for pussies!?!:whistle:

Andy,what's the medication? buy a yard full so there's no more room?:icon-biggrin: Already got half a yard full of LR's that won't go away!

Clive,you noticed too? been trying to point this out to swmbo for weeks,thankfully you've just confirmed its a fact and its not me just being silly:lol:
Im thinking 315's though? especially as there's a bloke offering GG at2's at a spectacular price on Eblag at the min?
Consumption eh? thats crap already! Economy is for pussies!?!:whistle:

I can't resist big tyres. 315's would look so cool. On asphalt there will be few drawbacks as long as you don't want to do much off-road unless it's swamping! I run 305 BFG muds too, most other "tall & skinny" guys look at me stupid...:lol::lol::lol:

Standard 80 16" alloys. Theyre only 8J I assume?

I think they're 8". I'm running on 10" steels. I tried to fit 15" dia tens, but the brake calipers were too big. on the 16" rims I really wanted the BFG Muds in 305/75/16's but couldn't find them here. I think that would have given me 35" whereas the 70s give me 33".

GG's are great by the way, I've had a set for ages. Only problem with them is the side walls are not very tough. I've lost 3 to rocks in the sides of deep ruts off-road. :icon-cry:

Ive been thinking about big steels lately,10j's would be cool! :icon-cool: I do like the standard wheel though.
Ive always been a big BFG fan but have had a few sets of GG's (at and at2) on other vehicles in the last few years,and Im impressed,converted even? I think they're a little softer compound than the BFG which makes them a little more refined??? They seem to last well and generally cheaper.:clap:
I also cant resist big tyres,I know I shouldn't/dont need bigger but it will look cool!:dance:
My Disco ran 305/70 Hankooks or 35/10.5 Simex's dependant on useage

The 80 is a big car, it should have big tyres. In the talon (in Romania drivers have to carry like a mini log book of the car which records the basic spec of the vehicle) the tyre size for mine is 215/80/16 can you believe that? :wtf:

Technically I'm illegal driving on anything different! :eusa-naughty:

Back