Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

MY Engine Rebuild Thread!

Beau

Country Flag
guyana
Hi Guys, I have owned my Landcruiser colorado for about 15 years now and over that time clocked up 150,000 miles. I know think the engine is due a rebuild as it seems very under powered and I am certain the head is cracked.....Again!

So I recently bought a 1kzt engine with the maual fuel pump, Inspected it and everything seems the same other than the fuel pump and the dipstick being on the other side. I have many options available and would like some advise.

Option 1- Simply clean up this 1kzt engine, then remove my 1kzte engine and then swap the fuel pump, sort out the wiring ect, and then put the new engine in.

Option 2- Just swap the heads over, replace valve stems as I think some compression is coming back up (some oil on top). And replace the manifold (the other one is better and cleaner).
Then take out the front Axle and re-seal the sump as some oil is leaking around it.

I am thinking more of option 2 as this will be easier and the cruiser wont be off the road for long. But firstly how easy is it to take out the front axle. I have taken out and replaced the head before so I am failry confident.

Any help appreciated, Cheers

I would go with Option 2
But why take front axle out when you have already stripped most things out of the way up top, why not just lift the block out and check for any wear and re seal the sump then.

Joe

I would have thought it would be easier to just take out the front axle, gaining me full access to removing the sump and therefore taking it off and re-sealing it, than taking at the whole engine and doing it. I guess on the plus side, I can re-spray the engine room and tidy it up.

Anyone know how easy it is to remove the front axle.

There isn't really a front axle. It's IFS on a 90 series. Removing the two drive shafts is relatively easy and so is dropping the front diff casing. If you crack on you can do it in an hour or so. It's all depends how benevolent the nut and bolt fairy Godmother is feeling. You can spend as long getting one rusty one off as you can on the who job. Nice clean non rusty example, pretty easy with very few tools.

Chris

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated! :clap:

Back