Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

my grey 80

Hi Jon, had to stop using the forum for ages as it seems me and another poster coming in from the Spanish networks were giving the site some headaches, I often got so frustrated with the pages freezing that I would give up and go kick the cat!

A few weeks ago I spent some time with Crispin and using remote access it seems the Gremlins have been all but banished. So having spent some time flicking through as you do I found this thread, we seem to have a lot in common in wanting good quality and often having to make it ourselves. Never seen your truck before and I am envious to say the least. I have not seen anything I would not have on mine, alas the Spanish authorities and bureaucracy here makes modifications a nightmare, if I returned to the UK to live perhaps we could do a swap? Then you could start over, just think how easy it would be now you have had a practice run, and you would have no reason to be bored for a few more weeks! :lol:

A great machine mate,

regards

Dave

Oh dear Dave. I rather fear you've a little catching up to do..

Oh dear Dave. I rather fear you've a little catching up to do..

Your right Chris, I just spent a good while reading through it, the more I read the more I realised, I have more chance of burning my ar*e on a snowball than getting him to swap !:icon-biggrin:

It really is a great vehicle with impressive attention to detail.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Err, no, it's not that exactly. Jon is indeed generous to a fault, but as he doesn't actually own it anymore you're kinda woofing up the wrong trouser leg.

Been doing a little bit of baselining up till now, replacing dash bulbs and fitting an OEM cup holder in that irritating slot above the radio that I'd kept from my last 80 :)

Anyway - this lot arrived today. Pup was looking for a roo but she was disappointed :)

uploadfromtaptalk1427890347887.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1427890374682.jpg

I think the steering damper alone is bigger than the OEM shocks !!

More to follow as I go to fetch another parcel shortly!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Started on this lot today. What fun in the pissing rain. Not!

Anyway started at the back. The existing rear driver side shock was totally knackered and doesn't even self extend. Glad I'm doing this.

Old vs New shocks

uploadfromtaptalk1428079644356.jpg

Old vs New springs to come.

Key question. My 80 came with air helper springs (thanks Jon!!) but how do you get the buggers out the old springs??? I've struggled for bloody ages but they won't collapse enough to slip back out the spring. Help!!

Cleaned up the shock mounting plates, KuRust applied, paint coming later.

Refurbished the front OME851 springs that Jon gave me:

Before:
uploadfromtaptalk1428080097287.jpg

During:
uploadfromtaptalk1428080131930.jpg

Done:
uploadfromtaptalk1428080165590.jpg

The new OME863s appear to be the same height as the old ones but not as thick steel. Hope they're not too light duty. Time will tell ;)

Got fed up so went and started on the steering damper only to discover I need a ball joint puller which I've not got. Oh well off to Halfords or Screwfix in the morning. So that's hanging off the chassis :)

So in disgust I decided to fit the SandGrabba mats. Quality stuff, fit like a glove and look damn good. Photos to follow.

Fortunately I've got all new mounting hardware to refit everything. New ARB bushes front and back too as those are looking a tad tired also, along with new covers and bolts.

Oh and another question - how do you bolt the top plate to the rear shock top pin properly without damaging anything??

I just assembled mine and the flats on the shock pin stop it turning against the plate. Think I might have held the plate in a Workmate with some bolts through the holes.

Last edited:
Held the bottom eye on the vice all carefully wrapped and managed to get the 60-something torques needed :)

Back suspension now complete:
uploadfromtaptalk1428177056152.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1428177079385.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1428177100394.jpg

Picked up a 40mm lift both sides so that's ok.

Front shocks also out - the right one also totally screwed and not extending. Wonder what happened there.

Complete. 45mm lift achieved in the front so I'm happy with that.

Pedders754 (?) came out and OME851 go in.

uploadfromtaptalk1428245533324.jpg

Old shocks (one not working and one barely working) next to new - both fully extended

uploadfromtaptalk1428245629607.jpg

Shocks and springs in place after a city of tidy up with the wire wheel

uploadfromtaptalk1428245680438.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1428245714119.jpg

Wheels all rotated and back on. Looks a lot more balanced now

uploadfromtaptalk1428245753485.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1428245771446.jpg

A previous picture for comparison

7b46185ecd3ead5094dc59d4717bca7a.jpg

SandGrabba mats

uploadfromtaptalk1428245800827.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1428245825464.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good Gary! Also looks like a ballache of a job, might re-think this DIY business after all as I definitely don't have any 4-day weekends coming up any time soon :(

How does it drive now?

Drives beaut now. And although not gone far there isn't any noticeable steering wander either but I've yet to get to a motorway. Took it down my little back of beyond track and it's a lot better than it was - which was still better than stock as Jon had already upped the springs a bit. Having working shocks all round has also cured the vague steering as has a new steering damper.

Now to finish the stabilizer bars and steering refurb lol

Good bit of work there
I thought the sand grabber matts we're going to be like maxtrax ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks great.
Like the mats, look to fit really well.

Nice work. Looks great. :thumbup:

The rust monster has arrived ...

Jon has mentioned some rust spots needed sorting so I've been stripping out the back of the 80 in prep to take it down to him next weekend.

Holy guacamole, Batman!!! There's daylight there!!

68fc701f74c533a1693a71db210bc86d.jpg

b931521619116d058af67a46796002ef.jpg

7ae689cb7af92b6ccaf5935231e29a83.jpg

With a bit of luck the man's TIG skills will sort this lot, then it's a wire brush and rust inhibitor everywhere then paint.

I suspect this is not going to be a cheap fix :(

Noticed the upper tailgate bubbling too:

1d0a118eed63a025b139e41d934bd086.jpg

Need to find a decent body shop in Edinburgh I think. And then move to a dry location ;)

That looks ugly, just goes to show what can be lurking even on the finest looking trucks.

Repairable though, if you can find a guy with patience and conscientious enough to do a thorough job. Good luck finding him. :thumbup:

Back