Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Noisy PS pump or steering box?

IRLGW

I have had the dreaded leak on my PS system for about 7 years but its just over the O/S hub so Im pretty sure its the box/hose not the Pump as its on the N/S?. However there seems to be a droning noise from the eng but yet it doesnt sound like it is the engine itself. I have put endless tubs of Lucas PS leak stop in over the years and dont think its ever been dry. (prob a good time to apply for the money back guarantee) Has anyone experienced increase noise with their worn Pumps?

Yes. They sound "gearie"
Takes some serious neglect for them to get like this though ime.

7 years! Wow impressive length of time to have a leak for. Might be time to get it sorted. I had a leak in my PS system for about 3 years, and try as I might I couldn't locate the source. I knew it was leaking because we could see PS fluid dripping very slowly from the low point of one of the pipes but couldn't trace it back to find the source of the leak. In the end I had the PS pump rebuilt and changed a bunch of hoses which fixed the problem.

With any hydraulic system, like this, heat, contamination and time are the enemies. Any time with heat or contaminants in the system will start to have adverse effects. Focusing on heat rather than contaminants here, this is generated in any hydraulic system by the moving parts and critically by the fluid being forced through restrictions.

On the 80 the system is well designed to lose any normal heat safely by the pipe work below the radiator but when problems creep in and restrictions start to appear then this mini radiator cannot cope and heat builds adding further to the problem by thinning the fluid until it gets so hot it decomposes (burns) forming varnish and other deposits and making seals and rubber pipes hard and inflexible causing leaks.

The main culprit is the unloader within the pump which bypasses fluid back to the inlet to limit pressure. This has a tiny strainer in it which gets blocked over time and causes the unloader to let by all the time causing heat and that ‘geary’ noise as well as a notchy feel to the steering at points in its travel. The longer this is left the more signs will appear and the more parts will be affected.

The good news is if not left too long, an inexpensive pump refurb kit can be bought and the pump serviced within a few hours. The difference in sound and feel is amazing and there is a very good write up on here showing how to service the pump. The one caveat is to check for wear, particularly scoring. The steering box sounds here like it’s lower seal has hardened and this may be also a straightforward fix or it may need any groove in the shaft to be dealt with. There probably isn’t much if any groove but again, time adds to wear here.

The last thing will be to replace the rubber pipe from tank to pump and flush the whole system well. Any remaining contaminants from burned fluid need to be removed for a long life to the refurb.

Ok Thanks guys. There is no weep from the pump itself but there has always been a problem at the steering box end. The noise is like when you reach full lock and the system makes a different noise for which I am without words to describe but you have all heard it! I think I will rebuild the pump and replace the hoses in the first instance!

Yep, I’ve had all the above, plus some, and I beat the 7 years with leaks. Finally I’ve sorted all my ps leaks (for now) with progressive work, which includes 3 steering box rebuilds (mainly for other reasons) a pump refurb (but too late really due to running it without fluid for 10 days - not advised), and three flexi hose replacements, the return which was a cheap ‘made’ one which is still good, the other pressure hose was replaced with a cheap ‘made’ one lasting 18 months, re-replaced with OEM, not cheap ...
I’d like to think the saga is over, but I’m not convinced. My pump is low on power presumed to be due to dry running damage... hey-Ho, such is life

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ok Thanks guys. There is no weep from the pump itself but there has always been a problem at the steering box end. The noise is like when you reach full lock and the system makes a different noise for which I am without words to describe but you have all heard it! I think I will rebuild the pump and replace the hoses in the first instance!
Exactly, that noise is cured by cleaning the tiny ‘tea strainer’ filter in the unloader. Provided the rest of the pump is in good condition that is. They’re vane pumps so not ultra high pressure and are quite rugged and can be rebuilt easily.

Exactly, that noise is cured by cleaning the tiny ‘tea strainer’ filter in the unloader. Provided the rest of the pump is in good condition that is. They’re vane pumps so not ultra high pressure and are quite rugged and can be rebuilt easily.

I never did get a straight answer from my mechanic regarding whether they ever cleaned out that filter/strainer, Rich.

Is it something accessible from the outside, or would I have to strip down the whole pump to get at it? I suppose an exploded view would be helpful unless you could guide me from a photo or some-such.

If I have to remove the pump and dismantle it, I'll be taking it back to the spanner monkey.. too much hassle for a bone-idle lazy b'd like me... :lol:

It’s not something to do in situ Clive so you’re in the clear. :) There’s a thread on here about returning the pump which is about as good as you can get. I’ve highlighted the ‘tea strainer’.

My pumps leaking , or at least its wet and i've not even attempted to find the source because i won't be going at it before Romania as its its still an open question which truck i make the trip in .

With that in mind Clive i wonder if your guys will refurb it while i'm there , i have no idea how long the job might take though ?

My pumps leaking , or at least its wet and i've not even attempted to find the source because i won't be going at it before Romania as its its still an open question which truck i make the trip in .

With that in mind Clive i wonder if your guys will refurb it while i'm there , i have no idea how long the job might take though ?

They did mine in a day, but it’s a trip to Bucharest (110km from Comarnic) and I’ll have to book you in, so you’ll at the mercy of their date.

Let me know if you decide to get it done.

I’ll need your VIN and a clarification... just the pump or pump and steering box? If the box ain’t leaking, then leave well alone :lol:

No sense in giving it much thought Clive until i make enough progress with the truck to be sure i'm bringing it :confusion-question:

Just a something I have seen in the past on an 80, the gravity pipe running down from the reservoir can get perished and split, air gets drawn in and creates cavitation which sounds worse than what it is.

regards

Dave

Back