Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil specs suggestions for Transfer case, differentials.

Mucha

Country Flag
malaysia
Hey guys. I’m new here:blush: I need help with the oil change suggestions. I have a 2005 Prado TZ (fully imported from Japan) with 5VZ-FE & auto transmission. My problem is that the car didn’t come with any manuals as it’s an auctioned car + I couldn’t find any service manuals everywhere here & online. Car have just passed 100000km & I want to get these fluids changed before doing another long distance road trip. Any idea what are the specs required for both diff & transfer case? The car only has a centre diff lock btw. Ask me anything if you need more descriptions about the car that I know off.

Cheers.

Hey guys. I’m new here:blush: I need help with the oil change suggestions. I have a 2005 Prado TZ (fully imported from Japan) with 5VZ-FE & auto transmission. My problem is that the car didn’t come with any manuals as it’s an auctioned car + I couldn’t find any service manuals everywhere here & online. Car have just passed 100000km & I want to get these fluids changed before doing another long distance road trip. Any idea what are the specs required for both diff & transfer case? The car only has a centre diff lock btw. Ask me anything if you need more descriptions about the car that I know off.

Cheers.
It will be the same diff oils and Transfer box oils as the Lexus GX470 or AWD toyota Tundra etc , which is 75w -90 I use fully syn , auto box if 4sp (has a dip stick ) I think D111 ATF or toyota Type T- IV but not fully sure , if its a 5sp (no dip stick) they claim its life time but now tell you its 60k-100 k miles change depending how hard you use or tow with your truck its WS spec ATF I am sure on that . front diff uses 10mm allen wrench , use the socket type and make sure it is in as far as it will go tap it in with a hammer or wrench or you risk damaging the drain or fill plugs the drain can some times be tight , rear diff is 24mm hex as is transfer box, I dont know if you has LSD diffs , I dont know if my LC120 has so I used LSD 75w -90 fully syn in both diffs and 75w-90 fully syn in transfer box , hope that helps . I would use 5 w-30 syn oil in your engine , about 5.2 Litres with oil filter change , just over 3 litres in rear diff and around 1.4 in front diff and transfer box , the diffs and transfer box you just fill till it starts to pour out , auto box depending on type just sump change around 3.5 to 4 litres , I dont bother with the over flow plug on the 5sp I drain it cold at the same temp as the new ATF fluid is stored at, and see how much comes out and put the same back in , as hot fluid risers so seems more than when cold .

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be the same diff oils and Transfer box oils as the Lexus GX470 or AWD toyota Tundra etc , which is 75w -90 I use fully syn , auto box if 4sp (has a dip stick ) I think D111 ATF or toyota Type T- IV but not fully sure , if its a 5sp (no dip stick) they claim its life time but now tell you its 60k-100 k miles change depending how hard you use or tow with your truck its WS spec ATF I am sure on that . front diff uses 10mm allen wrench , use the socket type and make sure it is in as far as it will go tap it in with a hammer or wrench or you risk damaging the drain or fill plugs the drain can some times be tight , rear diff is 24mm hex as is transfer box, I dont know if you has LSD diffs , I dont know if my LC120 has so I used LSD 75w -90 fully syn in both diffs and 75w-90 fully syn in transfer box , hope that helps . I would use 5 w-30 syn oil in your engine , about 5.2 Litres with oil filter change , just over 3 litres in rear diff and around 1.4 in front diff and transfer box , the diffs and transfer box you just fill till it starts to pour out , auto box depending on type just sump change around 3.5 to 4 litres , I dont bother with the over flow plug on the 5sp I drain it cold at the same temp as the new ATF fluid is stored at, and see how much comes out and put the same back in , as hot fluid risers so seems more than when cold .

Thank you so much for the prompt & very detailed reply. I’ve done some researches on how to do the oil change but no one really explained the amount of oil needed as detailed as you. Yeah mine is the 4 speed auto & it does have the dip stick. Since I live in a tropical climate where the coldest we get here is around 24 celcius & almost 40 celcius the hottest on normal days, would 10w-40 be suitable for the engine oil too? And also, did you have to replace the crush washers too for all fill/drain ports?

Cheers. :)

Thank you so much for the prompt & very detailed reply. I’ve done some researches on how to do the oil change but no one really explained the amount of oil needed as detailed as you. Yeah mine is the 4 speed auto & it does have the dip stick. Since I live in a tropical climate where the coldest we get here is around 24 celcius & almost 40 celcius the hottest on normal days, would 10w-40 be suitable for the engine oil too? And also, did you have to replace the crush washers too for all fill/drain ports?

I live in a same temp climate as you , and my owners hand book states 5w-30 prefered in cold and hot climates but states 10w-30 and 10w -40 can be used but will use more fuel , fully synthetic oils stay in grade in very hot or cold conditions and for the small price difference over semi syn are a good insurance for engine protection , and to be honest I use 50% 5w-30 fully syn and 50% 5w-40 fully syn only because I can buy the 5w-40 fully syn oil 30% cheaper at a discount outlet and they dont sell 5w-30 fully syn , as for the crush washers if they are not damaged I reuse them , if you go on you tube type in Eric the Car guy toyota drive line service and he does the diffs /Transfer box /auto trans on a 4x4 awd Toyota in 2 parts , and are all mostly the same, but that is the 5sp which is a different way to refill , but remember to grease your propshafts six points to grease in all the unijoints take lith n02 and the sliding prop takes moly lith n02 , how ever Eric does all this service using hand tools the average Diy owner has , he is in the USA so you should feel at home with him , I enjoy watching most of his vids on you tube , just type in Eric the car guy and enjoy watching him do the job he makes it very easy to copy . enjoy .

I live in a same temp climate as you , and my owners hand book states 5w-30 prefered in cold and hot climates but states 10w-30 and 10w -40 can be used but will use more fuel , fully synthetic oils stay in grade in very hot or cold conditions and for the small price difference over semi syn are a good insurance for engine protection , and to be honest I use 50% 5w-30 fully syn and 50% 5w-40 fully syn only because I can buy the 5w-40 fully syn oil 30% cheaper at a discount outlet and they dont sell 5w-30 fully syn , as for the crush washers if they are not damaged I reuse them , if you go on you tube type in Eric the Car guy toyota drive line service and he does the diffs /Transfer box /auto trans but that is the 5sp which is a different way to refill , but remember to grease your propshafts six points to grease in all the unijoints take lith n02 and the sliding prop takes moly lith n02 , how ever Eric does all this service using hand tools the average Diy owner has , he is in the USA so you should feel at home with him , I enjoy watching most of his vids on you tube , just type in Eric the car guy and enjoy watching him do the job he makes it very easy to copy . enjoy .

Yeah I do watch Eric the Car Guy too. He's great at explaining things for amateurs like me. I already bought the genuine Toyota oil filter today. Still waiting for the supplier to source the crush washers just in case I might need it. And thanks for reminding me about the grease bit. Tbh I've never done any oil change/services myself before. Hence why I'm compiling as much info as I can before I proceed with the job. Youtube videos made it all look so easy ;p

You dont have to remove the sump pan on the Auto box to change the filter , I would only do that if the ATF is burnt or very dirty , If the ATF is in good condition when you drain the sump I would just refill instead of removing the sump and changing the ATF filter .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yeah I do watch Eric the Car Guy too. He's great at explaining things for amateurs like me. I already bought the genuine Toyota oil filter today. Still waiting for the supplier to source the crush washers just in case I might need it. And thanks for reminding me about the grease bit. Tbh I've never done any oil change/services myself before. Hence why I'm compiling as much info as I can before I proceed with the job. Youtube videos made it all look so easy ;p
These trucks are made to be serviced easely unlike some road cars . I have been servicing my own cars for 40 years and as cars developed they got harder to service , but Toyota 4x4 trucks are as easy to service as 70s road cars which is great .

Hey Tony sorry to bother you again but I want to know if it’s alright to use the same LSD diff oil for the transfer case too? That would save me from buying another extra bottle for just a small amount needed there.

Hey Tony sorry to bother you again but I want to know if it’s alright to use the same LSD diff oil for the transfer case too? That would save me from buying another extra bottle for just a small amount needed there.
Yes its ok to use , as long as its 75w-90 gl5 spec oil , the transfer box dont need LSD spec oil but it wont do any harm to use it , just remember the rear diff drain and refill plugs and the same with transfer plugs are shallow hex , I only use six sided sockets on them as 12 sided sockets can round them off , transfer box is alli and not steel so dont over tight plugs putting them back , engine drain plug is 25Nm /18fpounds, front axle drain 65 Nm/48fps refill 39Nm/29 fps, rear axle drain and refill 49Nm/36fps, transfer box 37Nm/28fps . on the transfer box and rear axle when undoing plugs keep one hand on the socket wrench head pushing it down so you dont twist it away from the plug to round off the head while the other hand is pushing anti clockwise to undo the plug , I usually thump the end of the wrench with the bottom of my fist like a hammer and it shocks it undone , use a long as you can get wrench as the longer the lever the more leverage per effert .

Back