Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

OK so it's not hard core overlanding, but we did make it to France and back

Mine heated up on the journey home from Scotland, thought it might have been something else playing up as i hadn't noticed it on the way up. Glad its not just mine then. Thanks for sharing Chris.

Yogi, that is it exactly!!!

I did have the AC on a bit and it did cool it. But I think some heat matting or fibre blanket would really make a big difference under there.

I thought the same Chris, but then I wondered something. Its a big old lump of an engine mated to a big transmission, both of which will be generating heat especially when travelling fast such as on a motorway. The transmission tunnel is also quite deep. I wonder does a certain amount of heat need to be removed via the top of the tunnel and the cabin?

That is just idle musings really, and there are threads on MUD where people have done exactly as your suggesting without reported problems.

Looks like it was a good holiday and a good run out for the 80, thought you'd have popped to Disney land though :lol:

I like driving in france as every time I've been the roads have been quiet.

Regards the trans tunnel, mine gets quite warm too, the cup holder bit upfront Is great for keeping the Costa warm. Saying that after a good run the right side slider warms up a bit too and can barely touch the wing where meets to the bonnet.

Excellent write up Chris, really enjoyed reading about your adventures. Found it so entertaining I read it to the household, they laughed and understood your accounts. Sounds like you had a great shakedown run.

Re the overtaking, yes they do like to keep thier indicator on, although much time spent observing this has given some insight. It would seem that keeping your indicator on when in a queue of overtaking vehicles, signals to the vehicle in front that you wish to travel faster than he is and that once he has passed the slower vehicle he should pulling in to let you pass. It does amuse me watching it, and sometimes taking part.

As most of the autoroutes are duel carriageways there can often be quite a queue in the fast lane, the vehicles end up driving very close together when in this position. It's entertaining but brings an obvious risk, all involved are reliant that no one makes any sudden moves and that no vehicles suffer any failures. Fortunately I haven't encountered too close a shave when in this position, but on day two of a trip to Morroco in Northern Spain, as I approached a Spanish HGV it blew an inner driven tyre on the tractor unit. I managed to avoid the large chunks of tyre, mudflap, light cluster, wheel arch and chassis bracket that all came off in the process. The green truck fully loaded with gear and the tent on top handled very well as I swerved around avoiding the debris. Gave the HGV's even more room after that close call.

I must say that I haven't encountered the flashing lights from the vehicle behind when overtaking abroad, unlike the impatient soles we share this island with! I think the driving standard of overtake and then pull back in is the norm abroad, but I suppose our roads are a tad busier than theirs!

A shakedown trip is priceless in helping you workout how YOU will live out of YOUR truck when on the road. Where to put stuff, how to organise the truck, how to refine your routine, Steph and I have had many comments over the years about how swiftly we can make camp and be sitting down to dinner. It comes with practice and each knowing their roles. A well set up truck is a pleasure, when moving on each day you want to spend the least time making and breaking camp, and the most time enjoying your trip. On those odd days when things don't go to plan and you end up arriving at camp under the cover of darkness, eveyone needs to know where the kit is in the truck and be able to make camp as though its a natural reflex.

Looking forward to following your trucks evolution and the next adventure.

I've never noticed my transmission tunnel getting hot and mine has the exhaust running alongside the gearbox. There is a heat shield lining on the underside of the transmission tunnel as well as the lining on the inside under the carpet. Maybe I just haven't felt it at the right time to notice.

Good write up Chris. Sounds like you had a good one :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Guys. I shall be looking closer when I pull the gear box out. I'll have some extra shielding to go in. Or an old coat or something.

Nice report CJ... The first or many we hope!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well let's hope so. Not sure I can rack 'em up like you but then I am only a Lotto win away from retirement.

C

Good read Chris, so you think you can handle Belgium next? Need to build up these distances slowly before Romania :p

My transmission tunnel gets really hot but only when driving at 80mph on foreign motorways all day long in the summer. Seen a few plastic bits and pieces melt/deform in the centre console over the years.

Last edited:
Good read Chris, so you think you can handle Belgium next? Need to build up these distances slowly before Romania :p

My transmission tunnel gets really hot but only when driving at 80mph on foreign motorways all day long in the summer. Seen a few plastic bits and pieces melt/deform in the centre console over the years.

Maybe worth putting some sort of heat shield to deflect the heat from the cabin? I've never had such a issue with my 90 series and at times I'm crusing at 90 on long stretches on the motorway. Strange because you'd think the air flow would be enough to cool the trans tunnel down considering how high these trucks are...

Heat shield? Good idea. I should have thought of that. Maybe I could do it when I swap the gearbox.

Nice one.

Heat shield? Good idea. I should have thought of that. Maybe I could do it when I swap the gearbox.

Nice one.

Looking forward to reading/seeing how the swap goes for you. You're putting the 100 series box in correct? I'm guessing the electronics are fairly straight forward? Or it it a manual box?

Manual Beau. Hence the issues with changing gear down from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st.

I have a 100 series box sitting here that I picked up ages ago in a, well a sort of car boot sale. It wasn't dirt cheap, but it looked barely used. No dirt, oil in it was golden, and when someone looked inside it for me there weren't any bits rattling around so who knows why it was there. It is the same overall dimension and fixings but has more webs in the casting etc. Feels all very smooth to turn by hand, but we'll only know when it's up on the car.

Back