Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

peeling bonnet, advice please! :)

BigRedT

Country Flag
uk
Hello every body,
car bonnet.JPG
I am a new on here , but after some horrendous 8 seaters (6 kids) we thought we'd forget fuel economy and leg space and follow our hearts, so we are now the proud owners of a beautiful 1998 Colorado, we bought it with a peeling bonnet which doesn't really bother us aesthetically but I'd like to take care of the car as it deserves it. My brother in law wants to just sand it and apply lacquer (he's got experience of this) however I think that painting it may be better because presumably it's got sun damage. The colour is K76 red, which doesn't seem that easy to get hold of either!
Thanks for reading this, hope someone can give us some advice.
Lizzie :)

Welcome to the forum Lizzie, not too many red ones about. My advice, take it to a bodyshop and ask their advice. Only red one I had was an 80 and it had the same problem, £120 at the local bodyshop sorted it out and years later the bonnet is still perfect.

+ 1 or simply live with it of course.

Lacquer won't work i tried it on my black truck and it doesn't alter the base coat colour at all . Bodyshop is your best bet (unless you live near me because they paint with a mop around here) but failing that look for an auto paints shop , most can mix up a rattlecan using just the code and the year of your truck .

Don't be tempted to use halfords paint its rubbish .

It's funny that Toyota red is the worst for peeling. Red of course as a colour does behave differently due to it's location on the visible spectrum. Quite how that affects the lacquer I don't know, but it certainly does.

Lacquer won't work i tried it on my black truck and it doesn't alter the base coat colour at all . Bodyshop is your best bet (unless you live near me because they paint with a mop around here) but failing that look for an auto paints shop , most can mix up a rattlecan using just the code and the year of your truck .

Don't be tempted to use halfords paint its rubbish .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thank you all for the advice, yes, I've noticed loads of different red Toyotas with peeling lacquer, looks rubbish on a taxi but doesn't look too bad on our beast! I'll find out about resprays and I'll leave the re lacquering well alone, thanks again,
Lizzie :)

The good thing about paint-shop paint is they can mix it to suit the colour of the rest of the truck.

It's unlikely that any part of your truck is K76 Red anymore, so even the right paint will be "wrong".

Welcome to the forum Lizzie, by the way. :thumbup:

Back