Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Petrol Price Debate

MrPaul

I have been listening to the debate. Personally I don't think it will do much good. Anyhow, there was one interesting point regarding cost of fuel over 3-4 years (actually cannot remember exact timescale).

Cost of fuel for a:

Ford Focus £6000
Toyota Prius £4000
Nissan Leaf £500 :shock:

Just wondering what the cost is for a landcruiser :)

on my average mpg in a manual swb 90 AT tyres winch etc and if my maths is right somewhere between 12k and 16k based on 10k miles pa

Is the leaf one of those pay no tax cars. I really hate that idea. Lincolnshire council hasn't got the money to fix their roads. Could this be due to the massive reduction in road tax revenue (The tax for the upkeep of the roads not a climate levy.) At the end of the day you could do 100k pa in a leaf and pay no road tax and put a lot of wear and tear on the roads of drive a hummer 1k pa and do next to none yet pay £400 in tax.

Tea ready now will continue this later

with a milage of 12k per year, I make it just over £3000

Chris Green90 said:
Is the leaf one of those pay no tax cars. I really hate that idea. Lincolnshire council hasn't got the money to fix their roads. Could this be due to the massive reduction in road tax revenue (The tax for the upkeep of the roads not a climate levy.) At the end of the day you could do 100k pa in a leaf and pay no road tax and put a lot of wear and tear on the roads of drive a hummer 1k pa and do next to none yet pay £400 in tax.

Its a question of time before these eco vehicles, paying £0 road tax and less or £0 in fuel duty, start getting taxed. As you say, the money to fix the roads needs to be raised from somewhere. I think that the danger is that the more electric vehicles there are on the road, the more likely it is that electricity gets hit by higher taxes - as if it is not already high enough! - with a severe impact on domestic use.

The other thing is that over last couple of years the politicians have been saying that there is going to be a shortfall between demand and supply of electricity because of a lack of investment in infrastrucuture - electric cars are not going to help this situation.

Now sure how they come to those figures but it seems wrong?
I use a tank a week. Currently coming in at about 110 a tank. Assume I work 50 weeks a year... (Poor Billy, no holiday...).

I bet those figures are skewed slightly to be slightly optimistic towards something.

If they go ahead with dropping the fuel levy, it will be a breather for a month or two before the companies creep it up. It's hardly going to be the start of all things good though. That's just wishful thinking.
Having said that, it's better than a slap in the face..

142.9 is the best I've seen in Hemel Hempstead. :(

Crispin said:
142.9 is the best I've seen in Hemel Hempstead. :(

Ouch!!

I quite enjoy the false sense of satisfaction of only paying 73p/litre for LPG. If I don't do the Maths it doesn't seem too bad... ;)

I looked into gas for diesel but the returns are not worth it (yet?)
It was going to cost about 2k to fit (IIRC) and return only 20% (claimed!) reduction in fuel consumption. If I drove 10mph slower I would get the same return :violin:

Enjoy your smugness :mrgreen:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
still 65.2p here, guess that makes me extra smug :)

Back