Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Photo piracy...

Gav Peter

Country Flag
england
Interesting one popped up today & I'm sure Jim won't mind me mentioning it...

As most do, I have a search digest setup on eBay for various bits & bobs, one of which is for roof tents.

It popped in at lunchtime today & to my surprise, there's Jim's truck Rex advertising a PrimeTech roof tent for sale... Odd, Jim hadn't mentioned he was looking to sell it...

So we click on it & it turns out not to be Jim selling the tent but a chap down south who's seemingly pinched a pic off Jim's build thread :shock:

Mind you, if anyone is intersted in the tent, its a vay good price at £300 - but it ain't the one on the picture!!!

Depending on how it is added to ebay, it could be quite fun. if they have hot-linked to it, Jim could change the photo to something like "This has been stolen" or "Comes with free bombs and drugs" and it would reflect in ebay. :lol:

:lol: Can you tell from the outside how its been linked?? This could defo be good fun :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've just sent him a question;
Hi,
Is the tent in the picture the actual one that is for sale?
Regards
Chas

Let's see what his answer is, watch this space.

pretty sure it'll be hosted on ebay, to prevent changing pics after an advert is posted, shame :twisted: Best bet is to complain to ebay.

that one is uploaded and hosted on ebay. It's mostly when they have pics embedded in the description where you can do it.

A pity...

Crispin said:
that one is uploaded and hosted on ebay
Yahboo... :evil:

I spoke to Jim & he seemed quite relaxed about the situation... Bit of a liberty IMHO...

Is Jims truck secure, maybe this seller is waiting for a buyer before going to 'collect' the tent :whistle:

Well, this is always a problem whenever you post photos (or even other stuff) on the internet/photo sites/fori/social sites etc. Some sites protect the pics so you cannot download them. If you feel strongly about it, either dont post or else watermark your pics.

You could complain to the 'pirate' hosting site, but I think it will be a struggle to have the pic taken down.

The whole issue becomes more complex where you have sites that have T's and C's that state that by posting to them you are transfering some of the IP rights over to them.

Cossack said:
I've just sent him a question;
Hi,
Is the tent in the picture the actual one that is for sale?
Regards
Chas

Let's see what his answer is, watch this space.
I got an answer, at least he's honest about it;
He says,
It is the same model, same colour but I stole the picture. I can't find one of it erected. It is currently on a Pajero mounted to open over the rear door. It does look pretty good as in this picture tho. Mark

Liked the hotlinking ideas :twisted: shame they won't work. I've winged him an email, as below:

Hi mate, just had a phone call from a friend asking why I'm selling my
rooftent! Would appreciate people asking permission before they used my
pictures in public places/for unintended audiences. You can keep it up, but
can you please add on the listing that the picture is not of your
particular tent/vehicle? Thanks a bunch, Jim.

It's only a picture at the end of the day and one I posted in a couple of public forums. He might even have found it on a google image search for all I know. If you search LJ78 in the UK mine comes up on the first page (along with Red October's) so it can't be that hard to have stumbled upon. So long as I don't get any more confused mates ringing me up I don't mind. I suppose this could all be seen as flattery! :lol:

Just a follow up, he emailed me back. He's an honest enough guy and had no idea he was doing anything wrong. I won't be holding a grudge

Hi, sorry about that I just google'd for a photo and yours came up. I don't
have a photo of the tent up. I assumed it was old copy. Although I should
have guessed better as my truck is older than yours! Thank you for the use
and sorry for any offence.
Mark

Jim.

Back