Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Problem with dash warning lights

Briane

Country Flag
uk
Between switching the ignition off one evening and starting the engine the next morning, the following warning lights remained on:-

- Battery
- Water
- A/T temp
- Engine oil
- Handbrake
- Timing belt

There is no real fault, the engine runs perfectly and other instruments such as battery voltage, oil pressure and water temperature all read correctly.
I think the problem may be due to a dodgy relay or a blown fuse but my searching has so far proved fruitless.
Any helpful suggestions from the more experience members of this forum would be much appreciated:pray:

Forgive if I'm wrong here, but isn't this the warning indication of alternator underperformance? I'm sure I've read this on other posts.

my 80 had a moment like this and it was the plug on the back of the alternator working loose. i tightened the spade terminals and cable tied the wire so theyn dont move and its been 100% since.
this came from a great bit of info from this forum.

stu

Between switching the ignition off one evening and starting the engine the next morning, the following warning lights remained on:-

- Battery
- Water
- A/T temp
- Engine oil
- Handbrake
- Timing belt

There is no real fault, the engine runs perfectly and other instruments such as battery voltage, oil pressure and water temperature all read correctly.
I think the problem may be due to a dodgy relay or a blown fuse but my searching has so far proved fruitless.
Any helpful suggestions from the more experience members of this forum would be much appreciated:pray:

My thanks to you all for your very helpful replies. You were right, the problem was the alternator; an exchange unit was fitted and the problem was cured. I still don't understand why ALL those warning lights came on and not just the battery charge warning light which would have given me a clue to look in that direction. When the problem occurred the battery voltage display was still reading normal, perhaps because my LC has large Ah capacity twin batteries which would not show much voltage drop from one easy start. Whatever caused all the lights to come on, I'm very pleased to be back in full working order again. Great forum and thanks again for your help.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back