Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Problems come in threes.

Roger Fairclough

I'm blowing gases into the overflow bottle. This is either the head gasket or the head.

So, questions are.

Who does the best head and gasket sets?

Roger

Sorry to hear that Roger. :thumbdown:

Mine was blowing water/steam out of the expansion bottle a few months ago, but only when the engine got above 80 degrees.
I'm hoping the new rad will have fixed this, but havnt had chance to find out yet. :think:

Johnie fitted a new head to his KZJ70 recently. So far so good, but he hasnt driven it much yet as its not on the road. Cant remember where he got it from. Roughtrax possibly.

I'm sure I read some where (on the other forum I think) about some one having huge problems with a milner head. :?

First thing I'd do is pressure test the cooling system, obviously it will show any pin holes in the rad as coolant will start squirting out. But if it doesnt, atleast then you can leave it connected and pressurised for an hour or so and see if the pressure drops.

Obviously if the pressure drops theirs a problem somewhere. :think:

I think I'd be tempted to go genuine on the head gasket, if you do need one. :icon-biggrin:

I've heard Roughtraxs AMC Head are actually "better" than the standard one....I've not heard of any of these ones failing yet... cost quite a bit at £500. There are apparently some good chinese ones as well floating about, I know a member on here had 30k+ Miles on his.

How much mileage you done on your truck, and did this happen all of a sudden? It's not that the heads themselves are prone to cracking or anything, but the fact the cooling system isn't as good as it should be for the motor, so needs to be in top condition!

I've heard Roughtraxs AMC Head are actually "better" than the standard one....I've not heard of any of these ones failing yet... cost quite a bit at £500. There are apparently some good chinese ones as well floating about, I know a member on here had 30k+ Miles on his.

How much mileage you done on your truck, and did this happen all of a sudden? It's not that the heads themselves are prone to cracking or anything, but the fact the cooling system isn't as good as it should be for the motor, so needs to be in top condition!

155,000 miles, doesn't burn oil and temp. gauge normal. I have overheated it in the past, needle close to red, but that was a long way back. Maybe to many short runs in cold weather.

Roger

I've been going through the same thought processes for Lil Blue, my independant garage would usually go for Victor Reinz or BGA gaskets as their first choice closely followed by FAI.

www.cylinderheads.co.uk

Think they are based in Manchester. The heads they sell are chinese but of good quality. My mate put one on his mitsubishi with no problems, and someone from here bought one, think it needed some resetting up but was fine thereafter.

Pete

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You're having some troubles there Roger.

My new head came from a guy in london, delivered the next day, complete with gaskets and bolts.
Searched on flea bay and it was good enough. Around the £500 mark.

155,000 miles, doesn't burn oil and temp. gauge normal. I have overheated it in the past, needle close to red, but that was a long way back. Maybe to many short runs in cold weather.

Roger

Sounds strange, could it be the gasket/head actually went when you overheated her but somehow sealed it self, and only now it's got worse and blowing back into the coolant? These heads sure do have a mind of there own.

Head has cracks between valves on no's. 3 & 4 cylinders. Also no's 2,3 & 4 have cracks on pre-combustion chambers.

Will probably go for Rougthtrax AMC head.

I am cleaning the block face at present. Should finish that tomorrow.

Roger

I bought an AMC head from Roughtrax. So far so good. Have put 25 miles on the clock, so will check coolant level tomorrow.

Roger

That was quick Roger, guessing it fitted ok then? Was it fully built up and setup ready to bolt on?

Got any pics of the cracked head?

The head comes fitted with valves, followers and cam and is shimmed up. I didn't check the clearances but hand compression is better than previous and there is no tappet noise. You need to change over all the studs---about 20---and the water outlet pipe to the injector pump is missing. In it's place is a threaded hole which takes a tapered gas thread adaptor, not supplied. Fortunately I had something suitable.

I will try and take some pics of the cracks but I am no David Bailey :lol:

Roger

Bugger.

Bugger, bugger, bugger.

I was ready to parcel up the old head. I removed the last of the internal packing pieces and found a small plastic bag tucked behind the end polystyrene packing block.

Inside was the adaptor for the water outlet to the injector pump.

If I had opened the box from the other end it would have been the first thing I would have seen.:violin:

OK, that wont be a problem, 'cause the one I made could be the genuine articles twin.

No, the problem is that also included in the packet are 4 "thingies","widgets", "whatnots", call them what you like; I haven't a clue as to their identity.

Picture to follow.

Roger

There's a shorter word for that....................
Hope they are not too important widgets :(
Steve

Picture herewith

P3090125_zpscab68a54.jpg

Roger

Back