Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 80: Codename Grey Ghost

Gutted. Ive got a box of seals if need any? Can bring tomorrow? Wont take long to pull the pipes and fit some.

Blimey Gary, that would be awesome.

Many thanks. Truly. Can we put the gas in a ballon and save it?

Not like I pay for stuff like that :icon-wink:
I'll dig the box out in the morning, had the right sizes when did mine. don't think ac machine will go in the boot lol.

Oh come on Gary. Surely you could hire a trailer from somewhere?

I dunno. Half a job.

Which tw@t led me to believe there was going to be a heatwave and panicked me into changing the drier at 21.00 last night after driving home from Kingston on Thames?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Got the truck to the garage first thing this morning. Popped back later on to se how they were doing. Everything unbolted just about to crack the bell housing apart. Will be done for tomorrow.

Fella reckoned it only just went on the lift.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Last edited:
Well that didn't go quite according to plan. Dropped in this morning just as they were finishing off. I went to get some cash and they rang me to say come test drive it. I jumped in and the clutch just went straight to the floor. I looked at them and said that's not right. They said we were worried you might say that. But as we hadn't driven it before we didn't know what it was like before the new one went in. It was dreadful, Stiff until halfway then it went to the floor, then the pedal didn't come back up again. Foot down in third and the clutch just slipped. It made a terrible creaking and clicking noise too. The old clutch was totally pooped by the way and was running on the rivets. Pilot bearing and release bearing were awful so it's good that they came out.

In an hour, they had it back out. I couldn't believe it. Compared to the genuine clutch the pressure plate spring (fingers) were thin and weak and also flat where the genuine ones were contoured. It said Valeo on the cover and plate but Valeo Korea, not France. I have an Exceedy one coming tomorrow that they will slot in double quick hopefully, but it's going to cost me in labour I know it. Thing is that if I had done this myself on the drive, I would have used this clutch and would now be looking at pulling it out again myself. So I guess it's the best of a bad job. So despite some people having no problems with them in the past, I would say a big no to Milner 80 series clutches. I should still make France. But I really hadn't expected this.

What a bummer. The damn thing should work properly even if is of lesser quality. What will you do about getting a refund Chris?

Oh, I forgot....

..... You're quite nifty with one of these aren't you....

:greetings-wavingye::violence-sniperpro:

Seriously, they should be liable for the extra labour charge for hawking unserviceable junk. JMHO.

I'm already on that Clive trust me
Yes I could understand a poor clutch but one that doesn't actually work?

Julian V has had trouble with their 120 clutches as well Chris. Real bummer, but if you did it yourself would you have fitted it in the first place?

That's a bummer if ever there was one.

The jury is still out on Milner for me I think, but you seem to get on well usually with their stuff.

I have bearings from them to use in my upcoming front axle rebuild (when I get a bit if time to do it) but everything else is OEM that I got overseas. Got 2 OEM later type non ABS cv's for less than 350 euro from a very reputable source (that's for the pair not each)

Your really making me contemplate chucking their bearings now and getting Koyo from a bearing stockist. I just bought them there for handiness sake when I got an exhaust section at the start of the year. They are Natchi (not sure if that's correct spelling).

Not had any issues with any bearings made in Japan. All been fine. Many parts from Milner have been fine but equally we know what to avoid.

Rob, that's the point that I made. If I had done this myself, I WOULD have used that clutch. Then I'd have been doubly f****d as I'd have to have taken it out again. At least these guys did it in an hour. So if I pay them for their time, it won't be as bad as me taking another whole weekend to do it myself and then put it back in again.

How frigging annoying is that about the only good part is paying someone else to do it :thumbdown: Where are you getting the replacement from?

I think we established the the Milner wheel bearings are not the hi cap versions you get if you buy 'OEM'.

Sure is JW. And in that at least I really do think these guys are good. All the questions I asked - casual like, they were on top of. Watching them work they were methodical and precise. Everything they took off went back on. They are getting the clutch from their supplier. So it's all a big reset for tomorrow.

Oddly on the subject of clutches, a neighbour of mine (who knows what he is doing) changed a clutch in an old Universal tractor about 2 months ago, 2 of the fingers broke off after about 6 weeks (of very limited use, belongs to an old man who potters about in it, google it for an image if your curious, they aren't like the big monsters of tractors we thnink of today). I wonder is the clutch market being flooded with rubbish too? Though I thought Valeo were a good brand.

Does it make a difference in these?
I honestly don't know, I could only speculate that hi-cap bearings will last better than the alternative but I don't know so. We never established the significance of hi-cap labeling, just that the Milner Koyo's someone had didn't say hi-cap and the 'OEM' Koyos did, I think :whistle:

Maybe we could get a hardness test done on some? What we need I guess is someone with a set that has failed and from memory, I can't recall any instances of non OEM early catastrophic failure. Of course badly installed OEM bearings may be worse than well installed pattern parts.

Well you couldn't write this. Arrived this afternoon to find the exceedy clutch that came is the wrong one. Cover plate looks right and has decent fingers but the clutch plate has the wrong splines! Go figure. So, a genuine Valeo coming tomorrow lunchtime. It's going to be tight. And we still need to pack!

Back