Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 80: Codename Grey Ghost

Well you couldn't write this. Arrived this afternoon to find the exceedy clutch that came is the wrong one. Cover plate looks right and has decent fingers but the clutch plate has the wrong splines! Go figure. So, a genuine Valeo coming tomorrow lunchtime. It's going to be tight. And we still need to pack!

Or take one of the others !!

One of the others? You mean THE other Stu. I only have 2. Nah, don't want to go in the green one. There's no point. The idea is that this is a sort of shakedown for the truck and the family. The green one is in daily drive mode. Might as well hire a Vauxhall Astra if it come to that.

Bad luck Chris. I've only just picked this thread up. You're right about the near miss on fitting it yourself. When your foot went to the floor your soul would have been destroyed.

To late to be of use i know but i got my KZJ90 exedy clutch from Roughtrax which is always my first port of call because their customer service is A1 . Might be some consolation for you Chris that the guy who fitted mine specializes in highly tuned race cars and bikes he only did mine as a friend of the family and he said exedy are the best .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I can't believe that Chris, whatever next?

Nowt, I hope, except a smooth and safe journey! :dance:

Well you couldn't write this. Arrived this afternoon to find the exceedy clutch that came is the wrong one. Cover plate looks right and has decent fingers but the clutch plate has the wrong splines! Go figure. So, a genuine Valeo coming tomorrow lunchtime. It's going to be tight. And we still need to pack!
I feel for you Chris, fingers crossed that it all comes together for you.

One of the others? You mean THE other Stu. I only have 2. Nah, don't want to go in the green one. There's no point. The idea is that this is a sort of shakedown for the truck and the family. The green one is in daily drive mode. Might as well hire a Vauxhall Astra if it come to that.
The green one does have a number of foreign trips under its belt, and probably knows its own way to the Pyrennes, but as Chris says this trip is for the Grey truck to prove its set up. Hope you have a great trip once your under way.

The green one would go there and back with nothing more than adding diesel Scott, that's for sure. It does drive superbly. But like you say, that isn't the point of this trip. It's not to say that me might not end up in that one, but it would cause some last minute changes and I don't have many last minutes left.

Is the green one the mud plugger ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, the silver one WAS the mud plugger C'mon Andy keep up. I sold that a month ago.

Well, at five O'clock it rolled off the ramps with a new Excedy clutch in it and my wallet £630 lighter. I will get a refund on the Milner clutch of course. So basically they charged me £350 labour to take the old one out, swap it, take it out again and put another one in. It was originally only £200 but then we hadn't counted on a duff clutch.

Just finished packing all the kit, spares, changing the gearbox and transfer box oils. It drives very well. Clutch nice and smooth. But it has shown the box up to be rather rattly I think. Not all the noise was the clutch. So tomorrow we point it South.

Pleased your all sorted Chris :)

Give Opie Oils a call and have a chat with them about gear oil with nano technology. It has definitely improved the level of noise coming from my front axle :) Not cured it, but it is without doubt more tolerable :) This was proved just last week when I dropped the expensive nano technology oil (£19ltr) and replaced with standard 80/90 for a 20/30mile flush out. I could not get the new fancy oil back in quick enough :)

It's one of the Millers CRX gear oils that I use in the front and back axles on Swampy, but the one I'm using in the axles can't be used in the transfer box or a gearbox as it has an anti shock loading component that attacks some of the component parts in transfer box's and gearboxes! You can buy the same oil without this additive :)

Last edited:
Appreciate that Steve, but there are issue with this box that oil ain't gonna cure. It's the curse of the old 80 I'm afraid. You can ease symptoms but you can't cure problems.

Glad it all came good for you at the eleventh hour. Hope you all have a great trip.

Safe travels.

Appreciate that Steve, but there are issue with this box that oil ain't gonna cure. It's the curse of the old 80 I'm afraid. You can ease symptoms but you can't cure problems.
I hear you m8 and likewise there's issues with my front axle that oil is not going to cure either, but the fancy oil definitely makes it more tolerable :) ;)

Last edited:
Fantastic news that it's sorted and ready for France

Completely missed fact you sold silver one and got green one, never saw the posts, will have a dig

Have a great trip and look forward to the pics

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blimey, what an episode Chris... Have a great holiday :) We're out on the welsh riviera near Harlech & I swear its hotter than France was last year!!! Have fun :)

Back