Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 80: Codename Grey Ghost

Thanks chaps. Yes, every mm saved is a huge saving on bending moments. I saw a really neat 80 on Oooh Toob yesterday that has a sloping wheel carrier which is actually a very good idea. Just not sure what I thought about the look though. However it was done in Arctic Cammo which I have to say looked stunning.

Thanks chaps. Yes, every mm saved is a huge saving on bending moments. I saw a really neat 80 on Oooh Toob yesterday that has a sloping wheel carrier which is actually a very good idea. Just not sure what I thought about the look though. However it was done in Arctic Cammo which I have to say looked stunning.

Ooh I presume this to be the one...
(Sorry the pic is a bit fuzzy)

I don't know why it's at an angle, maybe it's mounted lower than most....

what at a cool machine!

Here's the vid...

http://youtu.be/_oAD-mOIXcs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
Yep that's it. There is a thread on the prep and painting too. I want to do that to my silver one

Last edited:
whats the advantage to a drop down wheel carrier? they look like they would get in the way. although you could make a nice wrap around rear proction set up.

chris have you thought about the load liner stuff for your silver one. i have a good contact for it. would do mine but the paint work is to good to cover up.

stu

I have Stu yes. I saw a Lux done in Speedline. I could go with that I have to say. Bit of body bashing first then do it in that ghost cammo pattern. I wouldn't even need to change the V5

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
hi chris, just finished reading this thread, some great work, then realised the time frame, you've been busy,

out of interest what miller are you using, love the slots,

I bought the miller from JW a while back. It's a Chester Super Lux 45. Still learning a huge amount about milling, but getting better and better all the time.
Tonnes of torque. You can put really big drills in and drop the speed and it will rip a hole out before it even slows. You really do need good quality tooling for it though. Cheapo Machine Mart mills are rubbish. I buy individual ones from RDG tools. They cut very well.

http://www.chestermachinetools.com/super-lux-milling-machinebr2-axis-dro-3997-p.asp

Been a busy day again today. All I did on mods though was replace my rear arms with these thicker versions that have been tidied up and painted. No dramas there.

New rear arms.JPG

Nice!

Most things work better when they're thick and rigid...:wtf:

Really wasn't sure what to do with myself today. So I went into the workshop. Arf arf. More work on the wheel carrier. You know, at £1600 the ARB is looking increasingly attractive.

Made a thing to sit the high lift jack in. Doubles as a Braai for very small pork chops.
Screen Shot 2013-12-31 at 17.49.58.jpg

Made a support for the main leg; which I later shortened to get the tip of the jack much lower. It's now below the roof line. Also came up with a genius way to lock it in place. But that's for tomorrow as is the number plate and light.

Screen Shot 2013-12-31 at 17.52.07.jpg

Remodelled the hub carrier too. Just wasn't in love with it. Looks better now and works a treat. Still thinking about building in a little tray or something on there - just to put cups or pint pots, you know.

Screen Shot 2013-12-31 at 17.51.38.jpg

Happy New Year to all those that can and those that wish they could. Make 2014 the year YOU buy a welder. Or win the lotto and just buy bits from a catalogue. :pray::pray::pray: I know I'm a sinner but make me a winner

Cheers Joe. Left it out overnight. Been lovely all Christmas. Found the foot filled with water. It now has drain holes.

Well all going according to plan so far. I think. Actually managed to go out for a drive today. Just give the rear carrier a shakedown. Absolutely solid. Few bits to finish off and then coating of course.

P1010342.JPGP1010343.JPGP1010344.JPGP1010345.JPG

Got the number plate all sorted and lit. Went with nice easy option on the bumper.

P1010346.JPG

Looks great Chris!.

On advice up the page I bought a Welder!, it's only a small one, but I hear its what you do with it that counts!.

Had a go, mmm...dollops of weld appeared, no idea really how to set the thing up, how fast the wire needs to come out, turbo button on?, lol... And there's a small pipe for gas / bottle but I don't have any.

So, advice taken.... But really do need a good mask first haha.

Danny.

Looking good Chris; you thinking of getting the rack coated black by any chance... :cool:

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Gav, rack would look nice in black. But it's already coated. I could have it sprayed in some sort of epoxy I guess. It's a very good rack, but not one that I am particularly fond of. I prefer the ARB wire basket type, but these are good for putting roof tents on and of course, I already have it.

Looks alright that does Chris :icon-biggrin:

With the exhaust poking out behind the rear wheel, any potential issues with catching it.
Just trying to get ideas for mine tbh as goes in soon for a stainless.

CJ, when did you change the colour of your wheel arch flares? More so, why?

Sorry Chap. Not guilty. Been grey all over since i got it. Now actually I would like to change them - pure vanity. I like a bit of contrast. I never liked my white one that much, but Rob's is with with charcoal flares and it looks totally different. What made you think I had changed them?

Gary - just a temp lash up. Do you always look on the web with a magnifying glass? Well spotted. I was fitting the bumper and got so hacked of with the rear silencer that, well, I hacked IT off. The pipe was then under the car and fumes were collecting in there so I found some old exhaust, cut a bend from it and rammed it onto the end of the pipe. Ultimately I shall have a system made up. But not til I have planned the slider-steps probably to determine the best route through.

Not sure about these springs. They ride lovely, but as you can see in profile, with a full tank of fuel, drawers and not much else, it's not riding that high. Remember these are 35" ATs. I can put packers in as I have material standing by, but that's a bit of an artificial lift. I was wondering about some Slinky Springs. Or perhaps just good old Old Man Emu. I found those a bit harsh though. I am not buying any more Iron Man stuff. The ride is nice, I am just not sure that they stand up to being heavily loaded over time. Got the roof tent and aux tank to sit on the arse end yet and that's a lot of weight plus the front winch and sliders plus water tank blah blah.

Back