Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 80: Codename Grey Ghost

Have you looked at the pedders springs? Iirc they do some for constantly loaded.
I run the normal lift ones, little bit harsh when the boot is empty but loaded and winch etc on rides nice, not too firm not too soft, not peeled or anything yet. If I'm over your way before you decide quite welcome to have a drive see what you think.

Ref the exhaust, when your looking for ideas usually spot stuff like that as undecided on an exit point.

Ref the exhaust, when your looking for ideas usually spot stuff like that as undecided on an exit point.

Did lots of measurements when I had my s/s zorst made up and decided to go straight out the back as Mr T intended.

Every other idea looked to compromise ground clearance.

Lovin' the carrier Chris:thumbup:

I'm looking to mount my hi-lift like that or similar. At the moment it's inside but there are times when that's a PITA.

Having had tail pipes coming out all of the place on past versions I think that the one option I don't like is the one straight out the back. Couple of reasons. I have stuffed the tail pipe into more things than I ever have caught it when coming out of the side. Unless you climb up over logs or something, it's quite hard to squash it there. Also when warming the engine in a morning whilst standing at the back of the truck, packing for eg, you end up with soot and fumes round your legs. If you tow something, it tends to spatter all over that too. Not much to choose between either, but I prefer the side version behind the wheel.

Also remember that this is NOT an off roader. It's supposed to be for touring in. Unless I find somewhere pretty extreme then the side version really should be fine. I always wanted one that came out of the side of the bumper through a hole like lots of Landies do. I like that.

Not sure what this soot is you speak of :lol:
Anyway I started a thread about the exhaust so don't take yours off track

Mate you need to go to Specsavers. I can assure you that I have not changed them. It's a trick of the light. I might just have mentioned it if I painted them had seeing as this is the build thread.:icon-rolleyes: This is actually one of the features that I don't like about this colour (You may remember I really wanted a gold one) in that the pearlescent effect of the paint means it's a different colour from every angle and in every light. I think that it's simply the difference between the paint being applied to metal body panels and to plastic arches. That's all.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ah... I see. Now had you managed to get one in MY colour, then you could have had contrasting black flares like mine !!!

IMG_0366.jpg

Last edited:
And black mirrors too Lazz. Very swanky. Yep, that's what I am thinking. Not sure about black with the grey, maybe more a charcoal grey. Anyway. A very very long way down the list is that.

i like the black mirrors. i have a off colour one that bugs me and thinking about putting 2 black ones on it. they are so cheap for Pattern ones.
stu

Mate you need to go to Specsavers. I can assure you that I have not changed the colour. It's a trick of the light. I might just have mentioned it if I painted it on my build thread.:icon-rolleyes: This is actually one of the features that I like about this colour (You may remember I really wanted a BLUE one) the African sun on the paint means it's a different colour from every angle and in every light. I think that it's simply the difference between the light in the UK and Africa. That's all.
:icon-biggrin:

I know Lazz, I know, just a wind up. :icon-wink:

:laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling: That's like a double touché or something.

You guys are hilarious.

No p*** off and get your own thread. :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin:

Uhh oh, courier just been. It's a box. What's in the box?

P1010374.JPG

Nicely packaged

P1010377.JPG

Hmm, just had a thought

P1010378.JPG

Maybe this should be a new thread?

Oh look..
P1010379.JPG

A shiny new 12 volt starter. Yep. Going 12v so that the DS battery can be the leisure / aux power source. I have said I want this to be a stripped back camper truck and having a thumping great third battery in the boot just isn't necessary. Not going to be running much from it and as I shall only be parked for a day in the main (without the engine running) my beer isn't going to go cold. I can always add another battery if I felt the need, but having thought it through this makes sense. It starts on a touch and is a manual too so bumping it is possible and of course having the battery where it is, I can use jump leads easily over to the other battery in a crisis. Yes the unit isn't cheap, but if you deduct the cost of another good battery, it's not so bad. I also then inherit a 24v spare for the other truck. Split charge is lined up but maybe that needs to be another thread too ....

I'm just walking in Jon's footsteps I can assure you Grant. I may have done one or two original things in my time but this ain't one of them. Look on page 12 of JW's My Grey 80 posting.

Oh my goodness Chris,it's so shiny!
You realise the rest of the engine bay will have to be cleaned up to match that standard! Lovely!

Back