Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pyreness June - July

Leave some breadcrumbs in a trail for me I won't be far behind
Look sensational

How severe is this track? Is it something that could be done solo? Cheers

In 2011 it was fine for solo travel
Can't speak for condition of trail 6 years later :)
Only a few drainage berms to mount,

We did advise a guy in normal rental car in Andorra not to drive down it

What would be the approximate drive time for that route. Allowing for coffee, pictures and general mooching. Given that on this trip we wont be trying to break any records.

HI

Chris, if you asking about my route. west to east, should take about 12 to 15 days. I'm alowing 18.

G.

We did it in 2013 with TonyS, Blown80 and others and in a 4x4 it shouldn't be a problem solo but, as Andy says, things can change over time. From memory it took us about half a day with plenty of stops.
Alins is at 1100 metres and the top of smugglers is 2300 metres and it is around 35+ kms.
Enjoy

Regards,
Rodger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry Gary, ha ha no I didn't mean the entire Pyrenees. No.

Thanks Rodger, I figured as much.

We spent an afternoon driving it, with about 20km of trial before it,
From alins used to be trail too, but now it's a depressing concrete road upto Tor, but after that it is proper tracks and the smugglers pass trial is still great

We spent 2 days at this campsite in Andorra
A nice spot
http://xixerellapark.com/

Hi

Started the Pyreness part of my trip today. as amazing as it was I am wondering if I have bitten off more than I can chew. A lot of the track is ok but there was one moment when the truck bottomed out in about 15 meters in length of of mud. I realised I could get into some serous trouble here.

I'm now in a dilemma whether I should stick to the route or change it. Today was the 1st time ever doing this kind of route and off roading, just not sure if I should be doing it on my own. I'm fine with all the dry parts. I'm just concerned if I come across another patch of mud like that again, I might not be so lucky.

I have to say the Truck was amazing today, she certainly showed her true grit. I feel very lucky to have her.

I need to make a decision in the morning, I would very much appreciate your thoughts on the above.

Gary

Can you be sure that a route change will be as good as it is supposed to be? I would recommend that you do what many of us do which is if you don't like the look of the next obstacle stop, get out and walk it then, and only then, can you make a full assessment of it and if it is, in your considered opinion too much, find another route even if it means reversing until you find a turning point. It is far easier to change your mind/route when sat on firm ground rather than being exhausted by hours of stress from getting unstuck.
Know and recognise your own limitation of skills. There is no failure in recognising that an obstacle is beyond your skill set but there is failure in acting irresponsibly.
Enjoy the journey.
Off roading will teach you a lot about yourself - play to your strengths and do not ignore your weaknesses (we all have them).
Regards,
Rodger

Rodger,

Thank so much for your very considered reply, it's very much appreciated.

There were to many things happened at once, when I went into the woods, it became dark very quickly and very misty. The lighting I have is not enough for this type of driving. Also at the same time the route disappeared from my screen, so I wasn't 100% sure I was on the right track. So my thoughts weren't fully on what was in front of me. I realise now I should have stopped and taken a breath.

Your totally right, I have learned lots in just one day.

I'm going to have another go today, sticking to the route planned.

Many thanks.

G.

Yes, if insure walk the hard bits.
I have been in same position for last 4 days in the haute loire on some tricky trails at times where a recovery truck would never get to.
We have walked a few sections of trail and spent over 30 mins covering 300m today, dealing with driving round fallen trees blocking trail and enormous tippy ruts, using logs and maxtrax to prevent vehicle from sfcrapimg its side

So today was a much better experience, Really glad I stuck to the original route.

I'm here right now, Camping Borda Bisaltico, I'm about a third away along the planned route.

Some pics.

IMG_1530.JPG
IMG_1531.JPG
IMG_1532.JPG
IMG_1557.JPG
IMG_1559.JPG
IMG_1568.JPG
IMG_1571.JPG
IMG_1573.JPG
IMG_1604.JPG
IMG_1629.JPG
IMG_1633.JPG
IMG_1641.JPG
IMG_1647.JPG

IMG_1554.JPG

Very glad I brought the bug net tent. It was so hot in France.

Thanks for the support.

G.

Excellent - great trails and views and nice camp setup.
Yes it was roasting in france

Great pics! Sounds like a few of us will be crossing paths this year, we land in Santander July 30th, coming back on the 14th Aug, here's our planned route... Along the Pyrenees to Andorra/smugglers, then back West, couple of days around Bardenas Reales, and further West to vist the film sets for TGTBTU and into the Oak forests before a well deserved chill by the pool for a couple of days before the return ferry.

Screenshot_29.png

Screenshot_31.png

Last edited:
We land Santander 5th Aug back in UK on the 19th. Might see you somewhere! Very similar path in the hills.

Back