Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pyreness June - July

Lol thanks.

I know it sounds bonkers, but what do you do. Can they get shirty, can you just shoooo them off. Or should I get in the car and wait it out. The same with horses. Had a small group just stroll by, are they likely to be trouble. I have zero experience of this.

G.

Lol thanks.

I know it sounds bonkers, but what do you do. Can they get shirty, can you just shoooo them off. Or should I get in the car and wait it out. The same with horses. Had a small group just stroll by, are they likely to be trouble. I have zero experience of this.

G.

Cows are nosey, they mean no harm, but they're heavy and don't watch where they put their feet.
Keep stuff tidy and out of the way, otherwise they might trample it, same with horses really.

If you're in the woods/forest, and have some rope, or even just a ball of string, wrap it in a circle around a group of trees like a garden fence (with you in the middle).
They respond quite well to a flimsy fence, even though they could walk right through it, they generally don't.

You could even use spare awning poles and string, if there's no trees, it might work.

Great trip BTW, brave lad but keep at it and press on.

Almost all my offroad is done alone. In the early days, I really got scared on occasions, not so much because I was in danger, just knowing that it's only me and my decisions/actions that will get me home in one piece.

Always take your time, the walk-it-first approach is the best advice going. It gives you chance to think, and look around you as well as down at the track, for low branches, rock protrusions and the like.

Look for the cross fall angles of the road, especially if it's muddy, to predict where the truck might slide to, especially if you're on a steep part with a drop-off.

Most of all, enjoy!

You're in a beautiful part of the world, and the photos show it. I guess you have a tight schedule, but try to relax, enjoy and treat the difficult areas as a technical challenge, with a step by step approach.

Wish you good luck and happy travels. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Cows are prey animal rather than a predator so being in mind what Clive said about the string round the trees, which is a good deterrent, you could always just clap your hands, wave stick and shout at them and they'll go on their way. They are just inquisitive.
Same goes for horses, although they may be more used to humans but you said a group so they are probably wild so will normally react the same as cows.
Wild boar are different, they roam as families, so don't leave your food packaging, rubbish and waste food outside at night but they tend to search for their food types but anything that smells like food will attract them. They are very protective of their young and are extremely strong. It is obvious where they have been or what is their family route as the ground is very churned up - so don't camp there or near. Basically they are shy except if you are in their path so survey the ground around the proposed camp area for a good way before you set up.

Basically all the animals are more scared of you - noise and light will normally make them go away.

Be aware of your surroundings and enjoy your trip.

Regards,

Rodger

Thanks so much guys, appreciate your input. This trip has been so, so. U have more than I expected, I feel extremely lucky person.

Here's a question, with all these cows here, why is it so difficult to get fresh milk.

Thanks again.

G.

You have to get closer to the cow!!!

Seriously, ask at any farm that you pass. Have a container with you and offer to buy.

Do you have fresh milk? Tienes leche fresco?
Can I possibly buy some? Es possible compra?
A litre? Uno Litro?
How much? Cuanto es?
I have a bottle. Tengo un botella

Pronounce all the letters in Spanish and have small change with you as they won't have change for a note.

Regards,

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Maybe advisable not to ask " qué mierda ", they may take it the wrong way...:shifty:

That's a lot to fit into 2 weeks Pumpy

That campsite by Bardenas gets Terrible reviews. By a pig farm and railway

We stayed here instead last year, a great site, but maybe off your route too much
It was only. Few km off ours

https://www.eurocampings.co.uk/spain/aragon/zaragoza/borja/eco-camping-borja-121891/

Thanks for the campsite Andy, considering there's no camping allowed in the National park there ain't many campsites to choose from around there!

Regarding the route, I wasn't going to put so much in originally but some of the group really want to get to Andorra, I have plenty of "loops" we can cut out if it becomes too much of a slog, iirc the longest day is only 130 mile and 30% of that is on tarmac; I've noted all the campsites along the route so cutting a day short shouldn't be a problem. I'd rather have too much gpx planned beforehand than too little :lol:

Fair enough

I try to limit our days to 100km these days, mixed tar and trail
And 8.30-9am starts and finish by 3pm to give time for a walk at end of day to stretch legs
And an hour off for combined coffee, lunch and tea breaks
So maybe only 4-5 hours in vehicle

On the trip we just did sometimes it was taking an hour to cover 15km on tricky trails :(

COWS!!!!

I need advice.

How to find a camping spot where I'm not suddenly held hostage by a heard of cows? Which happened to me a few mornings ago.

Any tricks or advice?

G.
Cows are very nosey :) They love to know whats going on in their patch. The only time really to be worried is if they have young - lings and you have a dog (s) they can get a bit protective. I have never had a problem (as a kid I used to work on a farm and had to fetch 'em in for milking. A big stick was needed for a little lad :) )

Hi All,

So the Pyrenees part of the trip went well and had lots of amazing adventures.

I'm now on my way home but in no rush to get back.

I have ended up here.

https://www.google.fr/maps/place/Ca...28455831bd!8m2!3d44.3146061!4d3.2427478?hl=en

Camping Cassaduc, Saint-Georges-de-Lévéjac.
Fantasic campsite, if anyone is passing.

Looks like there are some amazing views to be had here. So I'm thinking of driving around here for a day or so.

I would be grateful for any recommendations for a route i should take or places, views not to be missed while I'm here.

Many thanks.

Gary

Saint Enimie further up the gorge a bit is worth a look
Nice small village and bridges in bottom of gorge

I have driven trails in your area on north side of gorge
Easy stuff and pretty quiet, hardly see anyone, over limestone planes

Drop me you email and I can send a gpx later

Last edited:
That's really useful. 2 weeks and we'll literally be driving in your tyre tracks. Any tips? Stand out moments? Avoid at all costs? etc

Nice one
Good to see you did the trails around espot, sort, rialp,and smugglers trail to Andorra, which I have been recommending to you all ;)

They're on my track list for sure.

HI

I've done a video of day 1 of the Pyrenees part of the trip.

Here is the link,
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AgQA8EJvpzpztNskxbO_aL7UBzu7OQ

I would really like to know if its worth me carrying on doing the rest of the route. Please be totally honest, I wont mind, There probably enough video out there, But it maybe useful for others who want to take the same route. It will give them an idea of the condition and what to expect. Having watched it I know I can make shorter, this is the 1st very quick edit. Future vids would have more pics and and drone stuff. As you can see from the vids most of the trip I could only see 2m in front of me.

Be warned there is some swearing, that day was the 1st time in my life I had done any type of off road driving like that before, you have been warned.

I'll also upload it to youtube.

Please do let me know your honest thoughts.

Regards
Gary

Skipped through some of it, 55mins a bit long for me to watch it all

Heard some nice sighs on a tricky bit but no swearing :)

Back