Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear anti-roll bar

Chris Green90

Garage
Country Flag
england
How do guys.
Just wondered if anyone had done away with it all together. brackets for mine are looking worse for wear and am wondering if the off road advantages mean its not worth fixing them.
I'm guessing articulation will be improved but I am not sure how badly the on road handling will be affected. So am looking for anyone who has driven with it off.

Im not too sure with the rear ones off, but both my front ones snapped at one point and I was driving around with it like that for a while. Being that I live in Milton Keynes it was quite noticeable with the amount of leaning that was occurring.

I would recommend you keep them as these are there to prevent body roll and decrease the change of it rolling over if you were to sway/move suddenly.

Is there much of a difference in articulation with them off though....

firstly yes there is a fair amount of differnce off road with regards to articulation

unfortunately

the same is to be same for the on road handling

I currently have the rear one off mine as I snapped a link but its going back on thats for sure

The best you can do, is take it out and test yourself with caution!

More flex you achieve in the rear with a swaybar removed.

Also, the flex is given by the shock. The longer the shock, the greater the flex in the rear. :twisted:

Longer shocks needs longer coils!

But, if the flex is very pronounced, the brake line and emergency brake line could suffer and brake. For that we must lengthen the brake line and put a bracket for the emergency brake line.

Greater flex maybe long bumpstops will also be recommended depending on the size of the tire.

Another thing is the drive shaft maybe hit the gas tank in a greater flex.

Longer shocks needs longer coils!

Cheers

I have mine in there.

What I did, was put a longer links to compensate the high achieved for the suspension!

Cheers

So did I. Nissan Terrano ones. It did make a difference. Articulation was better but ride was the same. It brought the bars back to a more neutral position following the lift. In a straight line they aren't doing anything, but when twisting clearly they are. I found that the wheel would lift on the ARB because effectively it became the limit.

IMGP3129.jpg

Chris

pic courtesy of LB's new owner

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi

Experiences vary, but my LJ78 failed its MOT because I hadnt refitted the arb after the suspension lift. I think if you do remove it, remove the hangers as well, so the mot tester doesnt spot they are missing.

For Landies you can get quick release arb's, shame there isnt a LC version. Then again, I dont need to buy anti-rust products by the tanker load.....

Pete

I removed my rear one some time back :thumbup: I also removed the front one, but soon replaced it after some road testing :!: :!: I now only remove the front one when at Play & Sites or away for the weekend such as Lincomb. I replaced all the bushes and drop links for new ones then used a nut runner lubed with T-cut to ease the threads for quicker removal upon arrival. Here's a link on the subject in the past viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9556

Back