Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

rear heater pipes

Red Oktober

Garage
Country Flag
uk
where are they under the bonnet ...

i think i seen one on the drivers side on the bulkhead ... but where is the other one ??

i need to bypass them asap ...

I blocked mine off while I had the head off.

You can clearly see them in this photo going down the bulkhaed at the back either side of the plastic covering the block.
i-zhC2XZ6-L.jpg

15mm copper 'Yorkshire' stop ends fit the hose perfectly for blanking off the pipework :thumbup:
1102162504_wYCAn-L.jpg

Why do you all blank them off and not replace them with something with better longevity?? What am I missing in the issue? Is it just that no-one uses the rear cooling? I find it useful for the hound, and helps keep the load bay cool when fully laden when it's hot outside (clearly not Scotland then!)

Cheers

Gary Stockton said:
Why do you all blank them off and not replace them with something with better longevity??
They can be prone to corrosion, and I wouldn't fancy trying to fix a hole in one of the under car pipes while in the 'field'.... come to think of it, I wouldn't like to try replacing them even while on a ramp.

Gary Stockton said:
.... and helps keep the load bay cool when fully laden when it's hot outside.
Eh, how does it do that?

remember i have a 120 ;)

There are a total of 4 roof vents that are just like the ones on the dash that run off the rear climate control - so stick that on cold and direct them into the back load area - works a treat.

Aha, so you're talking about air not water ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mmm - yes I guess so, although TBH haven't checked but suspect there is a 2nd a/c unit in the back - defo a sep fan etc. But we're now OT, so i'll go back to watching this one :lol:

I haven't bypassed the rear heater on this one yet but all it does is blow air out from the bottom rear part of the centre console so it's of limited value really, might get toes warm in the back slightly quicker but not a lot I don't think so maybe not worth the trouble and expense of keeping it.

they're not easy to get at though are they ... :evil: ..

i've had to do mine cos one of the metal pipes decided it wanted to be a seive today ...

On my old green 80 I bodged a bypass pipe out of domestic 15mm copper pipe fittings for the one pipe and the other was long enough to just remove the T piece and connect direct. Pauls solution looks a lot simpler.
DSCF0003.JPG

I was thinking about blocking off mine, as the unit under the drivers seat is pretty useless, but then had another idea.... I'm going to fit a 60L water carrier in the back, so why not extend the pipes (i.e. fit new ones) to a copper coil in the water tank? That way I will have plenty of hot water for a shower at the end of the day on my overland trips. :think:

I think you'd have to have the main controls on hot for that to work as it's currently set up.

I just connected one to the other with a piece of heater hose. That way the water can still circulate as designed. The pipes do corrode and having removed a full set from a vehicle I have no idea how you'd get a new set in without taking the engine out!!
Removing the heater matrix provides a very useful undersea storage space very good for an inverter, amplifier or safe for eg.

Chris said:
I just connected one to the other with a piece of heater hose. That way the water can still circulate as designed.
The water circulates through the main heater matrix so there's no need to link the 'blanked off' ends :thumbup:

Chris said:
Removing the heater matrix provides a very useful undersea storage space
I'll let SpongeBob know ;)

Andrew Brierley said:
OK, back to the drawing board..... :doh:
Fairly easy, just 'T' into the heater matrix feed BEFORE the heater control valve seen in Jon's photo and run it to the rear heater inlet.... that way it will not be dependant on where the main heater control is set to :thumbup:

Hear what you say Paul but still my pref is to link them as if the rear Hester were still there. Two second job and no detriment - either way I guess.

Sponge Bob

Ps its where I keep my spare pants

Damn this tiny keyboard hester = heater

Crhis

Back