Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replace air filter every ? miles HDJ80

whereisgibson

Servicing time again. Firstly, how often does Mr T suggest replacing the air filter? Secondly, what do people here do that differs from that schedule?

Not sure what the recommended schedule is. I replace mine every time I do all the filters and oil at around 4000 miles. I think a snorkel contributes to a dirtier filter.

Phew I doubt the service schedule calls for an air filter replacement every 4k miles. At a guess I'd think 20k for light/clean duty and more frequently under dusty conditions.

IIRC the OEM filter is washable - might be worth giving it a hose off and letting it dry and only changing for new every other service? I change mine every other service but have never tried washing the filter.

Lorin, the snorkel should result in a cleaner filter as the raised position means less dust.
[youtube:265qa7b9]GtHGHQ7jQig[/youtube:265qa7b9]

Rinse filter every 20k.
Replace when the rust eats it, or it falls apart.
Empty dust-can at every oil-change, or more often when racing through desert.
This is the cyclone filter, where most of the dust never even gets to the filter element.

Can't see the point in recommending a change interval for the air filter. It's easy enough to get at and inspect so just check it periodically and replace as necessary. Never washed an air filter yet. Good paper filters aren't expensive so not really interested in a re-usable/washable type. JMO

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mine's been in for the last 30k, take it out now & again & blow it out with the air line, it's still really clean.

uHu said:
Rinse filter every 20k.
Replace when the rust eats it, or it falls apart.
Empty dust-can at every oil-change, or more often when racing through desert.
This is the cyclone filter, where most of the dust never even gets to the filter element.

only rinse if it's the washable filter, the standard one isn't washable :shock:

you can get a OEM washable filter by the way, part number is 17801-61030 fits both petrol & diesel 80's.

Changing the filter every oil service seems excessive, especially when Mr T. says to change it every 27k miles along with the fuel filter.

Whilst we are on the subject, does anyone have the part number for the OEM washable filter? My local dealership said that it does not exist :?

As above Rob,

I was trying to find it when you posted.

Filtration is allegedly better also.

Lorin said:
Not sure what the recommended schedule is. I replace mine every time I do all the filters and oil at around 4000 miles. I think a snorkel contributes to a dirtier filter.
Hi Lorin, why would you suggest a snorkel introduces more dirt and dust into the intake system?
My feeling is that most of the road dirt and dust, is probably below the 1 meter level, with the gradual erosion of the road surface and tyres.

My thoughts on having a snorkel, is that at around 2 meters high, the air is cleaner, as the dirt and dust will be lower than the snorkel intake.

Without a snorkel, I could be wrong, but think for general city driving, then 4000 mile air filter changes is just throwing money away.
After 6000 miles I would consider just flipping the catches and looking at the air filter, if it looked OK, then close it all back up again, if a little dusty, then take it out and just tap it upside down and replace.
Do that twice, ie, 6,000 miles and again at 12,000 miles
Then after 18,000 miles remove to replace.

Gra.

Depends on driving conditions, more dust more frequent changes…………

Holy moly, oil every 4K? I'm doing at 10k or so; it doesn't use any and is on the fully synth from the 'oil change how to' article.

Anyhow I have a paper element, so I'll bin it now - on 20k - and see what price I can get the cleanable one for; otherwise it seems reasonable to buy another paper filter and expect 20k from it without concern.

It would appear there is a possibility I have been overdoing it a bit :lol: Current filter stays in a while longer me thinks.

Reason I think a snorkel may contribute to a dirtier filter is that it seems to be a remarkably efficient hoover of insects, leaves and just about any airborn rubbish in general. However, I will now just scoop the rubbish out, bang out the filter and carry on a while longer...

'Evening Chaps

The standard air intake for the 80 draws from the gap between the outer front wing and the inner engine compartment bulkhead. Air here is fairly static and dust free. A snorkel alters this arrangement in two ways;

1. More dust and airborn debris are taken in.
2. There is a ram effect so air pressure into the engine increases as the car starts moving. With this later point I wonder what effect this has on fuel mixture?

Frank

frank rabbets said:
'Evening Chaps

The standard air intake for the 80 draws from the gap between the outer front wing and the inner engine compartment bulkhead. Air here is fairly static and dust free. A snorkel alters this arrangement in two ways;

1. More dust and airborn debris are taken in.
2. There is a ram effect so air pressure into the engine increases as the car starts moving. With this later point I wonder what effect this has on fuel mixture?

Frank

Agree 100% that taking air from inner wing compartment acts almost like a pre-filter preventing much of the road dust and larger debris from reaching the filter element. A good design by Mr. T.

The effect on fuelling with a snorkel will be virtually zero IMO. The RAM effect will be negligable due to the shape and length of the pipework and when you factor in the turbo which compresses the air anyway the fuelling will be unaffected. The RAM air effect as used on many performance cars and motorcycles starts to work at speeds an LC can only dream of and that's with a carefully designed inlet tract and airbox shape.

I have 155,000 miles on my Colorado and have changed the filters 3 times. Once recently.

I normally just take it out and give it a good blow with the air gun.

As an update, I replaced my paper element for a new one. Old one had done ~25k. I've got to say I've noticed a slight improvement in grunt, just before coming on boost. So for me, I'll be doing this every 20k.

Back