Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Restoration body shop repair

Yeah Clive I decided to give it a modern look with one colour overall. Being two tone just didn't appeal to me from stock. I'm keen to keep it de-badged too [emoji12]
Will see how it turns out after paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a bit worried that the flexi nature of the trim may lead to cracks in the paint between the steel and the trim, over time... :think:

When I removed mine, the body shop guy welded plates over the trim clip holes (on the inside) and filled. Looks great IMO.

Clive are you referring to the fenders over the body because I have the seal gaskets on order to close the gap? [emoji848]
f3b6aee287cfe238df41a076d7690a43.jpg

nooooo, the side trims on the doors & front and rear panels, waistline...

sidetrim2.jpg

Bit of a wobbly line, too much coffee...

Last edited:
I see your point there Clive[emoji848]
I don't think it should be a problem as many cars have them as a door protector. I guess time will tell but as far as I can tell they are solidly fitted on the doors [emoji849]

Too much coffee does that then I wonder how a few shots on whiskey would do [emoji39]

Maybe you can understand why I removed mine....

before .... Just look at that crusty old filler job :lol:

image.jpeg

after...

image.jpeg

Looks fine to me without the plastic...

Last edited:
I can see thanks for sharing. Mine look straight inline with the body. How did yours get like that? [emoji848]

dfa91025a70a21d79c3c7465cd4a58f5.jpg

Yours look a little different from what I can see. Maybe your is a other model with different side panels like the USA?
e12275837a52baebfc05e9e06b166837.jpg

It's a nice look with & without them. I choose to leave them for a more street look than off-road. Nice deep dish wheels [emoji2]

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's a bit of a story really, from the factory, the truck had never had the over-arches. When I went for 10" wide -32 offset wheels, they were protruding the bodywork by about 40mm.

I ran it for quite a while like that, but whenever I went offroad in the wet, after a couple of hundred meters, I couldn't see out of the side windows.

That's when I bit the bullet and bought genuine over-arches from Mr T.

Then, when fitting the arches, I realized that the models with arches have shorter trim pieces, stopping short of where the front and rear of the arches meets the bodywork.

I tried cutting them off at the arch, but they were so badly out of shape and the cut edge looked crap, that I removed them altogether, after wasting half a dozen rolls of HD double-sided tape. :lol: :icon-rolleyes:

For sure, my trim was nothing like the US photo, it fitted neatly in the pressed recess you see in my photo. But I do note that your trim piece looks considerably wider than mine was.

Last edited:
I understand now thanks. Wow no arches/ fenders? [emoji50]
Never know them like that from stock. I know serious off readers take them off.
Well yours looks great without them with the great blue colour youhave too [emoji6]

image.png
This is how the truck looked when I bought it, 10 years ago...

Ok I see clive ..... No fenders, wheels different..... Looks like. 95 model & up with the different bumper.
Good to have the old pictures to compare having the car for 10 years is a long relationship. I've only had mine for 5 [emoji849]

Ok I see clive ..... No fenders, wheels different..... Looks like. 95 model & up with the different bumper.
Good to have the old pictures to compare having the car for 10 years is a long relationship. I've only had mine for 5 [emoji849]

The truck is a European spec, meaning as basic as it gets compared with UK specs.

But I was lucky that the bare essentials of an 80 are there, it's only an HZJ (no turbo) but it has all three lockers, electric windows, factory electric sunroof and an ashtray!

It's been a great base vehicle for me to create the truck that I want, fit for the use that I put it to.

Getting ready for paint tomorrow. Finally got the sample & given the go ahead [emoji1317]
fab8dc9255278870136940ac2ee9b976.jpg
7d3a13a95b8125cdbb44b2777ef573f3.jpg
d2d44b6dd1de155b99802fe83f930db9.jpg

Fingers cross for tomorrow. This is a new colour & surely going to stand out from the old black / two tone before. [emoji849]

Windows sent off to have tinted.
Roll on tomorrow [emoji39]

First day of paint went better than expected. Colour turned out amazing just what the doctored ordered....lol [emoji847]

Roll on for day two [emoji12]
b6f6190daecfaa5719989cbaaf4456c7.jpg

Not sure how you can paint with the rear bumper in place...:think:.... but

you seem to be getting a very nice finish on that. Good job! :thumbup:

I hear ya Clive the bumper was loosened & the guy didn't want to strip it more including the fenders as it wasn't needed.

Seeing in the sunlight tomorrow will surely look better.
Happy with the guys who put their heart into the car. [emoji1317]

Morning new refreshed look under the sun. Awaiting to paint black window surrounds, side step & under seal. [emoji3]
912f3bb6a28d6a159e4b9cf504645d01.jpg
15b450f52264443eec5ac613f3fac20c.jpg
e4c6c4a901c36de2d19c36ae8e1f2e35.jpg
ccb40a755c563b2f9bffc8990bbe6f9f.jpg

Eyes getting use to the new look now vast contrast already to the old look. [emoji50]

I do like that colour IS, and the mirror finish is top notch. Looks like you've got a good job there. [emoji4] Nice.

Thanks Ben / StarCruiser. It's a work in process but happily excited with every step made towards the finishing line [emoji12]

Today painted the mirrors, rear tyre pull out holder & enclosure, exterior trim & side steps.
69b3e5d6d23f00529b02dff1d9116220.jpg
88b928e82d0ce7934bc965775dcf1550.jpg
863d9f5ffb0b1e82423b9e2239388152.jpg

Back