Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Restoration body shop repair

Sunday Workout stripping the manifold heat shield thats been 23 years of wear & tear. Stripped rust corrosion & debris with wire mesh in preparation for heat resistant paint.

IMG_3116.jpg IMG_3117.jpg

Last edited:
Manifold heat shield painted.....left to dry for 30-60 mins before placing in the oven for 60 minutes at 200C to bake.

Decided to paint other bits as new with the old looked off. Happy with the results. Wish I did this before when the engine was being rebuilt.......would of been much easier. :dizzy:

IMG_3122.jpg IMG_3123.jpg

Reactions: Sag
Very nice Dervis. I replaced all my speakers time ago but I didn't do what should be done and soundproof the doors or the truck. Bet it's nice and cosy in there now, do you have a warning light to remind you that the engine's running? :lol:

Awesome looking truck you are building. I like the colour. You must be well pleased with the outcome.:sunglasses:

Regards, Mark

I have seen them done really well in a local paint shop. The chap there just used sikoflex and a wet finger.

Very nice Dervis. I replaced all my speakers time ago but I didn't do what should be done and soundproof the doors or the truck. Bet it's nice and cosy in there now, do you have a warning light to remind you that the engine's running? :lol:

Years of watching youtube learnt a lot & focused on making the build count Clive. Sound proofing is well worth it weight in gold. Driving without door cards & interior in have seen a huge difference so far. The vehicle feels more solid & quieter then before. The hood / bonnet is much improved too Clive.

Cost wise wasn't too bad around £150 to buy. :grinning:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Awesome looking truck you are building. I like the colour. You must be well pleased with the outcome.:sunglasses:

Regards, Mark

After years of waiting patiently Mark & seeing many builds here & elsewhere have leant a lot. Having the underside & engine / gearbox box all renewed it was time to restore the exterior respectively. Really pleased with the car & looking forward to finishing it in the next few weeks. :)

Thanks

All five wheels off today hopefully tomorrow looking at prep work before repainting in new colours. :mask:

IMG_3126.jpg IMG_3125.jpg

Wheels off decided to clean the wheels a little before handing them into the bodyshop....cant do any harm whilst tyres off.

IMG_3129.jpg IMG_3130.jpg IMG_3131.jpg

Whilst the wheels are away at the bodyshop thought I clean & paint the callipers. Whilst taking them apart noticed some of the rubber dust sleeves were torn & needed replacing with retainers. Oh boy :weary: job just got bigger.
Upon much deliberation......mornings coffee :think: decided to buy the rebuild kit with pistons front & back from the UK.

There are many years for wear & tear with pads always wearing out more on one end than even. Decided to fully restore them. Will take pistons out soon its becoming quite involving but thankfully youtube lends a hand :tonguewink:

IMG_3162.jpg IMG_3163.jpg

Brakes were put on hold!!......... finally getting them painted & rebuilt from a kit from the UK arrived.

Ordered the whole inclusive piston kit for front & back didn't want to take the chance but it turned out the pistons where in great shape. Still changed them as its not a job you do often. ;)

As I went to the trouble to clean & took the unitive to paint them red........be nice to see how they look on the car even though I know won't really see them from behind the wheels.

Had a one front calliper piston I couldn't budge when compressor air so took it to my mechanic to help up. Thankfully got it back today to clean, dissemble & paint hence why three brakes shown. Always the last bolt, screw seems to give me a run for my patience....lol

IMG_3206.jpg IMG_3214.jpg

Coming to an end in style Dervis.

Like the wheels, did they grit blast them first? It gives a good key if they did, less likely to chip with some impact from rocks and stuff. :thumbup:

Hi Clive .... thought about sand blasting them but decided not to go to that much trouble wanting them done quickly. Unfortunately had to wait & change to another bodyshop so could have had them in bare form in the end.

Happy with the new look & think their gonna hold up well as I don't do any rock crawling.....lol

I'll leave that to you & the professionals :thumbup:

Whilst potting around waiting for paint to dry on the brakes callipers been wanting to use the original wheel nuts for the 80 & not the existing chrome ones. Only thing was they looked dull black so decided to freshen them up with some paint & attention.

Will see how they look & hold up soon :think:

IMG_3208.jpg IMG_3213.jpg

Those wheels look great Dervis. A little bit like mine but I suspect you've gone with the body colour rather than gunmetal grey like mine. Looks great with those centre caps too.

I think you did the right thing with those brake pistons. I didn't change mine and wish I had as they had very slight digs in them from fully retracting them and getting them stuck. I don't suppose you've kept the old good ones as I don't think they come as anything but the kit? I may need to look into getting some and do the job again :icon-cry:

Those wheels look great Dervis. A little bit like mine but I suspect you've gone with the body colour rather than gunmetal grey like mine. Looks great with those centre caps too.

I think you did the right thing with those brake pistons. I didn't change mine and wish I had as they had very slight digs in them from fully retracting them and getting them stuck. I don't suppose you've kept the old good ones as I don't think they come as anything but the kit? I may need to look into getting some and do the job again :icon-cry:

Thanks star cruiser much appreciated. :)

I have a belief to do it once..... do it right. Its not everyday I'm gonna go through stripping the car. Wanted to make the most of it although its kept the car off the road for another 3 weeks. :weary:

The existing pistons were in great condition virtually new really so was surprised. I only decided to use the new ones I bought for the sake that I bought them & wasn't sure if I could return. Either way I thought having the other pistons as spares but if your interested maybe I can send you the pictures & sell them on if it helps you out?

Wouldn't mine seeing your 80 if you have any pictures on hand?...... thanks

Mines not looking so hot at the moment with peeling lacquer. But I'll see if I can find you some photos of the wheels at least. Maybe take a few of the truck's 'best side' :lol:

I'm guessing postage from Cyprus would be a killer on 8 metal cups.

image.jpeg
Here you go, one I took a while ago, in between rainy weeks. image.jpeg
And the newly refurbed wheels. image.jpeg

Back