Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

RJ70 Build Thread.

Now your talking Ben :clap:, that's going to be one sweet truck when it's finished. I love the 78. That one kitted out and lj with rj's body well give you the best of all worlds. Is it auto or manual? Will you put the lockers from lj into it aswell?

You're right about the bodge-up of a paint job, but if she's good underneath, the make-over can come later, along with the kids :lol:

It's been a few hours is it done yet? :lol:

That's going to make a nice motor when it's all kitted out.

So does that mean your going to start another build thread and call it "kind of lj70 crossed with lj78 build" and god knows what your going to call the other thread:lol::lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You're right about the paint but hey, not too shabby at all there Ben.

I vote you name it Heinz.

:icon-biggrin:

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

I will start another build thread for the 78. ;)

I will keep this build thread going to document RJ getting a new body and 2.4 engine again and putting it all together ready to sell. :icon-biggrin:

Think I will copy all the technical posts and pics over to LJ's thread and continue LJ's thread with the 1UZ V8 conversion and body swap. :think:

Now your talking Ben :clap:, that's going to be one sweet truck when it's finished. I love the 78. That one kitted out and lj with rj's body well give you the best of all worlds. Is it auto or manual? Will you put the lockers from lj into it aswell?

Thanks mate. :thumbup:

Rare manual model (all the LWB seem to be auto) and factory rear locker. :icon-cool:

At this point I'm thinking of leaving the air lockers in LJ and buying an Eaton E locker for the front of the 78 and swapping my single rear locker switch in the 78, for a double, front and rear locker switch and controlling the E locker from there. :icon-twisted:

I've just found there's one near me…slightly tempted to trade the Smart in…
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192096902083

Nice! :drool:

Do it!!! :icon-twisted:

Nice its got a rear locker, thats rare! :icon-cool:

I'm going to choose to forget the fact that you drive a smart car! :shifty:

I'm going to choose to forget the fact that you drive a smart car! :shifty:
It has driven me (nuts) more than I have driven it Ben. It was a project to do up and sell and make a few quid. Well, any hope of that went out the window long ago! :angry-screaming:

Reactions: Ben
Can you remember what the price was when you saw the white cruiser on eBay Ben?

:lol:

I've bought this LJ78 with a terrible paint job in need of a lot of love, but structurally very good!

LJ was just too small for big trips and when my kids get here, we wouldnt be able to use it for camping full stop!

So I think this will be the perfect solution. :think:View attachment 113354

View attachment 113355
As a new father, I can confirm the LWB is the better option for family stuff. I'd have bought a 78 if the turn into our alleyway wasn't so tight. I'm looking at troopys in AU, dreaming, but maybe someday.

As a new father, I can confirm the LWB is the better option for family stuff. I'd have bought a 78 if the turn into our alleyway wasn't so tight. I'm looking at troopys in AU, dreaming, but maybe someday.
And strangely, there seem to be quite a few 78s here in the UK. Not a ton, but a few.

Can you remember what the price was when you saw the white cruiser on eBay Ben?

The one you linked to above? Its still on there £4995. ;)

I think its going to be perfect!

LJ was just too small but I couldnt part with her! Now I dont have to as she will be the fun, weekend, V8 powered, soft top, beach car and the 78 will be for camping and big trips! :dance:

And both of them will have rear seats so both can carry passengers! :icon-biggrin:

It was late last night Ben and I thought it said £3995. At £5k it's out of the question for me.

Hey Ben, sorry to bother, when you get a mo, just wondering what oil sump is under your 1UZFE? Want to replace my 'frankensump' with a proper one. Mine was LS400, don't know why they butchered the sump, seems like plenty of room. Cheers, R

Mine is a front sump. :thumbup:

Not sure if all LS400's are the same but thats what mine had. :think:

OK...............one tiny last update just to finish where I was at with this build before I bought the 78 and everything changed. :shifty:

After this update all future updates will be solely about RJ as I rebuild it ready for sale. :)

Air Intake

The 45 degree silicon bend I ordered arrived.

IMG_5022_zpsq1cfq7di.jpg

IMG_5023_zpshdif5xsa.jpg

It needed trimming.

IMG_5024_zpskvi4r2nj.jpg

IMG_5025_zpsuxjmdqdg.jpg

Bolted it back on.

IMG_5026_zpsonm6m73s.jpg

IMG_5027_zps66guipge.jpg

Needed to fit the 5/8's breather hose next.

IMG_5028_zpseqqdiuvf.jpg

IMG_5029_zpsenp7lxzq.jpg

IMG_5030_zpsmivgrj37.jpg

IMG_5031_zpsjhw71sll.jpg

IMG_5032_zpsiqkf2dtr.jpg

Lexus Badge

The Lexus engine badge was broken when I got the car and its got worse. :doh:

IMG_5045_zps5ezbdplt.jpg

So I removed the whole thing.

IMG_5047_zpstfye0ywt.jpg

IMG_5049_zpsekpskvhp.jpg

IMG_5048_zpsy9l3fjsv.jpg

I'm tempted to replace it with the Toyota one for when this engine is fitted in Toyota models, but its a lot of money for a bit of plastic. So I may just leave it off. :think:

Interior

I fitted the sticks back in.

IMG_5042_zpslalj2rnh.jpg

IMG_5043_zpsyzcwdh7t.jpg

Followed by the vinyl flooring which is getting re-fitted for now but will ultimately get replaced at some point.

IMG_5069_zps6svrburi.jpg

IMG_5070_zpswrofmnl7.jpg

Fitted the seats.

IMG_5071_zpsxbptj0qc.jpg

Fitted the rest of the dash and stereo back in.

IMG_5072_zpstcbgie5f.jpg

IMG_5073_zpsc2lhzmgi.jpg

IMG_5074_zpsv72gq0qr.jpg

Side trims and rear flooring next.

IMG_5075_zpsrnumetgc.jpg

IMG_5076_zpsfivklbap.jpg

IMG_5077_zps3cxxl5va.jpg

I found that the hard top trims are too long for the soft top body. :doh:

IMG_5078_zps0y3gwhnh.jpg

IMG_5079_zpszpe8luzk.jpg

IMG_5080_zps7zxmuoku.jpg

So I'm going to make my own, probably from 2mm alluminium covered in grey vinyl material and I will be able to use the hard top ones as a template as they fit perfectly apart from that one front end. :think:

I needed to put something down in the rear as RJ didnt come with a rear piece of vinyl flooring and new they are crazy money.

IMG_5081_zpsulzmfbms.jpg

Thinking of using some of this black rubber.

IMG_5082_zpsuhzbfwwh.jpg

IMG_5083_zpsbha94yfu.jpg

The center cubby box that RJ came with was looking pretty tired but I managed to pick up a brand new one from a new V8 70.

Pretty crazy to think they havent changed the design of this box in 30+ years!

IMG_5100_zpsvstwko04.jpg

Fitted it.

IMG_5101_zpskglnivph.jpg

IMG_5105_zpstcjyzb0k.jpg

IMG_5106_zpseywfuyec.jpg

IMG_5108_zps7fcutmfy.jpg

I finished painting the charcoal canister and removed the masking tape over the writing.

IMG_5200_zpsbcexcs83.jpg

The new spark plugs finally arrived from the UK.

IMG_5201_zpssmxzvbzz.jpg

The new weld on fitting for the rad overflow arrived.

IMG_5202_zpszjl6e0za.jpg

And so did the airbox with its huge 4" intakes!

IMG_5203_zpshrmlea4r.jpg

IMG_5204_zpso2rbvrjk.jpg

RJ's body is now being stripped down ready to be removed.

IMG_5214_zpsqqt9jht9.jpg

IMG_5209_zps1tndopoq.jpg

My plan is

-Remove the body and move it outside.
-Then remove the V8 from the chassis and store that out of the way.
-Then pull the 2lt out of the 78 and drop it straight in RJ's chassis.
-Then pull RJ's new body off LJ and drop it straight onto RJ's chassis.
-Then wire/plumb and connect everything up and start to get it ready to sell.

I've decided to put the earlier, round headlight front end back on as it is a 1985 car. :icon-biggrin:

My brain hurts!:wtf:

I've absolutely no idea why you are doing this swap around Ben But I do know you will have good solid reasons for doing it and it will all be great when it's done. It also looks like it will be completed by next Wednesday.

I think I missed a body somewhere…or was it an engine? I'm clearly going to need to sit and re read. :drool:

Made me think of this…

Back