Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania 2015

I have never had a problem (yet) with up to 16 jerry cans full of Libyan diesel on the roof at any borders either in the eu or Africa,that is into Italy from Tunis, France from Tunis or getting onto the tunnel in France,, plus my 160l aux full, in fact once going onto the ferry in calais a customs man joked, after tapping the cans, that he hoped they weren't full of whiskey!!
i can't see that bio would be a problem, what's the worst case scenario....either dump it or pay the duty?

andy

Cheers Yogi.

Wouldnt usually be bothered if I was going on my own. With a bigger group I wouldn't want to hold the rest up.

:icon-wink:

for sure they won't be concerned with what's in your tanks Karl, they may just ask yo what's in the gerry's. They're mostly looking for cigarette smugglers and other high tax items. Fuel may be one of them, but you won't be carrying enough to cause any suspicion, not like you have a tanker trailer is it?

You don't I suppose, do you? :think::lol:

more than one Jerry can it can become a problem, I've been pulled before, but only coming back into the EU. got pulled coming out of Poland once after they had joined the EU! had to fill in lots of forms and was told I would be sent a bill but never received anything. Going out of the UK in reality you would probably be ok. No one expects people to smuggle fuel out of the UK!! Filling up again in Romania to get home could save a few quid as well.

IN tanks is fine because that is part of the vehicle. Probably depends on the guy and the day. carrying more than, I think, 10ltrs of diesel in cans is illegal in the UK and I'm pretty sure fuel in cans is banned on the tunnel

Last edited:
These roadbooks from that site are pretty good! I have bought quite a few over last few years. For trips in alps and to use in Massif Central this autumn.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
yes please:thumbup:

Just checked, and you're already there moggy :oops:

So, just to bump it for any updates.... 8 trucks confirmed so far....

Romania 2015.PNG

Last edited:
I'm in a 60 BTW.

have we finalised dates yet?

can't decide whether to bring my dad or not. He's in his 70s now but wants to do another trip. My mum hates this sort of thing so I'm his only chance but 10 years ago when we did the Plymouth Dakar together I had to be physically restrained from giving him a good shoeing with a shovel!:icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
Moggy, I think the dates were finalized some time ago by ratrace (the originator of the trip) as in the header over the chart, above.

I'm sure you can keep the old boy in line, he sounds like quite a character! :lol:

I'll fix the truck type to a 60 when I get the laptop wound up tomorrow. It's great there'll be a 60 in the group :thumbup:

Last edited:
Moggy your dad will have another similar aged person on the trip, I'll be 72 when we go. :character-oldtimer: :music-rockon:

Moggy, I think the dates were finalized some time ago by ratrace (the originator of the trip) as in the header over the chart, above.

oh yeh!!:oops:

looks like I won't be navigating:hand:

that puts it in the school hols so now I have a quandry, take the wife and kids or the old man:think:

Any one else taking youngsters along? On second thought, we could drop the kids at the inlaws in Belarus and then head down

Yep Moggy, there's some kids coming and at least one dog!

We've got a 6 year old kid too, if you all come by.

I'm trying to talk the missus into joining the tour for 3 or 4 days, but I could do with a tidy hard-shell roof tent to clinch that I think.

I want ant an air top, but finding one here's like looking for the holy grail. :icon-rolleyes:

Back