Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania 2015

I will store the hummer and make sure its started and driven everyday shane......
Greater love hath no man that he will from the goodness of his heart care for his fellow mans wheels.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

12 grand and you can take it away Stu and for 500 you can take the trailer tent with it , i've seen the trailer tent i originally wanted and the hummer is just holding back from the things i should be doing . So quick sale before i change my mind - Anybody ?

great to have you on the trip

portugal route.png

Guys, I'm genuinely still up for this, but is there anything I should be doing? Like booking a ferry now or anything? We don't actually seem to have a plan as such. I'd love to go as far as possible in convoy, for part of the journey at least. Just think it would look awesome. Are we going to meet up at Dover, other side of the water or just in Clive's orchard?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I would like to travel in convoy because i believe a shared experience is always better and besides that whilst traveling as a group we would be more approachable by interested/interesting strangers . Obviously a convoy also gives security if someone is unlucky enough to break down but more importantly am i right in thinking there may be kids on the trip ?
I'm hoping we meet at a Service station somewhere near Dover because for me it's a 4 hour drive just to get there so i might spend the night before at a travelodge or premier inn so i can start out fresh and unlikely to run over any frogs . Not sure how far everyone else is from Dover but it may be an option that will appeal .

Of course its only a suggestion that may not work for others , i will go with whatever the majority decide .

Dover would work for me, I'm only 1.5 hrs from Dover so a meet up there would be good, travelling in convoy is better for the reasons Shayne has pointed out

Sort of 5 hours ish for me. All depends what ferry we book too. But if we coordinate (heaven forbid) our efforts then we could be all on the same boat. I'm looking forward to it very much, but I have to say I'd really rather not just drive there and back on my own without seeing another sole on the road. Not just for the reasons already stated, but it sort of give the whole trip a point. Not that invading Clive's place doesn't have meaning, but it is a shared experience. We could even have t shirts. Stickers, sandwich boxes, pens. Oh it's a merchandising dream. Yes I am kidding.

We could even have t shirts. Stickers, sandwich boxes, pens. Oh it's a merchandising dream. Yes I am kidding.

You mean like 'I've been to Romania and survived' sort of thing. God you had me worried there Chris, I thought you were starting a group buy.
mini-wink-glasses.gif

I'm a tunnel rat, probably only about an hour from me. The tunnel is great for this sort of thing because if you miss your timings on the way back you just jump on the next available train, although that could take a wee while at that time of year. much harder on the ferry.

Not sure you'll all be wanting to drive in convoy with me though, 65mph on the motorway!!

A good option I have used when going with large groups from all over the country before is we just agree the first night stopover and we all meet there, generally then people form themselves into small groups depending on where they are and head to that RV. Due to work commitments etc some people didn't RV until the second or even third night.

With that in mind nearer the time might be an idea if we agree a cheap hotel and book into that for the first night. Probably a good idea to try and book tunnel ticket a little bit in advance due to the time of year. Most of us will have to go on the overheight train.

Last edited:
That sounds like a perfect place to meet up.

I know where that is. Bet that gets busy at peak time. You would need to book that well in advance I'd think for August. I found the ferry this year quite painless. Have done the tunnel too which was ok. I have no real desire to do much more then 70 myself. Now I know that there is a school of thought that says just blast it and get there, so if you can do 90, do 90 but I'm not quite so happy at that speed, fully laden in a 20 year old truck. It's nothing to do with fuel economy, it's just about not pressuring the vehicle too much. Also you can blast off in front then you hit traffic or the need for a fuel stop and everyone catches you up. So where's the advantage now?

70-80 is more than enough for me to feel comfortable. And keep the wife quiet.

I will have a trailer in tow so no autobahn speeds for me unfortunately . Besides if it were only the destination that mattered we could jump on a plane and fly there , i would hope there is no timetable set in stone so if we chance upon an event of some kind that we didn't know about (festival or street party or lobbing goats off the tower whatever) we can detour and enjoy without clock watching .

Last edited:
As I am fairly close to Dover I wouldn't be staying at that Premier Inn, I just thought it would be an aiming point to gather at. Speeds on road? I would be very happy to stay at 70 or lower, as Chris points out these trucks are no spring chickens and also as Shayne pointed out, I think the journey matters as much as the destination

trailer for me as well so will stick to about 50-60mph

so maybe two group could be made up

the slow ones 50-60 mph (me inc)

the faster ones 60-70 mph

sorry to say i be using the train as i have the return ticket already book

had a few beers so was looking a the route across Romania and google has me going down a road thats not built yet i love it. Its about from DEVA to about SEBES, hope they finish it before we get there

ROMANIA 1.png

Back