Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania 2017 - Comarnic Visit

my usual reply is, that looks like its going stale.

ffs, I was there today and they said try this, little foil vacuum sealed packet covered in chinese. i opened it and i thought it was a dried fruit which i turned my nose up at. It was duck liver, chewed it a bit before spitting it out, filth. was rewarded with a pork pie though :)

Oh bugger, what will that set you back, Chas, any ideas?
Don't know yet Clive, I just had to confirm it was my vehicle, I was supposed to have replied by the 10th Oct but I didn't even get back to the UK until the 14th I think it was so I don't suppose I'll get any discount.
I finally have got the Cruiser unpacked now though.

Don't know yet Clive, I just had to confirm it was my vehicle,
You didn't consider doing the 'oh but officer it couldn't have been me as my truck's green' dodge did you?
'It was your truck but somebody stole it and drove it for half an hour in totally the opposite direction to the campsite' :)

Our esteemed member Clive Horridge deserves some serious recognition for the hospitality and help shown to his visitors, he has gone the extra mile in all respects, for example, after my journey into the ditch my headlights were smashed, well Clive still had his old LHD ones from when he fitted his Angel eyes, now on his Romanian MOT they had to be put back temporarily but he gave them to me to get me home, no mention of the fact they would be needed again, they will be returned of course.

Also the fact that he and his lovely wife Aura accommodated me for four weeks at Comarnic and Bucharest, also deserves mention for her keeping me fed, she does a lovely fried egg breakfast, and she washed my clothes too.

There were many other ways in which Clive helped me too numerous to mention.

So a very heartfelt thanks to you both

For some strange reason I seem to have missed this post from last week, but Chas, you’re more than welcome mate!

The truth about the ITP (MOT) is I used a new guy for the first test after fitting the Angels in 2014, and he made a fuss. I wasn’t happy having to refit the old units and told him so. Of course, he pulled the jobsworth on me.

Anyway, at the 2016 test (yes every 2 years:dance:) he knew the vehicle and me, and let the Angels through. On that basis I probably won’t need them for next years’ test, so breathe easy Chas.

However, there’s no way I can replace OEM lights here without buying new, so if you could put them on a shelf, just in case, I’d be grateful. After July, I’ll know if I need them.

This forum has changed my life here, it sounds a bit dramatic to say so, but I’ve made a lot of good friends through it and I’ve been lucky enough to meet many of them.

Our place is open-house to any members and their traveling friends, and of course especially those I’ve met as visitors or my visits to them when in the U.K.

I love my 80, what it does, and where it takes us, and so to do Day-trips from here with like minded folks is an absolute pleasure for us, no doubts about it.

Our motto is the more the merrier, but we understand that after 3 visits, it might get a but too “samey” and some will inevitably want to explore somewhere else. Like me, most folks are restricted on time to do these things, workload, fixed holiday weeks, no more than 2 weeks at a time and all this nonsense. It hard to juggle it all together and please all the people all the time, but we’ve managed it 3 years on the trot, and we would love it if it can continue.

So if anyone is interested, I’ll probably be posting a 2018 thread, to see what the interest may be. We do nothing special, visit the locale, eat BBQ, banter, drink beer and wine, we can even have a campfire... :lol: We now have 6 spare rooms at our disposal, (4 en-suite with the other 2 to follow when funds permit) each with double or 2 single beds, so there’s an alternative to camping if anyone finds that appealing.

Chas’ case was a bit special with him staying on for the HMS Phoenix refurb, and it was a disaster with the ditch episode, and very disappointing to all of us, let alone Chas. We have an apartment in Bucharest with a spare room so it was nothing for us to put you up mate, I just can’t imagine how bored you must have been stuck there while we had to go back to our work routine.

We enjoyed your company as usual, so it was nothing for us to have you here, and that goes for anyone else too.

We’ve also had the pleasure of others “passing by”, Brendan @thelal , Sam @Bakkies and several others including local members.

Hats off to the club, I say, and to those that associate with it, it’s been my and our pleasure all the way, and here’s hoping it continues.

In short, it’s us that thank you guys for driving 3,000 km every year to see us and our patch of Romania :clap::clap::clap:

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So, after all the reds, yellows and browns posted in the photos from last week (on page 58 of this thread) Autumn has come with a bump, and the garden has been transformed to this, when we arrived at midnight last evening...

EC9910C4-0395-49C0-898F-90AD554C727E.jpeg

8E018EB8-9ECC-4C12-AFBE-F7FFBADED6C5.jpeg

The leaves are 6” deep but I’ll wait till they’re all down before raking them up.

It’s a sunny morning and the weekend will be dry and sunny, hoping to take the truck out later, but who knows what the plan is, as usual...

Here’s the garden in sunlight... this morning...

AA802A80-7250-4445-ADE2-E38A81828EDB.jpeg

So, after all the reds, yellows and browns posted in the photos from last week (on page 58 of this thread) Autumn has come with a bump, and the garden has been transformed to this, when we arrived at midnight last evening...

View attachment 135307

View attachment 135309

The leaves are 6” deep but I’ll wait till they’re all down before raking them up.

It’s a sunny morning and the weekend will be dry and sunny, hoping to take the truck out later, but who knows what the plan is, as usual...

Here’s the garden in sunlight... this morning...

View attachment 135308

holy moly! thats going to need one big rake!

Those photos remind me of our garden in SA where one autumn I decided I could recover a few hours of play time by substituting the rake for a can of petrol and a match. After creating a post apocalyptic mess of the yard there was definitely no playtime as well as a rightfully earned hiding :)

ah, to be young and fearless ey

Mmm, that doesn’t seem like a very good method of approach, fun I guess, but with one or two technical draw-backs :lol:

Against my better judgment and due to Ana nagging, I got my less than huge rake out of the shed today...

D737925A-1679-4B93-96E2-BA9ECA38CDDF.jpeg

049F9922-A318-4BBB-B3C1-6C8208CEA6AC.jpeg

3 piles of leaves, the first photo looks very tame, but that pile is almost 1.5 m tall!

Anyway, Ana and the pooch have been diving into the pile all day, burying themselves and I dunno what, great fun they’ve had, so the transport to ditch and burn phase is postponed till tomorrow...

Hello Clive, you'll be happy to know that I will definitely be back some day :)
Looking back I'd say my favourite days were the trip up the ridge, I don't think that could ever get boring, and the day Shayne and I went to the tranfagarasan, though that was a looong day. Think finding a campsite near by on the way is the best option for that so more time can be spent there. Oh, and the day my brakes failed. Think that was gonna be awesome but.... Doh! S#%t happens.
Thanks for having me.

Hello Clive, you'll be happy to know that I will definitely be back some day :)
Looking back I'd say my favourite days were the trip up the ridge, I don't think that could ever get boring, and the day Shayne and I went to the tranfagarasan, though that was a looong day. Think finding a campsite near by on the way is the best option for that so more time can be spent there. Oh, and the day my brakes failed. Think that was gonna be awesome but.... Doh! S#%t happens.
Thanks for having me.

Ha, ha! Yes, a small weeping of fluid soon turned into a full on snapped pipe rather quickly miles from anywhere in forest of all places, and it was on a Saturday evening iirc, your timing was perfect, Nick:lol:

Still, you managed to limp back to base camp, and that meant crossing 3 valleys with steep decent hairpin turns all the way!

It was fun, I was placing bets all the way, as to which sheer-drop you were going to choose!

I love the ridge too, it’s different every time I do it.

Anyway, you’re welcome, we had a good laugh too, between us all...:lol:

Oh, Chas, tell me about it. :icon-rolleyes:

Ana bought the stray pup a collar and lead, to take it walks at weekends. She knows we can't take it to the apartment in bucharest, but insists on calling it her own at weekends, no harm in that thinks me...

So we took "Bella" (it has a name now too) for a walk on Sinaia ... all was well till it chucked-up in the back of the truck :crazy: on the way....

The kids went green then, y'know the smell, but they held out.

Uffff.

Just wait till it eats its own poo and comes and gives little Ana a kiss…:puke-front:
The mutt we've been looking after keeps doing this (minus the kiss fortunately) despite me telling him in no uncertain terms that it's abhorrent!!

Lynn constantly has to get to them before he does!!! Yeeuck!!

Last edited:
Just wait till it eats its own poo and comes and gives little Ana a kiss…:puke-front:
The mutt we've been looking after keeps doing this (minus the kiss fortunately) despite me telling him in no uncertain terms that it's abhorrent!!

Lynn constantly has to get to them before he does!!! Yeouck!!

Mmm, no sign of poo eating, Rich. Actually, she’s quite a cute dog, only a few months old, so quite playful and cheeky.

I was raking leaves this weekend onto an old blanket, to haul them to the ditch for burning.

She was somewhere else, but suddenly, I looked round and the blanket was gone.

She’d snook in and stole it!

I couldn’t find her or the blanket anywhere, till I went up to the top of the garden, she was alongside the shed, lying on it, as if it was for her all along!

Mmm, no sign of poo eating, Rich. Actually, she’s quite a cute dog, only a few months old, so quite playful and cheeky.

I was raking leaves this weekend onto an old blanket, to haul them to the ditch for burning.

She was somewhere else, but suddenly, I looked round and the blanket was gone.

She’d snook in and stole it!

I couldn’t find her or the blanket anywhere, till I went up to the top of the garden, she was alongside the shed, lying on it, as if it was for her all along!
She's working on you Clive…:)

Any pics? What make is she (or nearest of the Heinz 57)

We’ve also had the pleasure of others “passing by”, Brendan @thelal , Sam @Bakkies and several others ..[/QUOTE]
Enjoyed the excellent hospitality, little 4x4 outings and scenery

Back