Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rustproofing, updating methods and products.

In theory your brake lines, etc, should be checked at part of normal servicing and I presume the MOT check. This is nothing specific to Landcruisers. Karl and Juddian are right, if a brake line goes you should still have one circuit working, at least for a couple of pedal depressions, which should be enough to bring you to a safe halt.

In nearly 40 years driving I've only had brake lines fail twice (once in an old banger of a Mini, not long after I passed my test, the other in my competition Landy when I think it was damaged off-road first), I don't recall ever having a fuel line fail.

local garage and ask them
How difficult is this job. I also have to change these on Lexus as well. For first time in 2019 it got this corrosion and suspension advisory. I didn’t knew much about corrosion so ignored it n replaced suspension. Now I am thinking to change break lines for both these cars.

Lexus is 2008 model.

Has to be said Raj that being a member here especially while in the learning curve does tend to make you look for and perhaps fix problems you don't actually have .

Rusty brake lines are the same for any vehicle and a quick buck for garages at mot time . For how many years have you driven around in how many cars blissfully unaware such problems exist .

fix problems you don't actually have
Spot on. I too noticed I am getting a bit more obsessive or as they say little knowledge is more expensive :). especially with LC, if I see small thing on it, or anyone suggests anything I am not driving it until I fix it. Lot of new things I learned n doing now. Lubricating doors, windows, driveshaft, rubber boots, rust proofing, washing under the car etc etc. in few more years, I might get the confidence that you all have.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Haven't changed a brake pipe in years, but i've always kept the exposed brake pipes covered in grease and the same goes for any other exposed pipes made of material that corrodes.

They are prone to corroding on many cars, in most cases if deteriorating they get picked up on the annual MOT so its not something one should be too worried about.

In my experience its the brake pipes that link the rear brakes together that can leak, often they go over the top of the rear suspension and are really difficult to see and can be equally difficult to replace, i suspect the rear pipe(s) on your Lexus would be far more difficult to replace than on the LC, but if you get the vehicle serviced at a competent garage i would expect them to be keeping an eye on such things for you.
Thinking further it's more than likely that the entire underside of the Lexus is covered in plastic undertrays, meaning things are protected more but also makes inspections harder, if the Lexus were mine (and yes i'd love a LS460 or GS450h) the only pipes i'd be thinking about checking carefully due to normally being hidden would be the long front to rear jobbie and the section(s) that cross over the rear suspension if the car has that design.

On my W124 Merc the corrode point for the rear brake crossover pipe is where it sits under the small rubber insulated clips, salt gets trapped in there, no doubt vibration plays its part here and they can corrode at those points even if you do spray them with grease etc, its those rear pipes that tend to start leaking in my experience because they are so difficult to inspect and replace compared to the rest which are an easy check for the MOT inspector.
Last time i changed a brake pipe didn't go OE but got them made up of 'Kunifer' alloy which didn't corrode, but that was many years ago and for all i know there might now be some other go to material.

Course its all very well greasing the brake pipes etc but that will go down as an MOT advisory, my MOT's always state chassis etc covered in grease or underseal or whatever too, those advisories wouldn't probably worry anyone here quite the opposite they'd be happy seeing them knowing someone's looked after the motor, but lets be honest people here arn't exactly normal in the world of motoring (no offence people but we arn't), but for a vehicle like your Lexus potential buyers may not appreciate in the same way.

Last edited:
Thanks Juddian.
Exactly. It’s covered underside. Even the spare tyre underneath has a cover. I remember seeing one pipe running between two rear tyres.
This car will stay with me as long as it’s alive. :) this is RX400H. I tried later RX models but didn’t connect to them as much as this one. This old Lexus looks boring n don’t attract unwanted attention. Old is gold.
I guess same thing with Landcruisers, old is gold but every Landcruiser attracts a lot of attention n compliments. They can’t go unnoticed.

Same as the LC's they were expensive new and only the well heeled (like you Raj :laughing:) bought/leased them or they were company issued vehicles, such owners/drivers wouldn't have the slightest interest in even rinsing the underside after the winter salt has gone, though Toyota/Lexus really should have put a bit more thought into which materials and treatments would be used and applied under vehicles heading for parts of the world where salt is used far too much on the roads.
Corrosion issues are really the only weakness of Toyota vehicles, and it need not have been.

I tried to look for AHC bleeding screws to try DIY but they were submerged in rust so ordered fluid from Roughtrax n sent to a garage to sort it. Thought they ll have some technology to work with such screws. They didn’t do it and instead ordered nee bleed screws and asked me to come back after they get them.
I couldn’t wait so today made ACV-baking soda paste n applied. Will see if it works.

Attachments

• 3B05A8EB-9157-425E-BC76-10EBC4A71EF4.jpeg
    3B05A8EB-9157-425E-BC76-10EBC4A71EF4.jpeg
    341.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 07517D43-B484-4DAF-ACAD-4521868A2E13.jpeg
    07517D43-B484-4DAF-ACAD-4521868A2E13.jpeg
    410.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 5851F40F-0E8F-4E1F-8375-95EFF4112C55.jpeg
    5851F40F-0E8F-4E1F-8375-95EFF4112C55.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 49
  • A3B8F082-4DCD-49F2-A36A-DF675C842A6A.jpeg
    A3B8F082-4DCD-49F2-A36A-DF675C842A6A.jpeg
    256.5 KB · Views: 62
Shayne is it ok to use this one on small or sensitive areas like these bleeding screws on AHC, Breaks etc

Yeah its very similar to brick acid cleaner , a very strong bleach the best i can work out , stings your hands so don't get it in your eye . Developed for marine use as its safe to rinse off boats washing it into the harbour .

You don't have to wait for it to work just wash the rust off then rinse with water , obviously the exposed clean metal will oxidize quickly if you don't get some oil or paint or whatever on the part soon after .

Delicate parts left to soak in a tub of it over night will be gone in the morning !

R.I.P my halfords pro 19mm ratchet spanner , i forgot about it DOH! :cry:

Last edited:
Krown seems to be working as expected. I can now see rust flacking off. Krown is expected to contain rust at existing stage, previous rust softens and falls off

Karl to my eyes it looks rust is gone but don’t know if those screws are operational now :) car is going into garage on 22nd. If these screws break, we have 5 new screws, 5 litres AHC fluid ready.
Removing rust is very hard job.

Attachments

• B7DBC91F-DF52-4E07-B600-E28370B98B79.jpeg
    B7DBC91F-DF52-4E07-B600-E28370B98B79.jpeg
    398.2 KB · Views: 38
Looks like rust is still there on my screen Raj. Sorry.
From what Im seeing, if you paint that, it will bubble up again.
Agree, rust removal/protection IS a hard AND filty job, there are plenty of us on here that have done the whole underside at times.

Back