Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

same front diff fit both SWB and LWB models?

vader

Country Flag
uk
Happy Monday everyone :)

OK, serious work ahead as looking at replacing front diff and need to know if same diff unit 100% covers both SWB and LWB models without any difference?

Thanks

There are different diffs across the swb range and also across the LWB range. As long as you match the diff number say R16 it doesn't matter what it comes off long or short but there are a fair few different numbers

Thanks that's a good start. I have axle code and probable ratio detail. I just need to dive under to see if I can see any label confirmation of R16 etc. to bring it all together. Cheers

Yes typically there is a white sticker on the axle tube
If there is then that's a great start
Somewhere in here there is a list of ratios against R numbers

Yep, have spotted various bits to refer to:
4.100 diff no LSDpossibly Difflock A01B
4.300 Diff no LSD possibly Difflock A02B
4.300 Diff with LSD A02A
4.100 Diff with LSD A01A

Note that A02B and A01B is used for both locking and no locking diffs with the4.300/4.100 ratio

ratio R16 is 4:100 and R17is 4:300.

Just need to go and spot that sticker next.

OK, went under. Should the R16/R17 label be on the shaft that runs from mid chassis to the front diff? Any pics of what I'm looking for and location will be appreciated. Just wondering how much do I need to move the vehicle to rotate the shaft. Cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It will be on the axle casing pretty much underneath the diff. you might not see it, if you still have the bash plates on.

Thanks :) Cool that makes more sense. Yep bash plates are off but some crud to clear off the diff first I think.

I did say it's on the axle tube.

OK thanks for the redirection (mind went off on tangent after some other information) label found under a layer of dirt on axle tube with big font R-something-7, 88-02-05 top right, and poss 344 bottom right before text came off. So I'm thinking its safe to assume its a R17....

Parts dept have said if its the R17 / 4.3 diff it's P/N 41110- 67660 but could not say if this is visible.

Can't help you anymore on this one really. But I bet Joe can as he knows everything :lol:

Well, after I have already said it of course arf arf.

SAE is really yer man on front diffs.

R17 is plausible but I can't say for sure. If there aren't any other R*7 variants then it's a safe bet

Can't help you anymore on this one really. But I bet Joe can as he knows everything :lol:

Well, after I have already said it of course arf arf.

SAE is really yer man on front diffs.

R17 is plausible but I can't say for sure. If there aren't any other R*7 variants then it's a safe bet

:lol: My middle name is "oracle" :lol:

For cross referencing - any chance the rear diff also has a sticker? If so I'll try just soapy water....

Oddly, I rather think it doesn't. I have never seen one.

My swb 1998 UK Colorado is R17 or at least there is a sticker on the front propshaft that says it is .

Well that's sorted then. There you go.

Back