Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Saturday 18th December laning in Wales

Dont worry mate. What happerned in the forest stays in the forest. If people want to know they will have to do it themselves with us next time instead of being wimps.

Did someone say it had given the weather to be seriously bad the last few days?

We must have missed it. Dam!!!!!

No worries on the pull cris. Enjoyed watching your face. Wish i got a pic :whistle:

karl

PS jonnie what does TwOC mean?

Taking Without Consent. ie thieving.

C

Don't worry about it mate. We know that and make allowances for it.

Like last night really. Shhhh!

C

Group 1 set off, nice drive up through the woods with unbroken snow in front and as Karl said just white white white really and in some places it was actually quite hard to see through the glare. We drove the first two lanes and then I think I heard some comments about problems in group 2 (had 2 radios on so I could stay in touch). Turns out group two had run into problems a short way into the first lane and were returning to the RV. The dilema for group 1 was that would leave group 2 without a route or knowledge of where to go so after a quick discussion all of group 1 also made their way back to the RV. I think the others can best tell the story of group 2 and what followed :)

This is all I have for pictures I'm afraid:

IMG_1686.JPG

IMG_1688.JPG

IMG_1689.JPG

IMG_1690.JPG

IMG_1691.JPG

IMG_1692.JPG

IMG_1693.JPG

IMG_1695.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sounds like we're all home safely now :cool: Quite an eventful trip; quality camp on Friday night & some good snowy miles today :D Managed some off-roading too :lol:

Good to meet a few more of you lunatics at the same time :cool:

Will flop my pics up on the 'morrow :cool:

Good night... :shhh:

Moi aussi. Je suis bolloxed.

C

Right..
Few pics.
A few when we were driving to find the camp site,loverly new snow and looked great in the dark.
IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

Then for the few i got in the day,shame i didnt get any of the trickly situations :thumbdown:
IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

Thanks to everyone again
karl

There will be many versions of that weekend's events, but only one truth. Those who were there are all sworn to secrecy. So here's the public version of events

Gav, Karl and myself met up in Pontywyd on Friday night. The A44 was a nightmare. I had a lorry jackknife in front of me and go off into a ditch. I tried to pull him out. Nah. Eventually, we found what the major hold up was. Two council gritting lorries clearly spinning out their overtime before Christmas. Doing not a damn thing except blocking the A44 in both directions and thinking it was funny. We three set off into the trees to find somewhere. We found lots of places that weren't on the map and couldn't find places that were. Eventually we got to the most perfect campsite imaginable in a glade.

After a Gin and Tonic, nibbles, poppadoms, curry, rice and full on BBQ, we had coffee, biscuits and a bottle of very fine Irish whiskey. At this point some other bloke turned up in a 100. Clearly lost we befriended him (a bit) and let him stay for a while. Clearly either foreign (Dutch we guessed) or just escaped from somewhere, it was apparent that he wasn't going to go away. And as he had some old biscuits with him, we let him park quite near to us. Being foreign, he was difficult to understand but we think he was called Warren?

It continued to snow.

So, Mr Gav decided that instead of fly-tipping all of the rubbish that he'd brought with him, we set fire to it instead. Luckily Ray Mears was on hand with his trusty axe to get a proper fire going.

P1013780.jpg

Here are some people enjoying the fire. One looks a little grumpy. This was due to his Mummy calling him every 5 mins to tell him to wear a hat.

P1013792.jpg

Cracking night's sleep. Despite everyone else's concerns, we had a fantastic night. The new guy was a bit cold, but this turned out to be because he was a Southerner and not at all foreign, as we first feared. NATO sleeping bag comes highly recommended.

P1013796.jpg

P1013799.jpg

And that, as far as group two is concerned, was largely that. We didn't wake up until 08.00 hrs, had a full on brekkie, got to the RV (late), split into two groups and headed off.

P1013840.jpg
Good looking truck that one.
We went up the long incline shown previously and Reinhard leading the group got caught on a right hander at the top. There was some considerable trouser soiling and shouts of 'It's sliding, I can't stop' as we all backed up to give everyone room. The problem largely seemed to be that each vehicle passing, compressed the snow more and more until is was hard and smooth. We put some snow mats under Reinhard's back wheels and that gave him good grip. He shot off up the track when suddenly their was a loud 'pop' and grease spattered in the snow. After an hour's recovery it was clear that something in the CV dept had gone. We don't know what yet. It might have popped out or snapped. So for Reinhard it was a big yellow truck and a B&B for the night. We then spent almost the entire rest of the day making tea, TWOC ing Jonnie's 80 and talking to idiots in..... yes, Landrover products.

The remainder of us then set off, capably led by some Scally from up Noorth. Great lane. I had a wobble, bringing up the rear when a front wheel went off the track over the edge. Any movement at all was the wrong direction. It was like the bus at the end of the Italian Job. I was bricking it frankly. Dave and Karl reversed up and after a series of heart-stopping tugs we got my 80 back on the road. This is why you should NOT go out on your own.

Lovely setting. Great crew. Not much laning, or none for some people, but I'd do it again for the camping.

All ended well with the hat saga anyway. His Nan rang in the end and said that she'd hold her breath until he put it on. So he did.

P1013837.jpg

And that was our day in Wales.

Chris

Great write ups guys. Wish i had been there.

Glad all is well, shame about the CV going.

Chris - can be well scary when it does that. Thankfully you had some good Toyota muscle and some capable fellas at the wheels to lend a hand.

That all sounds, to use a very overused word, truly Awesome, I'm very jealous.

Chris said:
We then spent almost the entire rest of the day making tea, TWOC ing Jonnie's 80 and talking to idiots in..... yes, Landrover products.

Unfortunately it was more TWOC (Taking With Owners Consent) as the magical snow genie took my keys out of my pocket and hid them.

Arse

Right I am off out.. Let me remember..
Open Bonnet,
connect black wire to positive
Check the steering lock has not re-engaged
Locate screw driver and stick in hole
Press random button dangling from under dash
Put in gear,
Roll down hill
Fingers crossed

Who needs keys and immobilisers

Jonnie

Where are those metal detectorists when you need them. Can't wait to watch Time Team in 3010.

Chris

Had a great day thanks to jon for organising it and sorting the route.shame we didnt get to happy valley 3rd time lucky maybe.Did u manage to start ur cruiser today jonny?

Evening all

Nice neat synopsis of the weekend Chris :cool: Chased that scally all the way home but never caught him up :lol:

Here's me pics for what they are worth:

I drove down through North Wales on Friday afternoon. The snow got heavy around Bala:
DSC02838.jpg

DSC02839.jpg

DSC02840.jpg

On the run from Bala to Dolgellau the road was snowed out & it was falling heavily; it was great!!! The A470 from Cross Foxes was closed so I took the A487 & found this halfway up...

DSC02842.jpg

No signs of life so we moved on... ;)

It was fun finding & using our campsite 'glade' on Friday night. We spent a while selecting a suitable spot to camp :roll: but when we did, it was purfek :cool:

DSC02844.jpg

This was the 'road' out of camp on Saturday morning...
DSC02845.jpg

What happens in the wood, stays in the wood :cool: Unlike certain people with the road!!! :lol: Nearest to the RV on the day & last to arrive at it!!! Did anyone say it was the wrong kind of snow... :doh:

Anyhoo, group one set off:

DSC02846.jpg

DSC02848.jpg

Then we had to back track to the RV & after a bit of a workshop that has been well documented, us stragglers tried again under the leadership of some scally...

Crossing a dam... Yes, the lake is frozen... There was a couple of buzzards contesting carrion on the lake as we passed!!!

DSC02849.jpg

DSC02850.jpg

Then we got to the axle twister section of the lane

Ben & his buddy coming up in style
DSC02851.jpg

Karl & veggieMUX using a lot of panache!!!
DSC02852.jpg

DSC02853.jpg

And Christophe shepherding for any stragglers
DSC02854.jpg

Convoy ready to move on
DSC02855.jpg

Muxley leading the way
DSC02856.jpg

Big hairpin...
DSC02857.jpg

And that was that... We trekked off the hill into Talybont, filled up with diesel, hit Machynlleth for a chippy tea & went off on our merry way...

We thought about tackling Happy Valley in the snow & dark but common sense prevailed based upon the days events... Had the guys known how close we were to it, I dread to think how this report could have ended :shock:

My drive home through Wales was disappointingly tame after all the news bulletins we'd been getting through the day but its all still there to do next time :cool:

Cheers

Good report Gav, but I think that you must have had a faulty batch of film in your camera. Karl's truck seems to be very dark. Now we all know that it couldn't be soot from his exhaust, or even Dave's for that matter. We discussed this at length on the way home didn't we boys. We all agreed that neither of your trucks smoke at all. Not a bit, not even slightly. Right?

Shame you didn't catch that guy Gav. Mind you at the speed he was going, you were never going to.

Chris

Not a bad weekend by the sounds of it. Plenty of snow. Not sure I would have liked to camp though...

A few pics all of a similar theme...

On the way there, about 9am, fine until you met the buses that were powering up the hills not stopping for man nor beast
DSC_1417.jpg

Before the sun came out
DSC_1439.jpg

As far as we got before the first breakage
DSC_1444.jpg

Hanging out
DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

great bit
DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0083.jpg

out of the dark came Karl
DSC_0089.jpg

amazed at how remote you can feel so quickly
DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

DSC_0099.jpg

and the best yet.. we just had to stop
DSC_0114.jpg

Thanks for organising it, and even though i was a last minute addition and proved to be an idiot I hope to do it again! please.....

jc

Back