Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sliders and they're all mine!!!

That's a nice looking piece of kit, I should really upgrade mine as it doesn't seem to work too well with 0.8mm wire. I am using 15K spools of 0.6mm and pre-heating the work with a propane torch to get a decent penetration.

I must write to BOC - I am paying around £70 P.A. for rental on my gas bottle and haven't replaced it for three years (no chassis or trailer projects recently :roll: ). The replacement cost is also about £70.

I should really get a 3-phase supply installed and go for something serious, but its difficult to justify. I could have used a much heavier welder when renovating my tractor :lol: .

Bob.

0.6 is a bit thin for heavy work and deep pen. I would use that for thin steel only. You can fit a motor rated breaker to your current DB and get a bigger stick for heavy stuff. I had to order mine. It's not the amps that it trips at; it's the speed under initial load.. The limit for many MMAs is the 13 amp plug. Go for a blue round plug and you can up the amps quite a bit. If you want really HD mig stuff, I would go 1mm but then you are into another World.

I think we may be into a new thread here. Crispin, perhaps you you start a new one. Do we have a tools and techniques area?

Chris

Sliders all finished today. Tyres coming off the rims tomorrow and then Tuesday, all will go to the powder coaters. Getting excited now. Next job will be a winch bumper. Stand by for a new thread. Patterns will be available. Going to make my version of the Frog's island one

On the 'would you make me some sliders' front. I am leaning towards err, no. Probably not. There is just too much time in them. I would consider making a set of outriggers and the main slider bar. That is less than 2 hours' work. If you sort material and get the brackets etc, I could be persuaded to make another set with a helping hand. But then the whole tree bar, gussets, high lift points etc etc is another weekend entirely. The easy bit is actually the most important bit. The basic slider, once tacked up could be taken by any local fabricator and finished to your design. Jon (I think Toby was the architect?) really did create a fantastic mould in making these the jigs. It saves DAYS. But after that the real work begins. They only suit an auto by the way.

You need about 140" of 100 x 50 x 5 box and about 5' of 3" x 1.5" u channel (it's actually a metric equivalent). Plus the u bolts and backing plates from Jon (limited supply) The steel is not incredibly cheap. 5mm wall goes up quite a bit. But it's not silly money. I reckon it was about £60 odd quid. Ahh, then there's the welding.

Jon, I have made a set of templates for the gussets too. All of which fit onto 4" strip. I shall send you a set when I return the jigs.

Chris

They should look the business when they're done Chris, very sturdy :D When the jigs come back I will make a few more sets to order later in the year with some changes to the step design.

I shall have to arrange getting them back to you. I am going to make a set of outrigger blanks but I reckon that wood would be as simple as making them out of steel. it's only the lengths and angles that you need after all.

Chris

looking good

so why U channel for out-riggers and not box? was this to make access to bolts easier?
then gussets to strengthen

I am thinking of 50X50X4 box for rocksliders for my 90 series - to keep weight and costs down.
the box comes in 7.6m lengths (units) for about £36 from my local steel place
100x50x5 is £68 for 7.6m.....

i will have to see if I can order part-units as don't want too much steel left over.
e.g. buying the 100x6mm flat-bar i would use for "feet" on chassis etc, I don't need 7m of that! a couple metres would be enough

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes the U channel is because the outriggers are very close to the bottom of the foot plates and we used a wide enough section to allow 2 U bolts per foot.

Andy, most steel stockists well sell exact lengths if you want them. OK you pay a cutting fee and a wastage charge but it's an option. The consequence of this service is that many have left over bits on their books from other customers. If you ask them they may have an off cut such as that you need. I rarely buy full lengths.

Making 90 sliders is pretty easy. The chassis rails are parallel. There is a post around somewhere on the ones I made. Maybe on the 'other place'

Chris

Nice work

You should make a few sets and sell them.

Mal

Well not wanting to rock your boat but I think they look crap on your LC! But because photos rarely do justice to your supposedly good work I think you should ship them to me here in Spain (at your cost of course) and I will fit them on MY car! Only then will I be able to give you an honest opinion :lol:

Neat,

regards

Dave

Dave 2000 said:
Well not wanting to rock your boat but I think they look crap on your LC! But because photos rarely do justice to your supposedly good work I think you should ship them to me here in Spain (at your cost of course) and I will fit them on MY car! Only then will I be able to give you an honest opinion :lol:

Neat,

regards

Dave

No No No

Ship them to Shropshire much cheaper and I will see if they look crap on my LC. If they do then I dont mind keeping them out of the way for you. :lol:

SilverLady said:
Dave 2000 said:

Neat,

regards

Dave

No No No

Ship them to Shropshire much cheaper and I will see if they look crap on my LC. If they do then I dont mind keeping them out of the way for you. :lol:

Oh yeh Shropshire, all that rain eeeyuk, send them to me and they will be blessed with 40+ degrees sun........they will still look crap but they will be rust free for years to come, which is exactly the amount of time I will need to complete my evaluation. :mrgreen:

regards

Dave

Dave 2000 said:
SilverLady said:
[quote="Dave 2000":7g0vc648]Well not wanting to rock your boat but I think they look crap on your LC! But because photos rarely do justice to your supposedly good work I think you should ship them to me here in Spain (at your cost of course) and I will fit them on MY car! Only then will I be able to give you an honest opinion :lol:

Neat,

regards

Dave

No No No

Ship them to Shropshire much cheaper and I will see if they look crap on my LC. If they do then I don't mind keeping them out of the way for you. :lol:

Oh yeh Shropshire, all that rain eeeyuk, send them to me and they will be blessed with 40+ degrees sun........they will still look crap but they will be rust free for years to come, which is exactly the amount of time I will need to complete my evaluation. :mrgreen:

regards

Dave[/quote:7g0vc648]

No No No No

They will bend and crack with so much heat, they must be kept in damp conditions for 4x4 rust to give them some style.
We don't want Shiny bling things thats for the landrover never off-road boys.

I have sorted out a good test in Wales for them next week so be quick and post them.

Spain my ass

Mal :D :naughty:

You can all go and boil your head in a bucket cos they're all mine! Like the title says.

They are at the powder coaters at the minute after having had the high lift points added. The wheels went at the same time. Hopefully back this week. I suppose then that you'll be saying that the wheels and my new tyres need testing - on another cruiser?

thanks for the offers but :text-baaa: llocks

Chris

Chris said:
You can all go and boil your head in a bucket cos they're all mine! Like the title says.

They are at the powder coaters at the minute after having had the high lift points added. The wheels went at the same time. Hopefully back this week. I suppose then that you'll be saying that the wheels and my new tyres need testing - on another cruiser?

thanks for the offers but :text-baaa: llocks

Chris

I do think you have a very mean attitude with all the help with testing we have offered and with no appreciation what so ever.

Just think you may look a very silly person with them on such a nice truck and all was offered was to stop you any further embarrassment.

It is Very easy to look Silly you know, you were warned any way :liar: :roll:

Don't think I am minded to tell you that seeing as you've been so rude.

They are a local outfit in Chesterfield. They have a lovely website that someone must have made up for them. Let's say that the industrial unit they're in wouldn't match your expectations from the website. But they do a nice job and the coatings don't come off! I know the owner, cash, cough, thank you.

Chris

Very nice :cool:

But I too think allowing us Salopian's to test them for you would be the best option..... I could give them a real shake down in Morocco next month ;)

Huh, I was gonna throw in a holiday but with that attitude there is no way I'm sharing my tent with him!!

regards

Dave

Tell you what Paul, one thing that these won't do is shake. Blimey, they must be over 40kg each. They really are impact protection. Whether they need to be that strong for general duties, I dunno. But for dropping onto rock ledges etc there really are man enough. Given the overall weight of the finished vehicle I suppose they need to be.

Thanks for the offers, on reflection though I might not put them on. I might cut them up and use the steel for something else. What d'you reckon - yes - no?

Chris

Back