Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Squeaky noise from underneath on idle

Bob

Supporter
Country Flag
ireland
As the title suggests, my 95 has developed a squeaking noise on idle that comes from underneath (think 'person with a shaky hand squeaking chalk on a blackboard')
Methinks its related to the vibration of the engine on idle as when I use the 'idle up' it goes away. Seems to be along the exhaust but cant stop it. Have tried tightening the spring loaded joints but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Bob

Bob, good news and bad news. Good news is that I know exactly the noise that you mean (a bit like a chirrup?). Bad news is that I don't know what it is either. Sorry about that.

It might be one of the rubber suspension mounts. Have you tried grabbing the exhaust in places - with a glove on? It could be all sorts of things really usually set up by the vibration at idle. Is your idle a little on the low side?

Chris

If it is doing it on idle, then it is the easiest type of noise to find because you can spend all day under the truck holding things, tightening bolts, spraying wd40 on bits, etc. It's the noises that only happen when you are moving that drive me to teh loony bin :think: :shifty: :doh:

Been under there for a while now and its some part of the exhaust, if I grab it the noise quits. Will play around with the joints and mountings.
Chris, was thinking idle is ok, about 850 rpm. Just tried it again and its gone, intermittent noise...

I vote the flexy joint
MINE chirped until i adjusted mounting hanger bushing

Well I got the squeaking sorted, was the joint in the exhaust under the drivers door. Then I got concerned about a strong vibration in the truck on a motorway run today. Turned out my OS front tyre was mis-shapen, possibly from a big pot hole, so that was replaced and got it tracked.

Also made up these lashing eyes for the back, bolted into the seatbelt mounts. Will prove handy for tying in camping gear for our trip to South of France on Monday. :thumbup:

IMAG0308.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back