Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Stanage Edge CLOSED to Vehicles

J66P

They have finally got their way, the beginning of the end for the Peak District I am afraid

Official release !

Just received from PDNPA.

Please see below some news from Derbyshire County Council Rights of Way department which they have asked us to pass on to you all. The formal notices of closure are attached with some additional information.

From Wednesday 11 July there will be limited access to the byway open to all traffic (BOAT) route at Long Causeway, Stanage Edge.
The width of the route is being restricted by Derbyshire County Council to prevent further damage to a retaining wall.
Vehicles over 1.5 metres wide will not be able to use the route, between Dennis Knoll in Derbyshire and Redmires Reservoirs in Sheffield, until 10 January 2013.
Barriers will be erected at each end of the route to control access.
The council will be carrying out a survey to assess the condition of the wall.
Anyone requiring further information should ring Derbyshire County Council’s Call Derbyshire on 08456 058 058

not permant though?

"until 10 January 2013" ?

neither was Chaplegate and that wont ever open again

so the PDNPA are finally bowing to the pressure of the ramblers association, and there campaigning to get all vehicular rights removed. :evil:

now chapel gate and stanage have both being closed, i can only think of 2 small lanes that are challenging/interesting in the Peak district. :thumbdown:

i dont think i will bother laning in the Peak's anymore. :(

will stick to Wales and the Lake District. :thumbup:

That is a big shame and bad situation then.
I have never driven it. But mountain biked the trail many times. They will try and ban bikes next, as we used to get hostile looks from red socks when on bikes.

Ben said:
so the PDNPA are finally bowing to the pressure of the ramblers association, and there campaigning to get all vehicular rights removed. :evil: :

Afraid so, the great program they put on the BBC wont have helped at all

Ben said:
now chapel gate and stanage have both being closed, i can only think of 2 small lanes that are challenging/interesting in the Peak district. :thumbdown: :

Yep and one of them now has a voluntary order on it, same old tale I am afraid, hollingsclough will be gone very soon a sthe people at the bottom are getting petetions signed left right and centre to stop vehicles using it due to noise etc.. having dsaid this people want the challenge so all tehy do it keep trying to go up it now that Chaplegate as gone

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sad! :cry: in a few years there'll be nothing left to drive, nothing worth modifying a vehicle for, the vehicles we're seeing produced are mostly soft off roaders so when you're really old you can only talk about the good old days :(

I think a move abroad may be on the cards in the not too distant future! :?

Copied from another forum:-

This has already been posted here under a different heading which doesn't reflect the seriousness of the implications so apologies for reposting...

The Peak District National Park want to ban all recreational vehicular users and are proposing to do this by a series of TRO (Traffic Regulation Orders), even though we have been in discussions with them.

The first two are probably the most iconic lanes in the the Park – Roych Clough and Stanage Edge.

Documents can be found here:
http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/looking-after/co...consultation-2012

It's now just a numbers game and we need you to write/email PDNP and oppose the TROs. One or two sentences will do!

If it's not obvious, you need to email:

[email protected]

and

[email protected]

ASK FOR CONFIRMATION OF RECEIPT OF EMAIL

If you need help, please ask.

IT'S POTENTIALLY THE END OF LANING IN THE PEAK DISTRICT...

Please write now.

If people can fire off a quick email to the 2 address's it might just stop the closures. :pray:

I simply wrote:-

Dear Sir/Madam,

Im writing to object to the planned traffic regulation order. I have responsibly driven this right of way for many years in my 4x4, and i wish to be able to continue to do so in the future.

Please can you give me confirmation of receipt of email?

:icon-smile:

Apparently the TRO on Chapelgate is to be challenged in the high court very shortly.

Last edited:
Now that is an extraordinarily interesting read that Ben, thank you :icon-smile:

Cheers Steven. :thumbup:

I found it interesting that Walna Scar, which I sadly missed out on driving was closed in part because the LDNP produced a 600 page document to challenge why it should be a restricted byway! :shock:

interesting that BMC article Ben.

I used to mtb a lot in the peak-district, and often had ramblers being hostile. e.g. they would love to shut gates in front of us just as we rode up to them...
i also remember some landys once that wouldnt stop to let us past on Roych once, since we were travelling much faster and taking jumps off the big drop-offs at speed on our mountain bikes.

if you look at maps, they are criss-crossed with miles of footpaths, which 4x4, bikes and horses cannot use - yet the ramblers still complain about 4x4 and motor bikes and mountain bikes on the minority of trails we can use,
and what annoys me, this isnt enough for them and they walk places where there are not even footpaths! under the "right to roam"

Last edited:
Back