Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

strange starting problem

Some hard graft gone in there,looking good buddy.

Looking good mate :clap: I would consider the slow starting a separate fuel related issue and your no stranger to fixing those !

jheeze you guys are up late, haven't you got work tomorrow? :lol:

Thanks guys, I really do hope it's another issue all together causing the hard start.

I gave the exhaust manifold a bit of a polish inside but never thought of porting the exhaust to turbo bit :doh:

I gave the exhaust manifold a bit of a polish inside but never thought of porting the exhaust to turbo bit :doh:

There's always next time! From the surrounding mods you've done it may well be worth it next time you have the turbo/manifold out!

Maybe but i'm not pushing for more than i've got , i am happy with it now there has to be a cut off point and with my truck being a good 6 inches taller than it should be with mud tyres i think i'm about there . If you remember it all stated with me asking why we need a tuning chip to get the power it already has , i think i have answered that one but i do wonder what a chip would do if i added it now :think:

To tell the truth i find myself looking more and more a Patrols lately there seems no limit to what you can do to them if you get the right engine .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Maybe but i'm not pushing for more than i've got , i am happy with it now there has to be a cut off point and with my truck being a good 6 inches taller than it should be with mud tyres i think i'm about there . If you remember it all stated with me asking why we need a tuning chip to get the power it already has , i think i have answered that one but i do wonder what a chip would do if i added it now :think:

To tell the truth i find myself looking more and more a Patrols lately there seems no limit to what you can do to them if you get the right engine .

I think the way you've gone about tuning with an IC, Upping boost, Exhaust is the best way to improve power, as well as efficiency, whilst keeping the engine in a very healthy state :icon-biggrin:

You might be happy with it now, but the power will become "normal" soon and you'll want more! :lol::icon-twisted:

Success! After going through various sensors, checking for air in the lines, the last thing I did was give the spill control valve an extra tighten and now she fires up within a couple cranks. Still not 100% perfect, but good enough and definitely fixed the problem.

Went for a spin and she drives really nice. Throttle response has improved drastically in the low rev range and can hear turbo spooling up a lot earlier. Time will tell how good my head repair is...

On a side note... Does anyone use a Multi display gauge that can show boost/EGT/Coolant temp/Trans temp - For example one you can flick through and see all readings? I'd find this more useful than having multiple gauges all over the place.

Otherwise I think Shayne found the nicest one but I don't think it did all 4 of your functions.

Bravo Beau i never had any doubts :clap:

I got an SGear 3 in 1 which cost 3 or 400 bucks in Oz and the US but like most things they come from Malaysia and i bought mine direct for about £100 . You can choose what 3 things are to be measured by this gauge and i'm not sure why you want the tranny temp ?

Last edited:
I think the way you've gone about tuning with an IC, Upping boost, Exhaust is the best way to improve power, as well as efficiency, whilst keeping the engine in a very healthy state :icon-biggrin:

You might be happy with it now, but the power will become "normal" soon and you'll want more! :lol::icon-twisted:

I missed this but must reply - i'm a novice remember so i can't take any credit for whats been done to my truck credit should go to the forum and most particular you Beau for answering my dumb questions and guiding me in the right direction , bikes were my hobby until parking one in the middle of a van removed me from the human race for a decade and the push for more power is just a case of old habits die hard , curiosity is what drives me rather than the need for speed .

Last edited:
You must have an awful lot of curiosity Shayne, as your need for speed doesn't seem insignificant. Probably not on the Guy Martin level but possibly aspiring to it at one stage.

What do you mean removed from the human race for a decade?

Starcruiser, thanks for the links. I think the date logger approach may be what I'm after. I just need to find one that will accept all my inputs. That one for 700 pounds is nice but has more than I need, and the price... haha no way!

Shayne, I've checked out the S gear one, or a version similar and it's good enough for the price, but would prefer to have more than one temp reading. I want the trans temp because I plan on using an entire separate rad to cool it down and would like to monitor the temp to know how well it's doing. I wouldn't be so worried if I was in the UK, but here in Florida, our long hot summers, with humid weather really works the cooling system, and we all know what these 1KZT-E's are like when things get hot!

There's a few out there Beau, certainly worth a googling. [emoji4]

My sgear has a boost dial and 2 separate temp readings egt and coolant because that's what i asked for , if you said you want 3 temp reading and no boost which lets be honest is unnecessary they can probably do it .

I was one of those superhumans the gov keep telling us about Rich but nobody spent a few hundred thousand to make me bionic so instead i would ask for a haircut and get one next month disability and poverty go hand in hand for most people .

Last edited:
Have you decided where you're going to mount your gauge Shayne?

I want to put it dead centre dash where the heater vents are and replace the vents with with smaller circular ones , i'm time wasting as i can't yet decide to do about the music/satnav/reverse screen i want . Its 60mm diameter iirc so too big to replace the clock , the sensible thing to do would be a small cowl on the right side of the dash .

you could get something like this integrated with a double din head unit

avgauges02.jpg

http://zada-tech.com/

Back