Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sudden power loss on motorway

Go careful cracking any of the high pressure fuel lines. They run at something like 25 -30,000 psi which can go straight through skin if not handled correctly and may have standing pressure in so beware if going this route.

Go careful cracking any of the high pressure fuel lines. They run at something like 25 -30,000 psi which can go straight through skin if not handled correctly and may have standing pressure in so beware if going this route.
Went back this morning to try again but this time not even a judder so it wasnt the scv valves. Mechanic has advised to get hold of a fuel pump

Just a thought, but it might be worth checking on those corroded tank pipes again. One way, to save dropping the tank, would be to draw fuel through (using a piece of clear plastic pipe) before it gets to the pump and see if there are any air bubbles present.

Just a thought, but it might be worth checking on those corroded tank pipes again. One way, to save dropping the tank, would be to draw fuel through (using a piece of clear plastic pipe) before it gets to the pump and see if there are any air bubbles present.
Hi flint thanks for your contribution but when the mechanic pumps the prima fuels flows so he claims that fuel is going to the pub. My thought was the prima draws fuel through pipes from the tank to the pump. The million pound question to this group is can a fuel injector pump due a sudden death ???

Last edited:
Hi I've just had a lengthy chat with a helpful guy called Julian at Overland cruisers down south. He said b4 spending any more money get an electrician to check ecu and get a manual on line and check how much voltage should be going to the scv valves and the fuel injector pump. I've hired an electrician to come to the garrage tomorrow and tonight I will try find a manual for lc90 d4d to see what the cuicuits should read in the ecu

Sounds like a good call from Julian. Best of luck

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi I've just had a lengthy chat with a helpful guy called Julian at Overland cruisers down south. He said b4 spending any more money get an electrician to check ecu and get a manual on line and check how much voltage should be going to the scv valves and the fuel injector pump. I've hired an electrician to come to the garrage tomorrow and tonight I will try find a manual for lc90 d4d to see what the cuicuits should read in the ecu
Have a search on here. I’m pretty sure there’s somebody posted what voltages to expect at the SCVs.

Ask your mechanic if he’s checked and confirmed that the fuel pump is dead before he spends your money on a new one. In fact, whatever he suggests needs replacing, ask him if he’s tested it and confirmed it as being faulty before you get another.

Solid advice from Julian.

Have a search on here. I’m pretty sure there’s somebody posted what voltages to expect at the SCVs.

Ask your mechanic if he’s checked and confirmed that the fuel pump is dead before he spends your money on a new one. In fact, whatever he suggests needs replacing, ask him if he’s tested it and confirmed it as being faulty before you get another.

Solid advice from Julian.
I did some research online and came across kd engine manual In their it states when scv or pump changed may need initializing on a diagnostic machines I've come across this cable
HAOYISHANG V10.30.029 MINI VCI OBD2. Meeting electrician at the garrage so will report back. I will have the fuel pump tested before I replace

Same tank and fuel line routing on the 1kz and while it should be self bleeding once the engine is running i was obviously left with air in the lines when i removed and replaced the tank , fuel was still circulating because i kept moving but not enough fuel to give me any power . It was an intermittent problem for a few days (i'd probably traveled 800 miles before we fixed it by pressurizing the tank) .

The trapped air was obviously moving in the pipework because the loss of power was random and the truck had started no problem at all every stop between Cardiff and Germany including after an overnight top in Belgium .

When i woke up in Germany there was no way its was going to start - first time ever :shock:

You changed the fuel filter the night before suspecting it was the problem, I think Shayne and left it til the morning to start it. I guess the fuel worked it’s way back to the tank overnight.

You changed the fuel filter the night before suspecting it was the problem, I think Shayne and left it til the morning to start it. I guess the fuel worked it’s way back to the tank overnight.
I thoughthe changed the filter in the morning as it wouldnt start thinkimg it may have got blocked up and thats when we discovered it wouldn't prime. And then you had your clever idea

Hi guys my elecy let me down but a landcruiser expert is coming Ovet on Monday who has spoken to me and I formed me it's either the fuel pump or the ecu.... I spoke to a very helpful chap from Northampton from this forum who knows his stuff so with you guys from lc club by my side and an u reliable elecy a landcruiser expert from Bradford I'm going to try get through this I will keep you guys posted

I seriously hope it’s not the pump destroyed itself like the Ford ones do around 70,000. That means a whole new fuel system including tank, injectors and pipes as it puts fine particles throughout the entire system that cannot be filtered out but will clog new injectors. It’s about £2,500 + on a Ford so heaven knows what it would be on a Toyota. But let’s not go there eh!! I’ve got my fingers crossed for you.

I seriously hope it’s not the pump destroyed itself like the Ford ones do around 70,000. That means a whole new fuel system including tank, injectors and pipes as it puts fine particles throughout the entire system that cannot be filtered out but will clog new injectors. It’s about £2,500 + on a Ford so heaven knows what it would be on a Toyota. But let’s not go there eh!! I’ve got my fingers crossed for you.
So to clarify if a fuel pump dies on a lc90
D4D then the entire fuel system including the Injectors are knackered and beyond repair

Sorry for not replying sooner.

If your belt slipped (cambelt) it could put the fuel pump timing out so much that it would cut out/not start.

The cambelt drives between the cam and the fuel pump, that's it.

THis vid may help. It talks about correct timing markings.

So to clarify if a fuel pump dies on a lc90
D4D then the entire fuel system including the Injectors are knackered and beyond repair
On a Ford that is correct. I would go so far as to say that if any common rail high pressure pump has a catastrophic failure internally then this would be the case. I’ve never heard of it on this forum for a d4d Toyota engine. Or anywhere (but then I don’t have my ear to the ground for these things). I believe, but I’m happy to be corrected, that the self destruction happened to Delphi pumps. I don’t know but o would expect the Toyota HP pumps to be Nippon Denso, a highly respected name.

I would be very surprised if this has happened to yours. ‘Pump or ECU’ is a very coarse diagnosis (fair enough) which doesn’t necessarily mean complete failure.

Sorry for not replying sooner.

If your belt slipped (cambelt) it could put the fuel pump timing out so much that it would cut out/not start.

The cambelt drives between the cam and the fuel pump, that's it.

THis vid may help. It talks about correct timing markings.

I’m not sure what the belt drives on a d4d. If it simply goes from pump to cam, surely it is similar to the 80 in that the pump is driven by internal gears and the belt then delivers power to the cam rather than the other way round? As I say I don’t know what is driven by the d4d belt but if drive has somehow been lost to the pump then of course a complete stop would result.

I’m not sure what the belt drives on a d4d. If it simply goes from pump to cam, surely it is similar to the 80 in that the pump is driven by internal gears and the belt then delivers power to the cam rather than the other way round? As I say I don’t know what is driven by the d4d belt but if drive has somehow been lost to the pump then of course a complete stop would result.

Internal cam chain drives the cam from the crank. The cam pulley then drives the injector pump via a belt.

Internal cam chain drives the cam from the crank. The cam pulley then drives the injector pump via a belt.
In which case as you say a stripped belt can result in the pump not being driven.

Worth checking as it’s free and simple to check.

In which case as you say a stripped belt can result in the pump not being driven.

Worth checking as it’s free and simple to check.

Yup. Or even if it has slipped a couple of teeth (possible with old belts and/or tensioner.

Back