Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sudden power loss on motorway

New timing belt and pully tensioner done last August but the mechanic will check this out
Hi I went to the garrage today to arrange for my lc to be taken away to another garrage whilst there I did a blink code test the results were
31=manifold absolute sensor!!!!!! that's
Beacause it's disconnected at the moment.

24= Intake take air Temperature Cuircit!!
Those were the two blink codes I'm not sure what 24 intake air temp curcuit is any ideas any one??
Thanks

I might be wrong, but pretty sure the MAF sensor also has air intake temperature sensor in it too

The first is as you identified, the MAP sensor. why is this disconnected, out of curiosity?

The second as Andy says is a temperature sensor usually incorporated within the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor. Even if this or the MAF sensor are disconnected or faulty, the ECU should default to a basic setting to continue your journey or at least get you home. An issue with this sensor should not cause a sudden stop.

Even with both of those disconnected, it shouldn't stop the truck from starting.

Upon cranking the engine, does the RPM tach move? This will confirm if the ECU is seeing the fuel pump turning over, thus sending the signal to the SCV to open.

You still also need to make sure you haven't got air trapped in the pump. A big air pocket can lead to the pump struggling to build enough fuel pressure and the SCV will not open if desired pressures have not been met.

Also do the simple stuff. Disconnect battery and re-connect. Check fuses, earth wires ect

Even with both of those disconnected, it shouldn't stop the truck from starting.

Upon cranking the engine, does the RPM tach move? This will confirm if the ECU is seeing the fuel pump turning over, thus sending the signal to the SCV to open.

You still also need to make sure you haven't got air trapped in the pump. A big air pocket can lead to the pump struggling to build enough fuel pressure and the SCV will not open if desired pressures have not been met.

Also do the simple stuff. Disconnect battery and re-connect. Check fuses, earth wires ect
Thank you BEAU

My truck is with another mechanic and what your stating seems to be the case
Electrics tested ok
Ecu tested OK

The problem is there is not enough fuel getting to the fuel rail and the next step
Is to find out why. Your theory regarding air stuck in the pump sounds interesting. I should hopefully know by the end of today what's what

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry to bring it up again but did you ever try starting it by bypassing the filter housing and trying straight from a separate can?..... just a thought..

Sorry to bring it up again but did you ever try starting it by bypassing the filter housing and trying straight from a separate can?..... just a thought..
Hi Higgy
As the fuel primer was pumping sufficient fuel the mechanic said there was no need to do this.. Not enough fuel is getting to the fuel rail for the truck to start that's the issue here

Hi Higgy
As the fuel primer was pumping sufficient fuel the mechanic said there was no need to do this.. Not enough fuel is getting to the fuel rail for the truck to start that's the issue here
Its just a thought but if you have had issues in the past with your fuel tank and lines. you could still be drawing air up into the fuel filter then passing the air into the rail. which could be, not letting it have sufficient fuel for the pressure in the rail to start.. I might be wrong. just trying to throw up some ideas. Good luck

Last edited:
:text-+1:
It’s a simple test and I hear what’s being said but there’s no substitute for trying it as it will 100% eliminate the fuel lines etc (and shut the pair of us up). At the end of the day it’s your truck Yorks and if you ask the mechanic to run the test there should be no reason for him to refuse. Just sayin’

Hi guys

I have just had a call from my mechanic

Apoarantly the fuel pump suddenly died on me all the other checks were positive . So now I'm going to try get mine reconditioned serviced or swap it for a recon one! So in theory fuel pumps can die a sudden death

I want to say thanks to all that contributed to this post

Good luck with it Yorks. Reconditioning yours would find out the cause. It needs opening up to find what’s happened and prove the theory in any case. If it’s self destructed like the Ford ones, then it will almost certainly need a complete fuel system from tank to injectors. Needless to say I hope for you and your truck (and many other d4d owners) that this isn’t the case. Fingers crossed for you.

Hi star
Apoarantly denso pumps do not cause damage like the Ford ones that's what I've been told

Sounds hopeful. Hope it’s the case. Still got my fingers crossed for you.

I called the rac out when I had my 90 series as my car would not fire up just crank he said I HD a compression problem and new engine needed.
It was the key transponder with the ignition.
My lexus fuel pump just died on me one day and just got in my lexus and nothing just dash lights. The fact that your driving a Lc I bet will be some think stupid even down to a failed alternator as mine went on me funny enough on the m62 by Warrington just died.

Back