Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

tail gate storage.

Hi Chapel Gate, thanks for the reply...patented certainly! Where is the red lion...sounds like another road trip for me if the beer is good? Ha! Yes, I am interested in what your completed fabrication price will be. Please advise when you finalize it. Maybe you can find more buyers to bring the fabrication cost down? As always, I have to worry about budget VS making it myself since I am skilled in both wood, welding and metal fabrication, but I already have a back list of too many projects to do. Your tailgate photo looks like my Toyota Land Cruiser 80 series rig but what vehicle is it specifically from? Also, I might suggest painting the inside of the tailgate with some kind of rino like product to protect the tailgate innards from scratching and rust. In addition, with your idea of putting the carpet back on, it might be made into a hidden locked storage area for valuables: like cameras, emergency travel cash, guns, binoculars, lap top computer or other. Thanks again for sharing your tailgate storage idea and photos!
yes the pictures are on a 80 series. I was going to clean up the inside and spray with black stone chip for the reasons you mention.

I would describe the beer as inconsistent...

Thanks again Capel Gate. As I mentioned in an earlier, post I am at the beginning of adding more off road and camping enhancements to my 94HCJ80 and I noticed on your post your vehicle improvements. I am interested in your listing of heated folding mirrors, oem sub tank, overhead console, the 12000 winch behind factor bumper, and oem dash cup holder. Do you have and photos you can share of your rig? I have tried googling heated folding mirrors for 80 series landcruiser and nothing helpful pops up. What brand and where did you purchase them? And the same for the oem sub tank, overhead console, winch behind factory bumper (all winches I have seen so far require a new front bumper) and finally the most used oem dash cup holder (is that that the one you can install in the dash like a small radio?). I have always been unhappy with the cup holders in the original factory console, especially for passenger use. I know that is a lot to ask but your experience with your upgrades will help a lot in my decisions of what upgrades and where to find them are worthwhile to do.

Hi Chapel Gate, How is the tailgate project going? Has your template been fabricated out of Aluminum yet? Will you install yourself?

Hi Chapel Gate, How is the tailgate project going? Has your template been fabricated out of Aluminum yet? Will you install yourself?
I should be picking up the cut out from the fabricators tomorrow, but i wont be surprised if i ring them up at 3.30 pm and "didnt get round to it today mate, sorry.."
Once i get it back to base ill have to cut and attach the hinges, fit the latches, cut and fit alu angle that the hatches will sit on when closed, clean up the edge left by the laser cutter, drill and countersink the bolt holes, then yes ill be fitting it myself.

ill get pics as soon as possible.

It's only been a week CG hasn't it? That's pretty good going if they've done it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
still got a few niggles to sort out but getting there..
tail gate .jpg
tailgate1.jpg
tailgate2.jpg
tailgate3.jpg

Looking real good! What niggles (as you said) to work out? It's probably cost prohibited to buy from you and ship to me (Seattle, WA) ?
But could you pencil out a set of plans and mail to me so I can either fabricate myself or have it done? I can pay you for this..well deserved! So let me know if that could work? Regards!

Very nice too. My memories of working in sheet metal.... it would come out all shapes :lol:

I might be able to manage a similar thing in wood though, but I could guarantee many more "niggles" to sort.

Nice work there.

About four or five years back I nearly ordered something like this from a guy I the USA. The cost of postage nearly doubled the deal so I did not bother, nice to see a home grown project.

regards

Dave

Thanks Dave, I too am aware the shipping costs are prohibitive for oversea shipping but maybe if members share design plans with their over sea members.... they then might be able to make them in DIY project without having to to do all the design and trial and error work a prototype usually requires. I am sure other members in US who come up with great designs can reciprocate.

Looking real good! What niggles (as you said) to work out? It's probably cost prohibited to buy from you and ship to me (Seattle, WA) ?
But could you pencil out a set of plans and mail to me so I can either fabricate myself or have it done? I can pay you for this..well deserved! So let me know if that could work? Regards!
the plans are on the back of a packet of cigarettes I have long since smoked..

I will get you a postage quote to the US if you like, I dont think it will be as bad as you think.

postage in the uk should be £20 and I'm close to getting a full price together.

thanks all for the complements, I'm really pleased with how this is turning out, few little glitches to sort then a price off the powder coaters..

Capel gate, ha you sound like me...I usually just percil out my plans on a piece of wood I have laying around. But if we can get reasonable shipping costs I am very interested!

Note to all potential users of this tail gate storage - actually ANY tail gate system.

The release cables for the rear lower hatch run in this space. Make sure you secure the cables to the ends of both the handle and the pull release at BOTH sides.... else you'll be using a very small hack saw to cut through the U bar that that lock connects to. Ahhemmm it takes about 30 or 40 min to cut through as you only have about 1 inch of cutting movement..... yes it was frigging annoyingggg. I was lucky that tools were available outside the truck... as my hacksaw was inside the rear of the truck... which I couldn't get too.

The reason for this - I packed the rear storage area with stuff and it all shuffled around and moved whilst closing the hatch... knocked the release cable off the lock... so when I used the handle it pulled the cable/bar which wasn't connected to the other end... result - no access to rear hatch... as I also have a mesh barrier between the rear areas I was stuck.... ohhh no side access either as I'd taken the windows out and used side storage units as well....

NOT difficult to fix .... but a pain if it happens....

Ohhh - yes the units look good...

Back