Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

tail gate storage.

thank you kindly. I got some cheap tool rolls off ebay and managed to get my entire tool box in there. plus room for more stuff, and the pesky jump leads that I'm glad to get out of the back of the motor..

theres more room in there than you think.

cheers chaps.

Nicely done CG. A great compliment to a pair of Gullwing doors if ever I saw one. :clap:

Curious as to why you chose two hatches and not one?

its very handy to have one side to place stuff on whilst rooting about in the other compartment.

if I would of been happy with one hatch I would of just bought the back bay one from the states. would of saved me a hell of a lot of time..

WOW! Congratulations CG, a work of art. I particularly like your idea of two hatches. When can I expect delivery of my one?
As soon as its back from the powder coaters..:)

Looks like we have a beta tester...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just had the storage flaps from chapel gate (Mike) fitted in the rear tailgate, I got Julian V to fit them for me as I’ve not been too capable lately of working on the truck.

I must say straight off they are an excellent piece of kit.

Because of the thickness of the new flap my drawer unit which pulled out flush with the tailgate had to be raised to allow clearance when the drawer was opened it was done by just raising the rear edge by about 1/4” which was perfect.

First remove old ally sheet,

20170616_192012.jpg

Then mark for cut out,

20170616_193116.jpg

Remove necessary bits to lift the drawers,

20170620_143841_001.jpg

20170620_143902_001.jpg

Then hand over to Atti to do the rest,

20170620_161026_001.jpg

20170620_161239_001.jpg

Job done, very pleased with the result, all that remains now is to decide what to put in there, thanks Mike.

20170621_194717.jpg

20170621_194735.jpg

Last edited:
Pleasure chas. glad you like it.

Looking at the piece of alu that came off your truck it looks like it'll be put through its paces..

Nice one Chas/ Mike. I've been thinking about this for mine as it would strengthen the tailgate. I was amazed just how bowed mine is.

That looks a really good idea.

Can I make a couple of suggestions:

Line the inside of the tailgate with glue on carpet lining. It will protect the inside of the tailgate from scratches.

http://www.magnummotorhomes.co.uk/en/Wall-Lining/Wall-Lining-Carpet

When cutting out the holes, have a 25mm or so radius in the corner rather than a square corner. It reduces the chances of cracking. I suspect it doesn't matter with the tailgate but it is generally good practice to avoid sharp corners.

This morning I modded the rear fog light in the tailgate to create little more room, I didn't have my camera handy but it's much the same as Mikes jobby below, although I used two square LED's instead of one round one to make it brighter.

tail gate storage.jpg

I will be covering the inside with some dark green self adhesive felt, I've secured the loose wires with a hot melt glue gun and the felt covering will keep it all in place. I've also taken out completely the N/S fog light as it is behind the spare wheel on the rear bumper it can't be seen and only one fog light is legally required anyway, I've left the red reflector in place to keep the hole covered. I used another ally plate to cover the now removed N/S light. Work has been slow because of back problems but it's getting there.

Last edited:
Can you link where you got the led for lights from.please chas.

Back