Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

This diesel shortage then

Brexit and some of its fallouts are definitely part of it. Also the only response the govt has had is 'let's bring in the Europeans to drive here and give them a tax cut'.

This was going around earlier off an LSE forum. Could do with a somewhat larger sample size than 615(?) though.

1632692013101.png

So it's all made up and there is no supply problem?
And of course it's nothing to do with....

Deflect, obfuscate or just double down when all else fails - I wouldn't trust Mr Shapps, the man's a bona fide crook.

Imagine if people were commuting like they were pre-pandemic, I wonder if the supply would've kept up with demand?

I went to my local Esso station today, knowing they have run out of fuel but they have a Tesco Express and we needed some milk....asked when they might get a delivery. Answer was "Wednesday, if we're lucky".
there is no shortage of fuel. its a logistics issue.

IR35 saw the EE's back off in big numbers, it was a tax fiddle anyway and the govt rightly stopped it.

Pay rates go hand in hand with the number of hours expected, years ago drivers used to get (like everyone else) proper overtime rates, night rates, weekend rates, bank holiday rates, gradually since hundreds of thousands of drivers and other workers from eceonomies with poor pay arrived those rates have been cut.
Instead of daily based OT became based on after your weekly working hours, no not 39 or 40, often 50 before OT cut in and then it might be time and a quarter or 1.5 if you were lucky, but not being daily based they could work someone 13 and 15 hour days for Mon Tue and then give them a 6 hour shift Fri to grab back the OT rate.
When i started on the lorries 12.5 hours was the max, then we joined the EU, got tachographs and to improve safety even more we got to work a 15 hour day.

Drivers packed the job in because they were being take the piss out of pay wise and increasingly being treated like dirt, increasingly demoralised as assumed to be at the level of competence of the worst fool these companies could find cheaply, so companies fitted trackers and some kid that left school lasty year would be straight on the phone asking why you were stopped or off route.
That wasn't enough so they started fitting driver facing cameras, because they employed half wits prepared to work fort peanuts who instead of driving were playing the fool with phones and had serious accidents, but again everyone had to be tarred with the piss poor managers knee jerk reaction.

Retiring drivers? they must be bloody brainy at the RHA, did no one send them an email 5 10 15 years ago letting them know how old the vast majority of lorry drivers were, just shows what they know.

Leaving the EU? bloody right, most working people are fed up to the back teeth with having to lose their wage and living standards because our govts (both hues, there's not a fag paper between them) deliberately allowed millions of people from poorer economies to flood here in numbers that couldn't be coped with (and they lied about the numbers like they always lie about the numbers), damn right we voted to leave, and they don't like it that we did.

The transport industry has no one else to blame but itself for the current situation, employers who offer decent terms and conditions don't have any recruitment issues, they never have and they never will.

The industry wants to resume the race to the bottom with hordes of cheap drivers so existing staff don't ask for decent pay...''there's the door if you don't like it i can drivers ten a penny'', well yes you can, but the one you got might be pissed up and decide to have sleep in the bunk eraly hours in the inside lane of the M1 and a minbus full of happy innocent people on an excursion might pull up behind thinking traffic had stopped and some pillock without a clue in an artic might ram them up the arse stuffing the minibus into the back of the stationary artic (waking our poor chap from his slumber) killing most and maiming the rest of the poor sods in the bus, and yes you might remember this from about 3 years ago because it happened just like that/

yes, but there isnt a shortage of fuel at uk refineries. there is a shortage at the pumps due to panic buying and a lack of drivers.

Appreciate the point but it's the same difference to the consumer though innit.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
yes, but there isnt a shortage of fuel at uk refineries. there is a shortage at the pumps due to panic buying and a lack of drivers.

That's it in a nutshell. There's plenty of fuel but it's in the wrong place. The closing of a handful of stations due to delivery driver issues gets reported on and Joe public thinks "oo'er, I'd better go and fill up while there is some" then in the blink of an eye there's a problem. Anyone remember 1978-79 and the "Winter of Discontent"? I feel another one coming on.

Just wait till nearer Xmas - when people can't buy a turkey, this is going to seem like a kids tea-party. :icon-wink:

P.S. I've never been bothered about having turkey at Christmas and usually only have it if I'm having Christmas dinner away from home.

On a more serious note, I think we maybe in for a few eventful weeks/months. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit more discontent than we'd like.

1977 joined up during basic training all the other training wings had to stop soldier training and do fireman training with the Green Goddess bearing in mind all we had was what we were wearing which was a set of DMS boots set of camouflage combats and a beret we were not bullet proof back then and definitely not fire proof the Armed Forces all have petroleum trained personnel and they are all highly trained to civilian standards and would say beyond those standards as they saying goes Train for War (don't know the rest ) well anyway if they are not working at the job then they are training for the job heard someone on the radio saying that civvy tanker drivers are highly skilled no disputing that SO are the military and for the sake of arguments if the fire service were on strike again I would bet my left nut that he would be more than happy to see a Green Goddess pull up outside of his house on fire and a squad of the BEST put out his fire

as they saying goes Train for War (don't know the rest )

Si vis pacem, para bellum......"If you want peace, prepare for War" maybe?

if the fire service were on strike again I would bet my left nut that he would be more than happy to see a Green Goddess pull up outside of his house on fire and a squad of the BEST put out his fire

Are there any Green Goddess's left in any number these days or have they all been scrapped?

A lot off truth here

Petrol tanker drivers have an ADR qualification as well as a HGV licence. They need this for them to drive fuel tanker lorries.
There is a shortage of HGV drivers. That's a true fact.
However, HGV drivers can't drive a petrol tanker lorry without having an ADR qualification.
The UK had ADR drivers last week. Nothing changed much in a week. Maybe some holiday or some sickness but not a dramatic change.
The ADR drivers that were driving last week are probably driving this week delivering fuel so, nothing changed much!
The petrol panic we are now experiencing is all down to media hype.
It's not because of Brexit, because all the EU drivers went back to Europe which is some of the reasons being banded about.
These EU HGV drivers left months ago, and yet the country was still getting fuel without problems up until today.
So what's changed? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!
Apart from the disgraceful media hype and scaremongering to make news to sensationalise the fact that a couple of petrol stations were getting a late delivery so they closed temporarily.
The result of the media scaremongering!!
Massive panic and chaos by everyone which is now causing a shortage of fuel until the ADR drivers, that we already had delivering fuel a few days ago, can deliver again.
The media should be fined and penalised, severely for publicising false news and creating the crazy situation that has been going on all today. It's disgusting!! They should hang their heads in shame.
(Copied and re-posted for general info.)

The local Tesco in Dover had a delivery late Saturday night, And on Sunday morning all 15 pumps were working as normal.... But this morning it was Closed, Completely empty of Diesel and Petrol.... It didn't take long did it..... One day and completely sucked Dry.... The next roundabout along is a BP garage which is the last call for fuel before boarding the ferries, Thats been closed for two days..... 'Nevermind' as they say...... Iv still got half a tank so sod em!

There is something to be said about the public sentiment as well, so easily influenced.

Not a great place to be for sure.

In related sense, note that Germany and France have driver shortages too! And the US has a massive problem with some ships needing to wait weeks before they can be offloaded at ports. This isn't a UK special thing, were just handling it really badly. 'it' also including misinformation and panic.

Has anyone noticed a big decrease in traffic from the school run mums round where I live the roads àre very close to the amount of traffic when the shutdown of the country first happened panic all you like I'm enjoying the peace and quiet

Traffic this morning seemed pretty high from what I could tell.

Just had a walk to out local shops, past our nearest filling station which has no E5 UL but does have diesel and E10 and no queues. The station was dry on Sunday so they're obviously getting deliveries. No carrots in the poxy supermarket though. :angry-screaming:

Cant say Ive noticed a decrease in traffic. There is a dual carraigeway not too far away, and when the wind is in the right direction and small windows open, we can hear the hum of traffic.
Its still there, all times of day and night, especially loud performance cars and bikers going for it.
Seems no one who has fuel is trying to save it, and life goes on.

Back