Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Thoughts on using this stuff to make rear drawers

cmcmill01

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Are they push fit connectors? how well would they stand up to vibration. :think:

In the past we've used similar fittings, very strong and a very good fit. If you were concerned about the joints coming apart you can drill through the tube and fitting (all the way through) and fit a roll pin in each join. The only way it will come apart then is to remove the roll pin

I thought about something similar a while back. I think by far the best way to do draws is detailed in Andy's hilux thread.

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/50558-My-Hilux-Build?highlight=hilux

Yep, have been following that thread, but even all that unistrut bending seems complicated. I have created a drawing in Sketchup but with the idea I would use 12mm ply, which I'll post the image when I get a chance. Thought the box section and connectors would be easier to put together and lighter, I am no craftsman!
Are they push fit connectors? how well would they stand up to vibration. :eusa-think:
Looks like they push together, and that was my worry whether they would shake themselves apart.
In the past we've used similar fittings, very strong and a very good fit. If you were concerned about the joints coming apart you can drill through the tube and fitting (all the way through) and fit a roll pin in each join. The only way it will come apart then is to remove the roll pin
Cheers for the info, which company did you get them from, see they are up on fleabay aswell

The fittings we used were caused speed fit i think, RS components was one supplier and i've seen them on ebay, either aluminium or plastic. Some need a plastic collar which helps finish off the end and acts as a wedge to keep it all together.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Used these on my drawer and they work a treat. The only issue was the height of the frame.
I built the frame so that the top just clears the mounting for the third row of seats,but when you have two connectors end to end they are too long so I cut through the connectors to suit.
What I have found is the connectors don't need to do much except join the aluminium together,the strength of the frame comes from the cladding which holds it all together.

I used thin ply for that and stuck it to the frame with sikaflex then covered in car carpet to match the interior and added some aluminium trim to stop the carpet from fraying.

I'm well pleased with the result

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did this for my off road truck, strong, tight and no rattles

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Back