Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tirfor

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
Right then,
After finding out about the sunday night adventures, i have chased up an old enquiry about Tirfor equipment.
For my work i use a lot of lifting/pulling equipment which we have to have specially made as the machines we do are a bugger to work on. Because of this, we use a company that supplies everything including tirfor winches so have given them a nudge to get me specs and prices, including a range of straps and chains to make up a kit which are all custom made, tested and certificated but surprisingly are not that dear. They also do all the spares (shear pins etc) and reconditioning.
I will post soon the details, but need to know what model/capacity tirfor is actually needed for a safe recovery/weight of unit/ease of use etc so will try to secure a group buy.

Well I would be interested in a kit.... depending on price of course. Looking at ebay they do seem quite dear though :roll:

Your tab is running quite high, i now have a desk covered in brake discs and pads ;)

Would be interested also, I like the idea of being able to pull (al be it slowley) in any direction

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Paul said:
need to know what model/capacity tirfor is actually needed for a safe recovery/weight of unit/ease of use etc so will try to secure a group buy.
I think the medium sized ones are best, IIRC 2400kg pull, 800kg lift?

Arn't we all already carrying a hand winch :? :)

P5160034.jpg

P5160037.jpg

P5160038.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=8836

:D :D :D ;)

its true- but a T35 is much more powerful and far quicker than a hi-lft- you don't need to re-reig evey 4 foot which is good.

I'll be interested to see what you can come up with Paul :thumbup:

HI Paul

I'll have a couple of shear pins - mines the one that pulls 3200 kg.

thanks muchly

mine (Jetrope not tirfor) is medium sized but it's 1600kg lift not 800kg and 2400kg pull.

i have a blackrat "copy"/"version" of the Tirfor. saved me a long walk and getting tractor/landrover to pull me out of mud and also a ditch last year.

I only just found where the 2 spare shearpins were tonight! they are in the yellow locking lever, plastic end caps removed to access them,

now where do these shear pins go? where are they located on the tirfor?
wonder if the tirfor shear pins fit the blackrat hoist, as there arent many blackrat resellers in UK unlike tirfor

Just found these hand-pull winches with a 4000kg double-line pull http://www.autow.co.uk/winches/hand_pul ... s_137.html

Much cheaper than the Tirfor and much, much lighter. Other than the restricted line pull length which could be overcome, is there any reason why one of these wouldn't be a good alternative to a Tirfor? Could even carry two.

I have one of those Lorin, for pulling axles into alignment for bush's etc, no way I'd ever consider trying to recover a truck with one! I don't know how they come up with their figures to rate them but it must be in a parallel universe :roll:

Let me get my big muddy stick out again, shove it in the puddle & give it a good stir :D :D :D

sae70 said:
STOP :!: STOP :!: STOP :!:

Before you buy one consider this :arrow:

How much do they weigh :?:
How much room do they take up :?:
When did you last need to winch yourself out of trouble in a hurry :?:

If your stuck & some form of hand winching operation is your only option then does it matter how long it takes so long as it gets you out of trouble :)

Do you not already carry a Hi-Lift Jack :?:

If so why not buy yourself a Hi-Lift Off road kit :D http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/off-road-kit.html it's only £80ish Weighs nothing compared to a Tirfor or equivilent & comes in a handy little bag all ready to go :D So long as you don't rig it up as Hi-Lift suggests it works really really well & actually takes no time atall :thumbup:

With over 100 years of quality, the Hi-Lift Jack is a rugged, highly versatile jack that puts you in command of situations requiring lifting, pushing, pulling, winching, and clamping. Although light in weight and easy to maneuver, the Hi-Lift Jack offers a rated capacity of 4,660 lbs (2114 kg) and a tested capacity of 7,000 lbs (3175 kg).
Oh & one new thing to add, HOW MUCH one of those T35's :shock: :!:

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Why would you bother carrying a big heavy cumbersome hi-lift jack that needs countless accessories to justify it's place in your truck if you care about space and weight? I have a jack-all and a jetrope winch. Want to guess which one has been used lots in the last 8 or so years and which one got used twice and was useless both times?

The tirfors are heavy mine in particular - I recall Jon joking that i needed a hoist to get mine out of the truck - he's not far wrong. And the 16mm cable weighs loads and cost almost as much as the second hand tirfor. and persuading it to coil into the old fiesta sized tyre it lives in was fun too. so mine's probably overkill but there you go.

btw if you need cable for your winch i got mine from these people - very impressed with them
http://www.midlandwirecordage.co.uk/winchcables.cfm

Back