Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Transfer input shaft seal - is it hard to do?

Lorin

My transfer is leaking from the input shaft. I know removing the transfer itself isn't difficult, other than the weight of it, but is removing and replacing the input shaft seal an easy enough job? Searching and googling hasn't revealed anything of help and it isn't detailed in the FSM. I don't want to drop the transfer to discover I can't do it, or need some tool I don't have! I have a new OEM seal.

I’ve not done one on an 80, but it was pretty straight forward to do on a 95. The flange nut is easier to get off if you have a decent impact gun.

Cheers, I'll sort a decent impact wrench

According to the FSM the input shaft oil seal is removed/replaced using special tool
SST 09316-60010 (09316-00010) but it doesn't look anything fancy. A socket of the correct size would probably suffice.

Cheers, I'll sort a decent impact wrench

I'm very sorry, I misread the topic, I was thinking of output shaft seal...........:oops::oops::oops: Getting old !
Impact gun will still come in handy though.:)

Last edited:
You mean this one here Lorin? Looks pretty easy.

Screen Shot 2016-11-06 at 09.18.43.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
According to the FSM the input shaft oil seal is removed/replaced using special tool
SST 09316-60010 (09316-00010) but it doesn't look anything fancy. A socket of the correct size would probably suffice.

I'd seen this but it appears to be based on the transfer having been diasassembled in order to push the old seal out. I wondered whether it was possible to replace the seal with the input shaft still in place by pulling the old seal out.....

I'm very sorry, I misread the topic, I was thinking of output shaft seal...........:oops::oops::oops: Getting old !
Impact gun will still come in handy though.:)

No worries, you're right, I do still need that impact wrench :)

Yes it is Lorin. Because that's also the seal for the input shaft into the transfer. Look. There are two essentially and until you pull it you won't know which one it is. Could be either or both

Screen Shot 2016-11-06 at 11.10.18.jpg

Chris, I honestly didn't know that. I assumed that leaking transfer oil could only be the seal on the transfer input shaft.

And as it's the same oil you can't really tell which. At least with engine and ATF there's a difference.

Back