Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Underslung air tank

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Fitted VIAIR tank underneath today. Plenty of room above the spare wheel. Piped in on a temporary basis as it's so cold I can't feel my fingers anymore. All working but the compressor needs to be positioned and secured once I build my drawer system. Then there will be a second feed to the rear bumper.

IMGP4326.jpg

I took the opportunity whilst under there to free off breathers, clean out fuel vent etc. I also took off the spare wheel mechanism and gave that a good service, then I made a new winding handle to replace that awful thing that you get with the truck.

Works really well as the T on the end can't slip out of the socket on the winder.

IMGP4321.jpg

IMGP4323.jpg

Chris

Attachments

• IMGP4326.jpg
    IMGP4326.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 1,911
  • IMGP4321.jpg
    IMGP4321.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 193
  • IMGP4323.jpg
    IMGP4323.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 188
That is where my air tank is going when I get around to fitting one.

Paul

I'm going down that route too, what size is that VIAIR tank? I aquired (off eBay, where else?) a brand new tank from a small garage compressor minus the actual compressor, I've already got a T-Max, the tank is 24ltrs a bit big, and doesn't leave room for the spare but as that is on the back bumper I don't have to get the spare underneath. The T-Max will be mounted behind the rear wheel arch beside the rear drawer system.

That's the 2.5 gallon tank, Chas. It's about 7" high.

Chris

Ta. They're pretty durable in my experience and are well capable of living outside even will all the off roading. Obviously the spare wheel once in place protects the tank even more. Save a lot of room inside. I am thinking abut going for two pumps though. This new one doesn't deliver the same amount of air that the 440p did that I fitted to Lil Blue.
Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris, did you waxoil the inside of the tank before fitting?

Paul

No I didn't. Doesn't recommend that in the destructions. I can spray oil into the taken occasionally if needs be, but never had to on previous tanks. Drain cock has always produced clear water. No rust. Most of the time there is no pressure in it either. At the price, if they only last 5 years it wouldn't be a heartbreak.

Whatcha thinkin'?

Chris

I use to work at a place making the air tanks for all sorts of brands, we use to pour wax oin into them and tip it out. It coated the inside of the tank to stop the rust building up.

Paul

You can do the same on a 90, Colorado / Prado too. Only it has to go longways under the seat area. Nicely protected up there.

Chris

Nice Chris. All it needs now is a coating of fresh mud :)

Chris said:
That's the 2.5 gallon tank, Chas. It's about 7" high.Chris
Mine is 10" high, too much to fit between chassis rails, I had a chat with Greg :ugeek: and we decided where the spare lived is the best place, just got to get some air connectors and Greg is going to fit it for me.

Back