Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Updating AHC springs

Howmanygoes

Country Flag
england
On a recent trip we may have overloaded the truck slightly as the height indicator was dropping into low without adjusting the position sensor.

AHC works normally without load.

Is it possible to up rate the system to a heavy duty spring as an interim till I can cough up for a full system swap out?

IIRC it is. Some good info on Mud about this. Worth a bit of reading over there.

Following this, mine dropped to low setting during recent camping trip with 6 of us in the 100 and towing a trailer tent. I'll have a look for the information on Mud too, thanks Lorin.

That’s the only time it’s ever happened to me. Pulling away with a camper trailer full of soaking wet canvas.

King Springs KTRS-79 are the most commonly recommended upgrade springs for AHC equipped 100's.

I bought mine from Sparesbox in Oz. Delivery was fairly fast.

if it's for an occasional load rather than constant I'd use new standard spec springs with 30mm spacers and air bags. If you don't let the AHC carry enough of the load the ride can get very bouncy because there isn't enough damping.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I replaced my AHC Globes a couple of years ago. There are three grades out there - standard, heavier duty and really heavy duty.

I used the middle grade.

Towing a 2.6 ton mini-digger on my Plant Trailer the back was dragged down because the trailer hitch is a bit low. If I set the height to 'low' it wouldn't come back to 'normal', but if I left it in 'Normal' it stayed there. Whether this was a function of the globes I'm not sure, but the springs are soft and allow the suspension to drop to 'Low' so don't expect them to help with a heavy load much.

(My plan is to change the 50mm ball hitch on the Ifor GX 106 to a Clevis Hitch then use the pin on the 5-ton Dixon Bate Combination Hitch which will allow the trailer to sit level when the '100' is at 'Normal' height).

Bob.

Cheers for the input guys. It’s a constant load now I have kitted out the back with travelling kit.

Think I will have to bite the bullet and swap out the AHC.

Back