Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

V-Belts and water pump

Francesco

Country Flag
italy
Hello mates,
I need an advice. I'm going to replace the vane belt as my power steering is dead. Checking the v-belts I shuddered as they are in awful conditions. So the question: if you were me, would you replace the water pump as a precaution?

I replace waterpumps periodically, treat it like a cambelt because they aren't expensive relatively speaking but the consequences if they fail can be severe.. If the old one seems ok keep it as a spare.

The pump seems perfect but I don't know how long it has been there. The maintenance procedures manual doesn't mention any scheduled replacement but on my previous cars I used to replace both the v-belt and the water pump at 60-70.000 km intervals. Maybe I'm too anxious.

there is no scheduled replacement program for the pump, but having had 2 fail on other cars with catastrophic results now I don't take the chance, I change them after about 80000miles

I always carry a spare water pump - but perhaps Moggy's approach is better, simply replace it from time to time.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It is a good idea to have a spare for parts that are important especially on a long trip. Just to share with you a technic I learned to physicall check wether a fan belt is worth buying. There are parts out there that are new but old stock. rubber is not exempted. Invert the belt by twisting this to position wherein the inner groove is now facing out. Squeeze this and if cracks appear, it should never be installed.

DSC00981.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Attachments

• DSC00977.JPG
    DSC00977.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Back