Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What are your top-3 expo prep jobs??

pberrey

Country Flag
uk
I'm starting to get my act together for a trip to Morocco next April(*). I've done the cam belt, bebs, oils and batteries already. The lockers have been rebuilt and work.

New UJs are in the props (almost!) and I've got front and rear diff pinion bearings and seals and four wheel bearings to go in. The rad is only a year old but it's an aftermarket two row rad not a three row which I don't think will be up to the heat so I have that pencilled down for replacement.

I'm also concerned about the pesky heater hoses and I want to be able to lock the centre diff in high range.

Anything else??

* - if anyone wants to tag along they are welcome. I'm thinking of the Easter school holidays before it gets ultra hot.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A bit confused here (not hard), pesky heater hose is a petrol engine problem IIRC? Unless you mean the heater hoses in general? Either way there are a number of small hoses on the diesel so along with the main radiator hoses I would replace them, cheap insurance, you mentioned the BEB's so I am assuming yours is diesel?

CDL is easy, just get the switch and plug in as the wires are behind the dashboard. If you want to stop the CDL coming in when selecting LOW then unplug it from the TB. Small plug towards the rear of the TB looking from the rear about 1 o'clock.

Unsure about the radiator function, it does get bloody hot there but, most overheating comes from people trying to climb serious sand dunes at midday, loaded with expedition gear and any shortcomings in the cooling system will show up there.

One thing I would add from a preparation point of view, get under and with a very bright light and check out all the mounts for rust, in particular around the panhard rod mounts and around the steering box, deep sand puts a lot of strain on them when trying to turn, cracks and in extreme cases failure is not unknown.

A/C up to snuff?

regards

Dave

Maybe have look at the fuel strainer on the end of the pick up? Not a big job and it would give peace of mind there too. I looked in one tank on an 80 and the strainer was floating around in the baffled side of the tank. They do get a sort of black algae that grows on them as well.
Also empty the cyclone bowl on the air box if you haven't done that already.

My after market rad lasted two years...

Dave2k, maybe im using the wrong internet phrase but i thought the PHHs are the coolant hoses which go from the back of the engine over the top of the gearbox to the second heater? Anyway, im worried about those because they dont look great and if they decide to go pop there goes most of my engine coolant. Oh and wot a/c? :-(

Chris, I'm told the previous owner dropped the tank and cleaned it out so im going to assume all is well for now - ignorane is bliss ;-)

This is what i have in mind...

Steering and suspension:
- Replace radius arm bushes and others if necessary but I can feel the RA bushes are shot without getting underneath it
- Replace track rods ends
Shocks, springs and steering damper are all less than a few thousand miles old.

Axle and drive line:
- Replace both differential outer pinion bearings and seals (front seal is leaking)
- Strip and regrease the CVs
- Replace all wheel bearings
The transfer box oil seal isnt leaking so im guessing that has been done already. The lockers have already been rebuilt and resealed. Both props almost have new UJs in them.

Coolant system:
- Replace water pump as I didnt have one to hand when I changed the cam belt
- Fit a genuine three core radiator
The coolant has been flushed and the thermostat replaced.

Electrics:
- Fit a split charge kit for a third battery and an auxilliary fuse box
I've got a crappy Milner alternator but will probably stick with it and carry and spare plus a spare starter motor as its an auto.

Stuff:
- I'd like the injector pump tweaked but only if it wont make my mpg worse and would be a job for someone like Julian who does them every week
- A new radio and aerial would be nice

In many cases I may keep some take off parts to carry as emergency spares (not the rad!).

And yes, an inspection of shock and steering mounts for cracks is a good shout. Does anyone have any photos of strengthening gussets?

No sniggering at the back thank you.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi, the PHH is known on the petrol engines as the Pesky Heater Hose, notorious for leaking at the most inconvenient time, the replacement is procedure is akin to a gynaecologist wallpapering his hallway through the letter box.

The rear heater metal pipes do rot through,though I have removed mine and the connections are soon to be serving to heat my camping water.

regards

Dave

Props are done. Yes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back