Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who do i call when the new M.O.T rules hold me to ransome ?

The testing stations here often have testers straight from a training centre, as opposed to a good old time served mechanic. Last year a new boy who was building his reputation as a right bastard, decided he would fail me about the orange indicators not being orange enough. I had just serviced this car and replaced the indicator bulbs, the plastic colouring burns off.

I explained to the cocky little sod they were new, and in fact picked up a box of ten on the way to the station as I was out of stock which I showed him. Ah he said...Lucas bulbs...English.......I turned the box around and showed him the 'Fabrica en Espana' label, got the pass!

I was going to say the little shit would have to get up early to catch me, I changed my mine......he had better stay up all night!

Regards

Dave

Interestingly we've been having to sublet a lot of mots out due to staff issue's, it's a mot only place and our failure work has gone up!!

Been quite a few things we've told them there's nothing wrong with it.
Things they've failed we wouldn't even advise, over keen and it's annoying.

Ive been taking my 80 to the same testers for 13 years. I sit in the motor and wiggle the steering wheel, turn the lights on etc etc. All whilst having a smoke and slurping on the big mug of tea they made for me.. old school, i like old school..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
When I worked for council, I could get the cars MOT'd there - they were fair and to the letter; that is, they tested what was to be tested/checked, and told you if it needed to be sorted.

In contrast, my RWC here in NSW are "interesting" - I reckon that they are only done to the letter in about 75% of the cases, even less if you know the mechanic....

Two Repair immediately (Major Defects) for the D4D90

Registration light bulb inoperative
Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases Central (bracket snapped off)

So a blown bulb and a 1cm diameter hole in a stainless steel straight through exhaust makes the truck unsafe to drive :laughing-rolling: :crying-blue::wtf:

When I moved to Spain many years back, they counted the tyres and noted the steering wheel was bolted on and away you went, now a torn seat can get you a warning!

Something else I found here that 'was' rare in the UK, is that some testers here are not time served mechanics, they are youngsters that have been to college and completed a course. Nothing wrong with that except when a subjective call has to be made, the lack of experience means they tend to fail rather than ask a more experienced tester for his or her advice.

I do try to present a tidy car so that has kept my 'desfavorable' list down to about six in something approaching 13 years, may go to seven later this month when I present my 80, just need to see how they see the rust issue that is going on underneath. :thumbdown:

Regards

Dave

Back