Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

scalci said:
Hi, yes it is only the glass moving. I must say I have not seen any hole. will look again ;)
I have the same problem with my mirror. I found the hole and unscrewed the screw, but the problem is a broken cast aluminium carrier (I think it's aluminium or Birmingham metal as we used to call unknown metal).
It hooks on in two places at the top (one of them is broken off) with the screw as the third anchor at the bottom. Need to botch it somehow... :whistle:

clivehorridge said:
scalci said:
Hi, yes it is only the glass moving. I must say I have not seen any hole. will look again ;)
. Need to botch it somehow... :whistle:
I botched one of my mirrors before I found a replacement by squirting expanding foam into the casing behind the glass and then positioning the mirror correctly before the foam set. This was only a temp fix as the casing was damaged as well as the internals and I needed a complete unit so it wasn't a problem not being able to adjust until I got a new one.

What haven't I done in the last few days. Striped both front hubs down to the swivels, removed diff, removed discs, striped callipers, removed TC front output housing, removed rear discs to check for bearing play, removed ARB bushes front and rear.

Now I know what parts I need I can get on with all the other jobs. Still got loads to do.

toyota Oil and filter

new cambelt, tensioner pulley, spring, and gasket for the cover

checked brakes and brakelines

dinitrol where needed

greased ujs and propshafts

stripped and greased passenger window runners and mechanism (still squeaks!)

replaced sheared steering arm stud in passenger side swivel.

Was that a torque shear then Jon as there are four ? Or are the other three just about to shear as well ?
Frank

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There were 2 recently new studs and 2 old studs. All were thread locked and only the sheared one was loose and came off when I tried turning it. I think probably the PO had a problem and they only replaced 2 of the studs and re-used two but that's no good because they get stress fractured once they've been loose even if they seem ok. Had to weld a nut onto the sunken remains of the sheared stud to remove it. Cleaned it all up, 4 new studs threadlocked, left it like that as lunch time was over and put it back together after tea.

Blimey! These studs appear to be a weak point. Suppose something has to go first especially with a lot of offroading. I expect some people don't drive in accordance with the Toyota off road driving guidelines.:icon-smile:.

Frank

It's poor practice during reassembly that's the problem, they're usually fine till someone undoes them and doesn't put them back together right.

Fitting steering guard this evening after putting it on a diet, ready for a trip to Foxham tomorrow.

OME in AHC out, Torsion bars indexed but will need some more time to settle as i add weight. Rear bumper and diff drop tomorrow.:icon-biggrin:

New front OME suspension fitted, refitted front diff, and rebuilt transfer case front extension hosing with new bearing and seal. Still got loads to do...

Rob what torque did you do your OME top mount nuts up to??? A turn or two over hand tight?

I have been told that if you use a an impact wrench, keep going until the nut bottoms out on the shank and then stop immediately. I did this top and bottom. I am fairly certain that this info came from Julian V but might of forgotten something as he told me this 3 years ago when I fitted my old OME shocks. Let me know if I have done them up incorrectly.

Fitting steering guard this evening after putting it on a diet, ready for a trip to Foxham tomorrow.
Or so I thought! :icon-evil:

Had to get the grinder out to "loosen" one of the bolts on the front recovery point and ruined the thread on one of the others getting it out so need to go and buy some new bolts in the morning AND I couldnt get the steering guard to fit anyway because one of my chassis horns is slightly bent (previous owner hit something) and the holes dont line up so looks like Ill need to take it to work and use the mill to elongate the holes.

Then juts to top it all off I noticed the rear diff front pinion oil seal is leaking AGAIN! I only changed that seal a couple of weeks ago!? :angry-banghead:

Looks like I wont make it to Foxham tomorrow after all. :(

Sorry to hear the steering guard didnt bolt straight on Dave. Fitted my 70 perfectly. :oops:

Did you fit a genuine seal, or a milners one? :think:

No worries Ben, I knew the nearside chassis leg was a bit bent but I hoped it would still fit ok as the holes were over sized. It looks like the leg is bent about 20mm judging by the holes on the guard. You might not recognise the guard either, some rather large tin worm has been at it! :D

Surprise, surprise the seal was a Milner one! :thumbdown: Id already bought it when you were having your seal problems so I decided to fit it anyway and hoped it would be ok as it looked very similar to the OEM one. Wont be making that mistake again! Ill have to keep an eye on how much its leaking, hopefully itll be ok for Lincomb as I dont have time to get a seal and fit it.

:thumbup:

milner seals really are crap. :thumbdown:

I certainly wont be using anything but genuine seals anymore. :icon-biggrin:

All of the old AHC gear has been removed. Not sure how they fit this stuff as you have to have hands the size of a small child to get to some of the bolts. New rear discs and pads fitted having had to rebuild the passenger side rear calliper as it was sticking and so had to bleed it.

Fitted the diff drop kit which was quite an easy job.

Took her for her first drive to the tip to get shot of all the bits I had collected like old discs lots of pipe work from the AHC systems and a number of other bits. Little bit stiffer but no nose dive under braking and she will soften as I now start to add weight.

Got the ARB rear bumper and all its bits out under the gazebo ready for tomorrow’s assembly in the rain. Now out for dinner and a drink or too with some mates.

Last edited:
Today i removed the towbar and made some recovery points for next week at Lincomb hope they are strong enough, used 10mm flat bar they might be needed as my diff lock actuator has just packed in and dont think i will have time to fix it before friday

Back