Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

I think you should also have an airbag in your steering wheel Chas if this is your petrol 80?

Jon Wildsmith said:
I think you should also have an airbag in your steering wheel Chas if this is your petrol 80?
:doh: Of course, I forgot the airbag.

fitted new rear brake pads .... found a sticky caliper on the drivers side ... and a bent slider pin the other side :roll: :roll:

I like that steering wheel Joinerman.

My trim is all plastic and very boring, no wood - not even plastic wood.

It would also be good to have a smaller wheel than the standard size.

No airbag on my 80... :whistle:

Oil change and checked everything over

replaced short length of front axle breather pipe thaw was showing cracks

replaced front pads (60,000 miles since they were changed) bled brakes.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Today I fitted two Carling switches I got ages ago from Jon W and was about to cut a hole in the side of the cubby box when I thought those little coin holders look about the right size for a switch so with just a little trimming Perfect fit, see pic below. :thumbup:
No I don't have an air locker, it was just a suitable switch.

Attachments

• DSCN0639.JPG
    DSCN0639.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 196
Fitting a set of Magnecor ignition leads, a set of Goodridge braided brake hoses, front ( and perhaps rear) brake pads and a brake fluid change.

If there's any time left, might look at the exhuast - I'm sure it's blowing (as it's louder) but not sure where from!!

chadr said:
Fitting a set of Magnecor ignition leads......

Well that was a miserable failure - the Magnecor leads seem to have different ends and won't fit! :(

I'll give them a call on Monday and see what they say - shame as I was hoping to get these "updates" done before we set off on our holiday next week.

The exhaust blow seems to be the downpipe - so that might become a bit of a ball-ache in time to come ...... :(

The brake pads were fine and will be good for at least another 10k or so at current wear rates.....the braided hoses went on without issue. The brake fluid was changed but overall, it hasn't made a huge difference to the pedal feel. Still quite a bit of travel in the pedal and the "feel" is a bit spongy for my liking. Having said all that, if you discount those subjective points, the truck comes to a stop quite satisfactorily.

Changed Cam Belt and Tensioner, changed thermostat, drained, flushed and changed the coolant, fitted high pressure radiator cap, checked powersteering fluid levels after last weekends pump re-build.

Might get around to replacing the rear diff front oil seal tomorrow.

Pulled 16mm cable through the firewall and set up my 12v power distribution ring-main - very effective and easy to add properly fused accessories now that need to run independent of the ignition

What you need Gary, is a bolt with a hole down the middle :whistle:

It's in the post.

C

Cheers Chris - minus the 'nut' I hope - don't need anymore of those around here :lol:

With you there. I woke up in the dustbin myself this morning. Missus said I was rubbish.

C

Tweaked a front wheel bearing. I have had issues with this particular one. I think it may be coming to the end of its life. Not noisy or anything, just struggling to get the right torque settings on it now. Under huge strain obviously with all this off road stuff, so no drama. Faced my two 54mm sockets up in the lathe to do the job. Wow, do they fit better or what.

Pulled air con rad (condenser) out too. It's falling apart, literally. And the drier too. Not sure about reinstating them actually. They block the main rad and make it very hard to clean when I have been in the mud. Once blocked, the rad adds a massive load on the fan sapping an enormous amount of power. This way, not only is the access better and the flow, but I can get my winch repositioned. I am making a new front winch bumper when I get chance. 4" lift kit going on probably.

Chris

Replaced rear pads and flushed fluid to rear calipers. Probably did them at just the right time, about 0.5mm left to the wear marker on the N/S and 1mm left on the O/S pair. I will keep them as emergency in case the vanishing rear pad gremlin should strike.
Had a bit of a struggle getting one of the calipers back on due slight ridges worn on the disks... Guess I should have it skimmed in an ideal world :? Anyway, all on and working well for now :mrgreen:

I took the HID kit off and replaced it with a headlight wiring upgrade kit and some high wattage Philips bulbs. I don't think i will get the truck into Oz with the HID kit. Waiting for it to get dark now to see what they look like compared to the HIDs.

IN order to pass MOT:-

- replaced front down pipe - the flexi section split 18 months back and its been getting progressively worse. fell in two as i took it off.

My exhaust is pretty short - chopped and ends next to transfer case.

- tomorrow replacing nearside flexible hose next to caliper. i had replaced it two months back with a part from Milners cos it was a quarter of the price of the yota part. but it was not quite the same angle and its been rubbing on the hub! so the original yota part lasted 17+ years, the new cheap part 2 months. ah well, many of their bits have worked admirably well. original yota part on tomorrow then.

then its another pass.

interstingly emission were even lower this year.
1.2 on the third of the tests, average 1.59.
i run currently 75% new veg oil and balance derv. 150ml shot acetone per tankful.

Back