Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Removed high pressure ac line to the rear. A 10 min job with a pair of snips and mounted the small Waeco centre console fridge.

Removed both rear hubs as the rear bearings have been an advisory on the last 2 MOTs and I was very surprised to find that the bearings were fine complete with what was left of the 16 year old bearing grease. You know the bearings are over specced when you start experiencing fatigue failures on wheel studs before the bearings need replacing.

Had a busy couple of days on the 80, bit more work on the sliders and an unplanned coolant change after catching a pipe to the rear heater! Got some coolant from Toyota for the best price lol ;-)
I've refitted the second cat converter so I can make a skid plate thats part of the slider. Plan on making a new exhaust and repositioning the cats but that'll have to wait, just had to fit a fuel pump to the focus which was £350 at trade price!!!! It broke down and the choice was fix it asap or let the wife use the 80!!!! Broke down sat afternoon, fuel pump fitted Monday eve after work, the 80 is safe lol.

Gary would you mind telling us how much the red stuff was? It's just that my local toyothief won't entertain any discount and unfortunately Simon our preferred parts man can't get courier co. to carry the stuff
Thanks
Ram

I know we have argued this long and hard in the past, but red coolant in a 20 year old motor? What is SO special about a cruiser that it won't run on Halfords antifreeze. A new Lamborghini, Zonda, Ferrari? Maybe. But a big old truck engine like the 4.2. I just find it hard to believe that it really need something scraped from the wings of an angel under a full moon. It's my choice entirely, but I stopped lining Mt T's pockets for his special Snake Oil along time ago. Oddly, I haven't noticed any side effects to that decision. It's more important to keep the rad clean and clear I think. I off road my old beast as you know and it gets a work out at very low speeds with no driven air cooling and it never gives me a moment's problem.

C

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I know we have argued this long and hard in the past, but red coolant in a 20 year old motor? What is SO special about a cruiser that it won't run on Halfords antifreeze. A new Lamborghini, Zonda, Ferrari? Maybe. But a big old truck engine like the 4.2. I just find it hard to believe that it really need something scraped from the wings of an angel under a full moon. It's my choice entirely, but I stopped lining Mt T's pockets for his special Snake Oil along time ago. Oddly, I haven't noticed any side effects to that decision. It's more important to keep the rad clean and clear I think. I off road my old beast as you know and it gets a work out at very low speeds with no driven air cooling and it never gives me a moment's problem.

C

DITTO,DITTO,DITTO.

Roger

Last edited:
Best price as in I didn't pay for it!! Toyota is next door to my work, wandered into workshop and asked for some :);-) otherwise it'd get the stuff in ive got at work. I try avoid paying for consumables when I can tbh. Tight... maybe but I'm from Yorkshire :)

Not on the truck, I'm putting LED tubes in my garage light fittings.
MSN-Emoticon-radiography-187.gif

Fittings fitted, without electrocuting myself,:icon-rolleyes: nice and bright in the man cave now. There will be a third fitting off-camera to the left of picture over the workbench.
You can see from the level of the painted bricks (original height) how much I had the roof raised by to fit in the other 80 with the roof tent on. Actually it wasn't just raised it's a completely new roof as the old one was corrugated asbestos. :thumbdown:
PS
That light on the beam above the roll up door is on a PIR detector so when I drive in the light comes on

20130720_170935.jpg

Last edited:
Looks Good Chas. I would like to raise the roof on my garage but as its integral is could prove difficult :lol:

Gary in my books that's not being tight but being careful with your money
I don't think any one of us would turn down a freebie, like they say if you don't ask, you don't get
simples

Very jealous of that garage Chas - it's awesome! I also love your thinking - my car doesn't fit with the tent and it's too hard to take on and off ... so i'll just raise the roof 3 foot :D

Hi ho, hi ho, its off to the MOT station I go with the GS. Should be ok as its only done 2K since the last one. Just had to strip the handbrake right down to unsieze the inner cable pivots but apart from that it all looked ok.
Back for 8.00

Andy

Declared the 80 sorn today! It's hardly moved from the man cave recently while I've been doing work to it so made sense rather then re taxing. I run around in the wife's focus and use her petrol instead lol.

I replaced both tie rod ends when the wheel alignment centre highlighted about 3mm of play in the left one. The last set from Milners did 40k miles and might have lasted longer if I had noticed the boot had split and the joint had zero grease left in it (after a lot of gravel roads and water crossings).

The 80 is back on the road after a rear diff rebuild and front axle strip down as the front diff gasket was leaking. On assembly I noticed that the rear prop is assembled 90 degrees out so took it down the the propshaft place in bristol to assemble it correctly and balance it. Could of done it myself but I had a 50% chance of getting it the right way round.

Checked the LC over following alps trip. Replaced front brake pads.

Back