Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

I fancy fitting one, is it an easy job to do ? Thinking starter kit fleabay for £60 notes?

Steve

Easy enough yeah, I've put The antenna on the A bar and the Cb in mounted to the side of the centre console (sticky pad tho, there's no screw holes in the dash and I'm keeping it like that) I just need to connect the swr meter tonight and adjust if needed.

My OSF indicator stopped winking, on inspection it was jammed solid with Lincomb mud, :doh: our friendly used parts man Karl supplied me with another unit which is now flashing merrily away. :thumbup:

Replaced the steering rack bushes and rear drop links today. Drop links took all of 20 minutes. Rack bushes a bit longer!! But had the whole lot done in 2 hours, so happy enough. Put in Superpro bushes from Roughtrax, very easy to fit. Onwards..... With slightly sharper steering!

Replaced rear locker in abysmal conditions. But then it got out a bit later on. So replaced the aircon front condenser. Took it to Toyota the other day and they vacuum tested it and re gassed it for me. Got 1/2 mile before it went in 3 places. Not on joints, just in the fins and oddly it looked so good. So got one on next day from Autokool. It was actually filled with compressed gas (nitrogen maybe) I guess to keep it dry and prove it holds pressure. Fitted a treat and added my brand new roller blind that someone donated a while back. Replaced all the wrong bolts and drilled out the various snapped ones. We're getting there. Had a aquizz at the front brakes, they look good. No work needed there yet. Upper control arms rather crusty as is the panhard. I have spares.

Then did the cambelt. I think it sounds even sweeter now if that's possible.

Well I change my rear crank oil seal this morning in my KZJ78, it was the original seal in there with the felt dust seal and done 132000.

I figured out how all my right side shirt collars were getting so dirty - turns out I need to wash my seat belts once every 15 years. I couldn't believe how dirty they were and I never noticed. They feel like they are made from a different material now.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Finally tracked down an extremely annoying LOUD squeak that's been making my life hell for about three weeks, :angry-screaming: what was making it was one of my rear drawers wooden faces rubbing on the frame, this had been caused by me removing stuff from the drawer to save weight allowing the face to raise up a bit, cured it temporarily with a bit of Gaffa tape, tomorrow will trim the face down.

If you can't fix it with Gaffa tape you haven't used enough.

Drawer face now trimmed and I have a silent (almost) Land Cruiser. :thumbup:

Lil' Blue back from the welder after breaking the support turret on the rear axle

P1040048_zpsa9d02f26.jpg

They have also welded a bracing support back to the axle casing.

9B0FDCB0-6185-403A-8E84-1AE80B4569F2-694-0000014207CE196D_zps29de37de.jpg

Well that should keep it serviceable for a few more years yet, looks like they've done a proper job there.

Just been out and changed the front pinion seal on the transfer box,also changes the transfer box and gearbox oils while I was under there.

Mick

Replaced spark plugs (genuine ones but from Milner) air filter, drive belts, front and rear discs and pads, fitted new rear slider bolts and changed brake fluid (to 3 wheels). Just waiting on a front caliper.
Pads were all about half worn and discs had seen better days, brakes were fading far too easily as rears were sticking and a front caliper had a stiff piston. Even handbrake works now!!!

Brake pads all round on the 120, needed 2 calipers on rear which was a tad more expensive than expected.

good job on the weld repair on lil'blue
what was the otherside looking like?

The other side still has a bit more meat on it, so it'll keep for now but will get the same treatment if needed in the future.

Unjammed my winch line that got fouled up pulling those oak tree segments the other day, I couldn't pull it out manually (the free spool lever wouldn't move) so I attached it to a concrete post and then drove in reverse on tickover while at the same time winching out.

It was so jammed it brought the truck to a standstill a few times, it's in now in the garage draped over my bonnet drying out, I'll winch it back on in the morning.
I also removed the D shackle and put a bow shackle on the end of the winch line, see Chris I do listen to what you say.
respect-055.gif

Finally got round to fitting the Pedders castor correction bushes. Handling much improved.:clap:

Have now completed front and rear axle rebuilds, sorted stuffed locker, mild lift and naturally BEBs.
Still lots more to do. :crazy:

Next on Santa's list is decent tyres, black out the chrome bling and a roof rack - someday.

For those that like pics, my cruiser so far:
cruiser.jpg

I know its not exactly maintenance but it is perhaps preservation. 3 years ago I bought a house to let with a "mans" garage at the bottom of the garden. Yesterday I agreed a let without the garage being part of it, so I have extra storage:icon-biggrin:
So today I put a couple away for the winter.

IMG_0421_zps6a1633e6.jpg

It's super secure and there is room for one across the front. This is what I call a RESULT :icon-biggrin:
If it stores them dry there is a chance they will last longer.

Andy

Back